Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nathaniel M Pigott - the challenge continues.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathaniel M Pigott - the challenge continues.........

This gentleman is the brick wall I most want to raze to rubble but even after 8yrs I have probably only just loosened some mortar but at the same time probably added another layer of bricks! So if you have some spare time and fancy a challenge I'd be very grateful for some fresh eyes - mine are jaded.

The family returned from Australia on 30 September 1896 on the Austral. Mr & Mrs C R Pigott, J S Pigott 13, Four children and 1 infant. which accounts for all the births of the children they had before leaving for Australia and the ones they had in Australia apart from the illusive Nathaniel - whose birth is a mystery.

Nathaniel first pops up in the 1901 census.

The 1901 census record reference is RG13 Piece 800 Folio 52 Page 16 and he is shown as son born in Bega NSW Australia - but his birth has already been searched for in Australia and not been found - all his siblings who were born there births have been found and he wasn't with them on the ship.

Then along comes the 1911 census

The 1911 census record reference in RG14 Piece 4374 Registration District 59 Household Schedule 68. It shows 8 living children - all found and accounted for and 3 deceased children - 2 accounted for so GUESSING the third is Nathaniel but no record of his death in the UK can be found. The family lived in Whitstable in Kent so the registration area is Blean.

I came across a medal sold 28 March 2012 by Dix Noonan and Webb - the listing had Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1902 (5456 Pte. M. Pigott, 2nd Dragoon Gds.) some edge bruising to reverse, very fine £90-120. I contacted the QDG archives and they confirmed the soldier with that number was a Nathaniel M Pigott and provided the following information.

Thank you for your request for information on the above named soldier. This has been a long and difficult search with I am afraid very poor results. (see below). This record will be kept alive and if any new information arrives we will inform you.

PRIVATE NATAHNIEL M PIGOTT 5456 QUEENS BAYS (2ND DRAGOON GUARDS)
    Enlisted c1901 possibly Aldershot
    Records searched:
    1901 Barrack census dated 31st March 1901 Aldershot. (He does not appear on this roll).
    1901 Barrack census for 3rd Station Hospital Wellington Lines Aldershot (He does not appear on this roll)
    1901 South Africa Medal roll. He appears as a Private on this roll entitled to the South Africa Medal with 4 clasps Cape Colony: Orange Free State: Transvaal: SA02 Location of medal not known.
    1901-02 List of casualties for the Boer War (He does not appear on this list)
    WW1 1914 Star Roll. (He does not appear on this list)
    On-Line Records at findmypast and ancestry. Apart from his entry on the SA medal roll no records could be found.
    When the peace treaty was signed to end the war in SA the Queens Bays moved to Middleburgh where they spent the next 5 years on occupation duties. They returned to London (Hounslow) in 1908.
    In 1910 they moved to Aldershot, Hampshire where they stayed until embarking for France & Flanders in 1914

In all this he was allegedly born in 1889 so he would've somewhere between 12 -14 when he was in the QDG and fighting in the Boer war. Not necessarily impossible I know.

I'm fast beginning to think he was an unofficial adopted son which if that is the case I probably don't have any chance of finding out who he really was - but do we think it is safe to assume he had died by 1911 as he appears to be included in the number of children of the family and possibly died in South Africa - in which case why is there no record of his death in QDG archives?.

The 10 family children are as follows:
    Shreeve John Paynton Pigott b 26 Feb 1883 Canterbury Kent UK d 2 Nov 1956 Guildford Surrey England
    Amelia Grace Mary Pigott b 1886 B'ham UK d 1963 UK
    Ralph Pigott b 1888 Jellet NSW Australia d 25 Sept 1916 France
    Augusta Claudia Pigott b 9 Jul 1891 Picton NSW Australia d 1979 UK
    Cecilia Ann Maud Pigott b 9 Sept 1894 Picton NSW Australia d 1958 UK
    Launcelot Pouncey Pigott b 8 Feb 1896 Picton NSW Australia d 1958 UK
    Henriette Marguerite Piggot b&d 1897 Kent UK
    Richard Barrington Pigott b 11 Jan 1899 Kent UK d 21 Dec 1916 France
    Charles Judd Pigott b 1905 d 1906 Kent UK
    Rosemary Agnes Pigott b 1907 Kent UK d 1919 Kent UK

Nathaniel would've been born between Ralph and Augusta.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

any ideas what the M stands for ?

Comment

None what so ever Val although there is a thought that it might be a surname sounding name.............
      Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

am probably way off here but could he be Nathan Mark ?

Comment

Mr N Mark
          Male
          Age 18
          Birth year 1889
          Marital status S
          Occupation MERCHANT
          Departure year 1907
          Departure day 2
          Departure month 7
          Departure port Southampton
          Destination port Cape
          Country South Africa
          Ship name Guelph
          Ship official number 104040
          Ship master's first name H
          Ship master's last name Strong
          Shipping line The Union Castle Line
          City Southampton
          Ship destination port South Africa
          Ship square feet 2156
          Ship registered tonnage 4917
          Number of passengers 109
          Record set Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

as I said probably completely wrong

Comment

Working...
            X