Waldron of Plymouth, 1904 ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waldron of Plymouth, 1904 ish

From FMP I have the baptism record of Elester Waldron, b. 29th Sep 1904 and baptised 16th Oct 1904,St Mark's, Ford, Plymouth. The parents are given as Samuel & Emily Waldron.

What I have not been able to find are

i) The marriage of Samuel and Emily
    ii) The death of Samuel which I believe must have occured 1904/5 as Emily goes on to marry Malachi Stark Q1 1905. The 1905 marriage registration give the name of Emily Louisa Waldron.

Suspect I will have to get the certificate to pin this down but was wondering if anybody is able to help.

Lots of confusion over Elester's name in various family tree - Waldron, Waldon, Maldron, Maldon etc, etc

Thanks for any help you can provide

Dermot

What other evidence of Samuel's existence do you have , are they together on the 1901 census for instance ?

The birth certificate from 1904 will make it clear whether they were presenting themselves as married, and the marriage certificate from 1905 will show if she is described as a spinster or widow ? Remarrying quite so quickly after the birth of a child and (supposedly) the death of a husband would be unusual for a woman although not unheard of- are you 100% sure it is the same woman ?

I would certainly be suspicious about whether the marriage/ death exist - but as always you have to look at the evidence.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Interestingly, the 1911 census in Wales has her surname handwritten as Stark which is then crossed out with Naldson written over it.
      Joy

Comment

Waldron, without any variations, is not a common surname in Plymouth and the only marriages there that I can find for a Samuel are in 1876 to a Mary or to an Evelina, and in 1904 to a Minnie or an Elizabeth.
        It is a puzzle.
        Joy

Comment

Malachi has a lovely set of names :D

from a Public Family Tree .........

Malachi Abel Albany Daniel Stark
          Birth Q4 1884 in Devonport, Devon, England
          Death Q2 1923 in Devonport, Devon, England
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is it possible that Emily was a Waldron by birth??

I found an Emily Waldron, age 14, domestic servant on the 1901 Census, and then also in the 1891 Census with her parents.

Is it possible that she had an illegitimate baby, possibly with Malachi, but gave a fictitious name fro the baptism?
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If you are correct that Emily Louisa Waldron married Malachi Stark, Banns were called in March/April 1903 at St Mark's, Ford for a marriage between a woman of that name, spinster of the parish, and Charles Henry Joy, bachelor of the parish. A note to the side of the entry reads 'Man found to be married already in time to stop the proposed marriage'. No doubt, someone hearing the Banns read knew the potential groom's marital status and told the vicar.
              However, if this was your Emily Louisa Waldron, it would seem that she was a spinster at that time and presumably so when Elesta was born, just before her marriage to Malachi Stark. In the 1911 census, Emily's birthplace is also recorded as Portsmouth, Hants and if, by chance, Samuel Waldron was her father's name, there are several candidates in various censuses at Portsmouth.
              It seems as though there is still some considerable work to do here, before you resolve the mystery.

Good luck with your searches.

merleyone

Comment

I have a possible theory about this but I'm afraid I haven't got time to post it now as of to the dentist. Will post as soon as I can.

In the meantime Dermot. If the person is now deceased can you tell us which one you are following backwards please? Please don't post the name of anyone who is, or could still be living though.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-11-15, 11:39.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My interest is in the Stark family which is my wife's maiden name. Done quiet a bit of researching over the last few years and now looking at trying to tidy up some of the loose ends, like Elester. I know she marries Lesley Colwill in 1923 and dies in 1966. Both events are in Plymouth. The issues lies will the confusion over here birth. Will look to get her birth certificate next week I think and that of here parents Emily and Malachi.

Comment

I agree that you do need to send for the birth certificate of Elester. Of course it may not give a fathers name and the father may not have been Malachi anyway. I don’t believe that Emily was married previously either.

Looking at the 1911 census my guess is that she may have been this one - Emily Louise Waldron born Jan-March 1884 Newton Abbott 5b 15

Elester Waldron born Oct-Dec 1904 Devonport 5b 294

Emily Louisa Waldron married March 1905 Devonport 5b 547 and there is a Robert Stark on the same page and reference. Same year and month, added at the bottom of the page is a Malachi A A D Stark ref Devonport 5b 546a

I couldn’t find a death that fit for Emily Louisa/Louise but I did wonder about the Emily Stark who died in June 1966 aged 83 in Taunton ref 7c 219

As you have researched the Stark family quite a lot. Can you tell me please what happened to Malachi’s brother Joseph? I saw a marriage for Joseph H Stark in June 1925 in Devonport 5b 741 and on the same page was an Emily Stark. As Malachi died in 1923 I was wondering whether Emily married his brother afterwards. Especially as there was another possible child born in June 1928 in Devonport.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Well I think Emily is becoming a bit of a boggie name for me!!

Reason is that I have Joseph Stark in the 1911 England census married to.... yes another Emily Stark. They have been married for 6 years (cannot yet find the marriage record) and have 3 living children. There is also one child that has died. Also in the house is Emily's mother Mary Wilbourne and a younger brother Leonard. I'm pretty that this is the correct Joseph and the baptism records of the eldes two children show the father as Joseph Henry Satrk and the mother as Emily Elizabeth. However Joseph's age in the census is given as 32, whilsts I would have expected an age of 29 based on a 1882 registration of birth for Joseph Henry T S H Stark (Q2 1882 Stoke D 5b 328). This age decrepancy first appears 1901 census where he appears to have aged the extra 3 years.
                      If Joseph H and Emily divorced at some point and then remarried in 1925 might explanin the later entry. Another mystery to look into!!!!!

Comment

Yes, I had already looked at that 1911 census Dermot but Emily Elizabeth Stark died in Dec 1911. That's why I wondered if the later marriage was to widow Emily Louise/Louisa and she just used her first name for some reason. I'm afraid it looks as though a few certs will be needed.

p.s. I noted also that Joseph's age was nearer the truth on his death in 1942 aged 61.
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-11-15, 10:30.

Comment

Working...
                        X