Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Genealogist free trial

I have received this offer:
    You'll enjoy free access to our Gold Personal Premium - 50 Day Trial subscription. After this, we'll use the below details to setup your Gold Personal Premium - Six monthly subscription for you at £44.95 every 6 Months so you can enjoy hassle free continued access. You will not be charged until the end of your free access and you can cancel at any time during this period (Details will be in your activation email)

I have had bad experiences with giving my card details and then having big problems in cancelling before the end of the trial period on other sites. Has anyone successfully signed up and then cancelled without any hassle? Did the trial run to the end of the 50 days even after cancelling?
    Last edited by webwiz; 10-11-15, 18:05.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

They do require an email to cancel on this site, there is no button to click to remove your details. Having said that, they did cancel when I emailed them after a 1 year sub.
    Anne

Comment

I had a free trial recently, there is no box to uncheck to prevent another payment being taken as there is with Find My Past or Ancestry, you have to email them. I did this and asked for confirmation that they had cancelled, they emailed me back within a couple of days to confirm.

Comment

I had a lot of problems a few years ago when I wanted to cancel my subscription. I won't go back to them again.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks. I am still thinking about it. Did you wait until near the end of the trial period and did you find their data any better than Ancestry or FMP?

Comment

I've had a couple of free trials with The Genealogist and have had no trouble cancelling the subscription. I used the "contact us" form on the website and received confirmation of my cancellation within a day or two.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
              Thanks. I am still thinking about it. Did you wait until near the end of the trial period and did you find their data any better than Ancestry or FMP?
              I emailed them a couple of weeks before the sub was due to expire just saying I didn't want to renew. There was no problem - the subscription ran until the due date.
              As to records, I didn't find anything that I hadn't already found on Ancestry or FMP!
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                I left it a couple of days after starting the trial and seeing what sorts of records would be useful (in a panic in case it took ages to sort it out, though it didn't). Most of what they have I already had access to on other subscription sites. The tithe records were new to me though. If I was just starting out on research they would be as good as any other site.

Comment

You do need to give yourself at least a week before the sub runs out just to be certain they email the cobfirmation of cancellation to you in time. I can confirm the sub stays active till your appointed time is up.
                  The latest unique records that Genealogist have are only available to Diamond subscribers. Gold is not the full service.
                  The free trials are usually 14 or 30 days. 50 days is very generous of them. They must be desperate for custom! The search facility is pretty gruesome and clunky.

Comment

Well I decided to give it a go. But rather disappointed as every interesting record comes up saying "needs a diamond sub". The Gold sub does not seem to offer anything extra versus Ancestry or FMP in terms of records, but their smartsearch would save a bit of time for someone just starting. It is rather disappointing that several sites have duplicated transcribing the censuses and the BMD registers when there is still so much that has not been transcribed by anyone. I will not be continuing after the free trial unless I discover something special.

Comment

Working...
                    X