why so many fireman from London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why so many fireman from London

1911 has a relative William Gallacher a Fireman aboard The Ship Incharga in Middlesborough Yorkshire, what is interesting me is why so many London and Japanese Crew

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-15, 21:42.

London was probably where they took on the crew.

OC

Comment

why am I surprised? suppose I thought they would have their own crew OC
      Last edited by Guest; 07-11-15, 21:52.

Comment

Val, the ship with the Japanese crew is the Hitachi Maru not the Incharga. The crew of the Incharga are listed before the ship description! Go back to page 18 of the census set. The description of the Japanese ship comes after that crew list and is a much larger ship than the Incharga.
        Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 07-11-15, 22:25.

Comment

The Incharga, among others has 3 engineers plus the chief engineer and six firemen. Presumably the engine room/boiler room is organised into three shifts comprising the

junior engineers and 2 firemen per shift. The firemen essentially are called stokers these days with main duties of keeping the boilers stoked and steam pressure up to feed

the engine/s. There is also listed a donkeyman whose main duties are keeping minor machinery fit for their various functions.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Val

Ships take on crews whenever they need to. I don't think ships had permanent crews. Most seamen sign on for one journey.

OC

Comment

oh is it thanks Anne shall have a look, and thanks Grumpy and OC , I have been looking for his Father and a couple of his brothers who were also Stokers or Fireman, is it likely then they would be overseas?

Comment

Val

they could be anywhere in the world! (Near the sea, of course).

OC

Comment

thanks OC would they be on any lists anywhere though?

Comment

Val

I don't know but it doesn't seem very likely- once the crew is paid off it's nothing to do with anyone else what they do next (and where they do it, lol). Of course, if they were paid off in England then they would be on the 1911 census somewhere in England presumably.

OC

Comment

I have the the whole family missing in 1881
                      The Father missing in 1881 1891 and his death
                      a Son missing in 1911
                      and another Son missing in 1901 so frustrating like to tie up loose ends, good thing though is their photos were on the Merchant Seaman records a big bonus.
                      Thanks OC

Comment

Well I've just found a missing son - his father drowned in 1876 off the Farne Island and 49 years later in January 1915 his son's ship hit a mine off Middlesborough and sank. Only reason I found him was because his name was on the Commonwealth War Graves Memorial in London.

Both deaths were registered in Scotland under Scotlandspeople Minor Records despite their ships going down off English coast.

So if you can't find a death for your people try where the Ship was registered or travelling from/to

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

Ah yes - we have to remember that deaths are registered where they occur, not where the person lived.

This caught me out when I was new to researching. Couldn't find my 2 x GGF's death, even though I knew the exact date from his gravestone. When I eventually decided to cast a bit further afield, I discovered he died in another county, even though we thought he had never gone further than the end of the road all his life!

Also have Scottish sea-faring relatives who died all over the world.

OC

Comment

thats a great help JBee will have a look on there ,I would never have thought to look further afield OC but you got me thinking now thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X