1939 Register Isle of Wight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register Isle of Wight

Just in case some of you (like me until I figured it out!) were not getting all the Isle of Wight records expected when choosing county as Hampshire do note that FMP have the IoW as a separate county. The borough/district is not IoW in these cases but e.g. Cowes UD etc.

thanks for that Bertie

Comment

The Isle of Wight used to be part of Hampshire until it became a county in it's own right. I'm not sure when it changed over though. So you should search for both counties.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

This page might help - http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...f%20wight.html

Also this -
        The Isle of Wight was part of the County of Southampton until 1890, when it became an independent administrative county. Until 1974 it continued to share its Lord Lieutenant with Hampshire, when it was reconstituted as a non-metropolitan ceremonial county which gave it its own Lord Lieutenant and was recognised as a postal county.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-11-15, 09:43.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Peter Calver had the link to this useful list in the latest newsletter which confirms Bertie's advice:

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
          X