Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register - Surnames

Hi

Just been doing some searches on the free side of the 1939 Register. Is anyone able to confirm that where a womans surname is shown as 'Name (Different name)' , that the Different name is the maiden name off the woman.

Thanks

Dermot

so far my married ones say the maiden name and the married name

Comment

My grandmother comes up with her married name, Taylor, as her name with her maiden name, Phillips, in brackets. She went by Megan not her given name and that came up with her unused name in brackets.
      Clare

Comment

It'll be another name she was known by, which might be her maiden name or it might be something else.

OC

Comment

My great aunt comes up in her second married name, with her current (1939) married name in brackets.

Her first husband did not die until 1948, and she remarried in 1951

The Register was continuously updated into the 1990s ........

....... for example, both my brother and uncle are showing on the free search. Both should have been closed as both were born after 1915, but both died around 1991/1992.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is there going to be any updating? ie unlocking those born in 1916 and subsequent years.

Does the National Identity number show on the record?

We're looking for someone born 1918/9 but don't have a date of birth so can't confirm she's died.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

From the freebie bit, I can see an aunt of mine who didn't marry until 1941, listed as Married Surname(Maiden Surname), Given Name.
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                We're looking for someone born 1918/9 but don't have a date of birth so can't confirm she's died.
                Transcription is quite bad in places. Some of my Goodwins are listed as Grodwin! I managed to find my parents via my brother who, although b.1939, died in 1989, so his record is open.
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

JBee

Yes, locked records will be opened when the person concerned would have reached 100 years old, so born 1916 will be opened in 2016 and so on.

Incidentally, people who are still alive now and who are over 100 years old can have their record CLOSED if they wish. I wonder how many will take up that offer! (There are more than 48,000 people in the UK over the age of 100)

OC

Comment

Is there going to be any updating? ie unlocking those born in 1916 and subsequent years.

Does the National Identity number show on the record?

Yes to your first question: https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/watch-1436591498.html

The ID number can be worked from the image: http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      Yes to your first question: https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/watch-1436591498.html

The ID number can be worked from the image: http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm
                      That doesn't work for me. My NI number is nothing like the number given on the 1939 record for my mother.
                      Moggie

Comment

I used to have a 4 letter followed by 2 numbers as my NHS no. - Then it was computerised and I haven't a clue what it is now - as it isn't as easy to remember

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                          That doesn't work for me. My NI number is nothing like the number given on the 1939 record for my mother.
                          Moggie
                          The NI (National Insurance) number is a different beast and is for paying our taxes etc. - it was the NHS number that came out of the National ID number from 1939: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/...hs-number.aspx

The link I posted earlier explains the NHS number: http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm
                          Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            The NI (National Insurance) number is a different beast and is for paying our taxes etc. - it was the NHS number that came out of the National ID number from 1939: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/...hs-number.aspx

The link I posted earlier explains the NHS number: http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm
                            I did read the links you posted Caroline & I am still confused. Just got my medical card out with my NHS number & that too bears no resemblance to the number at the bottom of my mother's 1939 record. I thought that the number after the last / referred to a person's position in the household ie 01 for father, 02 for mother etc etc. My mother's says /42 when there was only me & her in the household. 42 was the number of the house where we lived.
                            Moggie

Comment

I did read the links you posted Caroline & I am still confused. Just got my medical card out with my NHS number & that too bears no resemblance to the number at the bottom of my mother's 1939 record. I thought that the number after the last / referred to a person's position in the household ie 01 for father, 02 for mother etc etc. My mother's says /42 when there was only me & her in the household. 42 was the number of the house where we lived.
                              Moggie
                              I have no idea - I can only google and just found this as well: http://www.wsh.nhs.uk/PatientsVisito...NHSNumber.aspx
                              Caroline

Comment

Thanks Caroline
                                That explains the difference in NHS numbers.
                                Moggie

Comment

Thanks Caroline
                                  That explains the difference in NHS numbers.
                                  Moggie
                                  Good, I 'm glad that's sorted.
                                  Caroline

Comment

I used to have a 4 letter followed by 2 numbers as my NHS no. - Then it was computerised and I haven't a clue what it is now - as it isn't as easy to remember
                                    Ditto, though mine was 4 letters and 3 numbers. I can still remember it. I'm registered with my GP for online prescription ordering, so my current NHS number is within easy reach if needed.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X