Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register - missing great grandparents

Hi all

As I mentioned on the main 1939 register thread, I'm unable to find my great grand father and his family on the 1939 register - thank you Val for suggesting I start this thread.

His date of birth (and therefore birth certificate) is a mystery to me and has been for a number of years so I was hoping that the register may help to narrow this down (previous thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/archi...p/t-97937.html )

Please don't anyone use any credits opening households - I'm just looking for some possibilities for the family before I go blowing my birthday money on credits!

This is all that I know about the family:

Alexander Lowther (great grandfather):
    Born - towards the end of 1904 or the very start of 1905 - based on ages given in the 1911 census, his marriage certificate and death certificate - his age does seem to be pretty consistent, location per 1911 census was Benwell, Northumberland; parents believed to be John Henry (also known as Henry John) Lowther and Jane Moore
    Census - 1911 census (living 31 Milton Street, Greenside, Ryton on Tyne with parents, 2 brothers and a sister)
    Marriage - 5 December 1925 - Castle Ward district, Northumberland
    Death - 29 July 1959

Ruth Annie Elliot (great grandmother):
    Born - 7 July 1906 - Rothbury, Northumberland; parents Georgina White and James Elliot (James died inn WW1 so Georgina was remarried by 1939 to John Fitzpatrick)
    Marriage - as above
    Death - Q2 1983 - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Alexander and Ruth had two children - Alexander (b 1926 d 2013) who was born in Hazelrigg, Northumberland, and a girl (b 1927 d - could possibly be alive still) born in Castle Ward district, Northumberland

Alexander's parents were originally from Cumberland, but had moved to Northumberland during the 1900's before moving to Durham; whilst Ruth's parents were originally from Northumberland. The family were very much based in Northumberland by the 1940's and 1950's so I would expect to find them here in 1939 (but have also looked at both Cumberland and Durham)

Any suggestions for possible households to check out?

Many thanks in advance
    Geri

Can you provide a link to the 1911 census on Ancestry, or give me some more details on it? It should say on the 1911 census where he was born.

I've found his probate information here.

I'll try to find his birth for you, but need some more details if possible. Once that is sorted, we can find him on the Register.
    Last edited by James18; 02-11-15, 13:25.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Just as a possibility, I ran a search for an Alexander Lowther on ScotlandsPeople, born between 1900 and 1910. No results. Just on the off-chance he was born north of the border and they later moved south.

There's this chap born in Hartlepool, although it's a few years off your 1904-1905 estimate.

Comment

Hi James

I don't have an ancestry sub at the minute so can't do a link but the page is RG14; Piece 30536

Address: 31 Milton Street Greenside Ryton
        John Henry Lowther 37
        Jane Lowther 30
        Scott Nichol Lowther 11
        John Henry Lowther 7
        Alexanderia Lowther 6
        Violet Lowther 8/12

I have checked with the Hartlepool registry office and that birth is definitely not him.

Thanks Geri

Comment

Well, the Alexander Lowther born in 1909 in Hartlepool is on a separate census, so we can at least rule him out, and of course the age gap was a bit awkward anyway.

Have you managed to find birth records for Alexander's siblings? Were they all registered with the names given on the 1911 census? I suppose it's possible he either wasn't registered, or was registered under a different name but his parents later changed their mind, or called him by a middle name, etc.

I'll keep looking for you. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

Comment

I can find the records for half brother Scott Nichol Moore in 1900 born in Cumberland and younger sister Violet born in 1910 in Durham, but I haven't yet been able to track down the birth record for Alexander's older brother John Henry/Henry John.

Thanks for looking James

Comment

Would this happen to be your John Henry Lowther?

Name: John H Lowther
              Birth Date: abt 1904
              Date of Registration: Mar 1941
              Age at Death: 37
              Registration district: Northumberland Central
              Inferred County: Northumberland
              Volume: 10b
              Page: 968

Do you know when he died? Think that's about right?

It does abt. 1904, which matches the 1911 census. No luck finding a birth yet, though.

Comment

Yes, I think that this is him but haven't checked for definite as I've not got the death certificate yet

Comment

sorry was going to help but husband got in the way, Men really,

could he by chance be registered as Alexander Moore

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking at Moores. No luck so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      sorry was going to help but husband got in the way, Men really,

could he by chance be registered as Alexander Moore
                      Not a problem, I have toddlers causing the same problems!

There is a chance of Moore, although his parents were married in March 1903. From memory (of a lot of searching quite a while ago) I don't remember seeing any suitable Alexander Moore candidates

Comment

An outside possibility?

Name: John Henry Lowther
                        Registration Year: 1906
                        Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                        Registration district: Auckland
                        Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
                        Inferred County: Durham
                        Volume: 10a
                        Page: 252

Comment

have found a Ruth Annie Elliott born 1909 living in Bellingham RD Northumberland?

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...birth_offset=2
                          This one will be one on my to look at list as there are the right number of people in the household, however, the thing that's holding me back about it is that I know Ruth's exact date of birth is 7 July 1906 and perhaps less significantly is that Ruth is Elliot rather than Elliott

Comment

if he was in the army in 1939 would he appear on the 1939 register

Comment

A slim possibility, if John could have been in Yorkshire. Do we know who he married?

Not found Alexander yet...

EDIT: Ah!

This'll be him?
                              Last edited by James18; 02-11-15, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
                                An outside possibility?

Name: John Henry Lowther
                                Registration Year: 1906
                                Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                                Registration district: Auckland
                                Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
                                Inferred County: &nbsp Durham
                                Volume: 10a
                                Page: 252
                                Agree an outside possibility, unfortunately I need to wait until I'm feeling a little richer before double checking

Comment

if he was in the army in 1939 would he appear on the 1939 register
                                  I've wondered about the army, his occupation was a miner at this point so I think he may have been a protected occupation. My mum can't remember anyone mentioning him being in the army. Frustratingly I can't apply to see if there are any army records for him as I don't have enough information - namely his date of birth

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
                                    http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...81h%2f011%2f32

A slim possibility, if John could have been in Yorkshire. Do we know who he married?

Not found Alexander yet...

EDIT: Ah!

This'll be him?
                                    Oh, a good candidate - I'll add this one to the list ... the area is definitely right for where the family are

Comment

usually if they were in the army the children born at that time would have a mention of it on their birth certs .

Comment

Working...
                                      X