Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find John Smith?

Hi,
    I have only just registered on this site, so here goes! My ancestor John Smith (unlucky already!) was a convict who was transported to Tasmania in 1836. His native place as written down for convict records was "Aimsbury, Cambridge". I have figured out this was probably Eynesbury, but never having been to the UK, I could stand corrected. He was born anywhere between 1792 and 1806, depending on which record is used. I purchased the Eynesbury BMD. There was only 1 John Smith baptised in this period - baptised 9/1/1795 to Henry and Hannah. I am doubtful that this is him as I am inclined to think he was born after 1800. Also, of his nine children, none was named Henry or Hannah. His first child was named Lucy, and there was a Charles Smith of St Neots married a Lucy Walton on Eynesbury on 19/6/1795. I'm wondering if they were the parents and John was born in St. Neots? Having already paid a fair bit for Eynesbury records I am reluctant to fork out for the St Neots records on the off chance that John Smith was baptised there. Can anyone help who has ideas or access to the St. Neots baptisms?
    Thanks, Chris

Can you give a few more details re the conviction and transportation, Chris? On what ship did he arrive, where was he convicted..any other factual details you have. I presume he married in Tasmania....do you have the marriage cert and does it mention his parents?

Beverley

Comment

Have you got his death certificate? Does it mention any family members?

A death certificate from Victoria, Australia in 1860 gave me the deceased's parents and children's names.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

like JBee I got a death cert from there and it really came in handy as I had the wrong surname for his mother ,well worth buying.

Comment

Thanks so much for the suggestions. He was convicted of coining at the Old Bailey on 13/6/1836. He was transported to Tasmania on the Henry Porcher in 1836. There were two John Smiths on the vessel, but he had an alias "Jacques", which is stated in most of the criminal records. The few details I have on him are English court records, Tasmanian convict records, his marriage record in Tasmania, a few newspaper records, and some of his children's birth records in Tasmania. He and his common law wife Elizabeth Boyle who was convicted with him had 3 children in London. Elizabeth was transported to Tasmania on the Westmoreland. The children went with her. Elizabeth had moved to Victoria by 1853, stating at her second marriage that she had become a widow in November 1851. There are no death records for a John Smith in Australia that could match that. I am pretty sure I found his death in Hobart in December 1851, wife Elizabeth. BDM records in Tasmania were nowhere near as detailed as in Victoria, and death records before 1900 didn't state parents names. His implied year of birth varies enormously. The 1831 court record gives a year of birth 1804/05, the 1834 record gives 1806, the 1836 court and convict record gives 1792, and the death record in 1851 (if it is really him) gives 1801.
          The convict indent records in Tasmania give names of family members, but there isn't one for John Smith. Many of the convict records were intentionally destroyed due to embarassment over the convict stain. My wife and I had 16 convict ancestors between us. (Don't worry, I won't try and steal your computer!)
          I bought the Eynesbury BDMs. There was a John Smith baptised there in 1795, parents Henry Smith and Hannah Harper. (No other John Smiths at Eynesbury 1790-1810) I doubt that is him though. There was a Charles Smith married Lucy Walton in 1795 at Eynesbury. Charles Smith was from St. Neots. Charles and Lucy had one child baptised at Eynesbury in 1796, and Lucy was buried at St Neots in 1809. I suspect that they were John's parents, as John Smith's first child (out of 9) was named Lucy, a pretty uncommon name. None of his children were named Henry or Hannah.
          Chris

Comment

Sorry, the trial at Old Bailey was 13 July, not June

Comment

Hello Chris

Please will you identify which record shows that John was born in 'Aimsbury'. I can see John's arrival in Hobart in 1836 but can't see a place of birth. Its difficult to say whether it is Eynesbury as he tags Cambridge on. However, I know of my own experience that I often give the nearest City when describing where I was born.

I know Eynesbury very well. As you say he could have been baptised in St Neots where they have, in addition to Eynesbury's CofE and Methodist, RC, CofE, Baptist and United Reformed and probably others back in 1800.

I did read the story and it is possible that there was a 3rd conviction as I can see Lucy and John in the workhouse in 1834 with a note saying that their mother was convicted of coining but maybe that was referring to the previous conviction of 1831. They didn't stay long so likely.

Vera

Comment

Hi Vera
                You must be good to pick that much up already. The other conviction was on 27/2/1834 at Clerkenwell for which they got 2 years. I see the button that says attached image, but don't know how it works. In any case, the writing is very clear, and says "Aimsbury - Cambridge". This is the only evidence I have of where he came from. Of the other convicts I have researched they all as far as I know truthfully gave their place of origin.
                Chris

Comment

Have just been looking at google.....it seems St Neots was known as Aimsbury (from medieval Arnulphsbury) before the body of St Neot was relocated there on one of its several shifts.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                  X