Betsy Rogers Mitchell b1858

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betsy Rogers Mitchell b1858

I'm stuck with the above Betsy Rogers Mitchell born 26 Jun 1858 daughter of Peter and Flora in Leith, Nr Edinburgh.

I have her in the 1861 and 1871 census but nothing further. She's not with the family in 1881 - can't find a marriage or death with the full name - there's too many to look at images on Scotlandspeople for Elizabeth or Betsy Mitchell as none jump out.

I thought I'd found her in Australia when I found someone with the same name in Victoria. However this one and another also born 1869 were cousins of the one born in Leith.

Am I missing something obvious?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

have had a look not found anything and was wondering maybe she is calling herself Elizabeth ? then saw she said that:D
    Last edited by Guest; 27-10-15, 21:48.

Comment

Thanks for looking Val. Looks like it will be a long job going through each possibility when I next go to Scotlandspeople.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I can see a possible marriage on SP but unfortunately don't have enough credits to open it up further

1876 James Laird married Betsy Mitchell, St Andrew District of Edinburgh. Reg dis Edinburgh City. 685/02/0361

I still can't see her in 1881 but wonder if this could be James in the Army

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

James Laird 23 b Edinburgh
        Jacks Lodge, Sth Leith
        Soldier
        Piershill Barracks (apparently housed the 21st Hussars) later 21st Lancers

There is also a prison record for 1879 Leeds when a James Laird aged 21 b Edinburgh was court martialled for disobeying an order and imprisoned (not sure for how long). Went to Wakefield Prison. Lab/Soldier. No previous. Note in margin ?? belong to 21st Hussars.

Thought I might have found a Betsy Laird in Yorkshire but cant see her.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 27-10-15, 22:23.

Comment

I had some credits so looked at that marriage it isn't her says father William a Plasterer and Mother Gracem.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            I can see a possible marriage on SP but unfortunately don't have enough credits to open it up further

1876 James Laird married Betsy Mitchell, St Andrew District of Edinburgh. Reg dis Edinburgh City. 685/02/0361

Vera
            Not the correct marriage for Betsy as the parents are shown as William Mitchell & Grace Calder.

Matt
            My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks Val and Matt. Was just about to go off on a tangent with James the Soldier.

Vera

Comment

so was I

Comment

Thank you so much for looking and for using your credits too. If you need a look up when I next go up to Scotlandspeople let me know. (hopefully before Christmas).

Quite often I've worked back from a death certificate in the maiden name as it usually gives parents and spouses names, but this time I just couldn't find one with her middle name.

I've looked at the rest of the family in 1881 and found that her sister Helen b1854 in Glasgow is also missing and in the 1891 census. She dies in 1898 in Leith not having married.

Betsy could well be with her sister in 1881 and 1891 in Leith but were missed off the census or some pages are missing.

I will go through all the deaths for Betsy/Elizabeth when I visit Scotlandspeople and hopefully find her.

Thanks again.

Comment

dont worry about the credits I dont mind, I'll have another look later.

Comment

Working...
                    X