Clear All

• Charles R. Rees

In the 1901 Census There is:

Isaac Rees 65 Head
    Margaret Rees 61 Wife
    Albert G Rees 29 Son
    Charles R. Rees 5 Grandson

Charles R. Rees is listed as being born in 1896 in London Essex

Can anyone throw any light on his parents?

Thank you

I wonder if this is his birth registration ..
    Charles Robert Rees
    Birth registration - 1895 Apr-May-Jun
    Registration district: West Ham
    Volume: 4a
    Page: 36

Do you have him in the 1911 census with maybe a more specific place of birth?
    Elaine

Comment

There is a 1911 census which shows a Charles Robert Rees born Stratford Essex, son of Charles William Rees and wife Susan.
      Do you know if Charles William is the son of Isaac and Margaret?

1911 census
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Charles William Rees - age 45 - born Gloucester
      Susan Rees - age 46 - Forest Gate, Essex
      Charles Robert Rees 15
      Elaine

Comment

In 1871 Isaac and Margaret have a son Charles aged 5 who was born in Gloucester - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/76...l=ReturnRecord
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have the 1871 census with Charles as a son aged 5. That would make his birth in1866, so in 1911 he would have been 45.
          So that lines up with Elaine's 1911 posting The other thing, in the 1911 census he is described as a Boiler Maker. In the 1881 Census while aged 15, he was working as a Boiler Smith, so this seems to tie in as well.
          So I thank you both for your inputs, and in the absence of anything to the contrary think this may well be the answer.

Arthur

Comment

Still trying to tie up loose endIn the 1911 census, it shows that Charles William Rees and Susan Rees (Hitchcock) had 2 children born alive. One was still alive but one had died.

Charles R Rees was the one that was alive and in 1901 staying with Granda Isaac as above. Charles William Rees i 1901 was listed as a boarderstaying with the Day family,and another boarder living in West Ham. But of Susan Rees there doesn't seem to be any sign. Whether it could have anything to do with the child that died I don't know.

Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Old Supporter View Post
              Still trying to tie up loose endIn the 1911 census, it shows that Charles William Rees and Susan Rees (Hitchcock) had 2 children born alive. One was still alive but one had died.
              They don't appear to have ventured from the West Ham registration district, so you could check freeBMD for any children born and died between marriage and 1911 - from what I can see at a quick glance there doesn't appear to be many. I suppose then it's a matter of elimination. I don't know if the SEAX website (Essex parish registers) would be of any help.
              Elaine

Comment

Unfortunately, doing a Rees births and deaths in West Ham from 1894 to 1911 brings up 7 possibilities, 4 girls and 3 boys. Perhaps the parish records that Elaine mentioned would help?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Regarding the Susannah Rees in the 1901 Census. As she is described as a widow, Rees would be her married name. I have ploughed through all the Susannah names that I could find in BMD ( of which there are a lot), but I can't find a Susannah in the marriages in West Ham who married anyone with Rees as a surname. It does sort of seem that Susan and Susannah could interchangeable. There are also qute a few Susannah names with a birth in West Ham c1866, but without knowing the surname that is pretty fruitless.
                  So I'll see if I have more luck with he child that died.

Arthur

Comment

Susan and Susannah are often interchangeable

The birth year and birth place of Susan Rees in 1911 and of Susannah Rees in 1901 are the same.

I wonder if they had separated for some reason? It would have been easier for Susan(nah) to obtain a domestic service position if she were widowed rather than married.

Out of interest, here is Susan* Hitchcock in 1881 ..........

Susanna Hitchcock
                    abt 1865
                    Servant
                    born Forest Gate, Essex, England

Actually .......... she was a Bar Maid working for a Licensed Victualler

She is Susan on the 1871 Census, living with her parents.
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

She's using Susannah in 1891

Susannah Hitchcock
                      abt 1868
                      Servant
                      born Forest Gate, Essex, England

She's a Bar Maid at the Essex Arms, 82 Leytonstone Road, Forest Gate, West Ham

Marriages Mar 1894 (>99%)
                      Hitchcock Susan W. Ham 4a 115
                      Rees Charles William W. Ham 4a 115
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia C,

I agree that Susan and Susannah are often interchangeable
                        Whatever the reason Charles William and Susan(nah) Rees were living apart in the 1901 census. By the time of the 1911 census, they were back living together with their son,Charles Robert, where she is not listed as working.

You could well be right about it being easier for her to get a job,as a live in servant if she was single.

I wonder if their circumstances changing had anything to do with a child dying.

Thanks for your input

Arthur

Comment

A child dying could well have led to a break-up ............. unfortunately there are several Rees children born and died in the area where they lived between 1895 and 1901, let alone after 1901. You would have to buy every single birth certificate to find out if one of them was THE child!

Comment

Working...
                          X