Occupation - Hermit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation - Hermit?

I found this strange ad in the Hampshire Telegraph, 05 March 1821 on FindMyPast:

Wants a situation, as a HERMIT, a young man, twenty-nine years of age; is willing to engage himself immediately. Direct (by letter, post-paid) to Thomas Glasby, at Mr. Coles, near the Gas Works, Southampton. Feb 28, 1821.
    Now I think that this is my g3-grandfather. He was a cordwainer (boot-maker) and he married in Southampton in June of that year. My question is - who on earth would employ someone as a "hermit", and what would that situation involve? I know that a hermit is a recluse - originally a monk or similar member of a religious group. But surely you wouldn't need to advertise for a vacancy for this, you'd just go off to the local monastery and join up if that was your inclination? Did the word have a different connotation at the time?

Whatever the intent of this ad, it didn't seem to come to anything as Thomas remained as a cordwainer and went on to have 9 children. He did mysteriously disappear after 1841 though, so maybe I should start looking for him in some remote monastery somewhere?

Hi Richard,
    Probably doesn't help you at all, but in the late 18th Century, some English Noblemen would have "ornimental hermits" living on their land, for instance in a folly.The hermit would be paid, provided with food and water, and given a skull, a book and an hourglass. They didn't talk to other servants, but repeated a phrase in Latin. Most of them grew beards, and did not cut their nails. Notable places where this took place included Painshill and Hawkstone Park.

Doesn't really mean anything, but I thought it might be of interest in case you didn't know.All it really does is to show that not all hermits were religious Monks, and that a living coukld be earned from it.

Comment

I agree with Old Supporter, a hermit wasn't necessarily tied to a religious institution and many private households did have a resident hermit as a sign of their wealth and (sometimes) their piety. Hermits were held in high regard by the general population.

OC

Comment

Some large estates which had caves in the grounds would have a decorative hermit to add to the effect! We can only assume these days that the "job" may have been attractive to a person who was homeless or wanted a bit of solitude, possibly for mental health reasons. These last two may have lead to a person asking for a job as a hermit.

Or perhaps it was an elaborate joke! LOL
        Anne

Comment

Thanks folks - I never realised that hermits were actually sought after and paid for at one time! As this particular chap had fathered an illegitimate child on the Isle of Wight just a few months before, I guess he may have been "on the run" from that and trying to avoid the parish authorities there. Seems a bit drastic to go off and live in a cave though, but that does seem to fit with the character of this man as far as I can tell - as I said, he abandoned his wife & family after 1841 and seems to have disappeared totally from the records thereafter.

Cheers,
          Richard

Comment

Further information on the subject of 'ornamental hermits'

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Macbev - very interesting. On that site, the ad placed by the would-be ornamental hermit (Sitwell's third ornamental hermit) is very similar to the one I found in 1821, and was only 11 years earlier - so it evidently was a done thing at the time!

Cheers,
              Richard

Comment

Working...
              X