proof of marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proof of marriage

I believe Andrew Skimming married Sarah Gibson sometime between 1900 and 1915 but can't find any proof. She had 2 sons out of wedlock with him but subsequently they got married (at least that's what I think happened). One son, - Hugh - stayed with his mother. The other one - William - was adopted by a relative of Sarah's. It's William's history I'm working on since he's my wife's father. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

do you have any idea of where the marriage took place ? as the only Andrew Skimming Marriage I can find at the moment is in 1837 in Scotland

Comment

It may have been Wigtown, certainly Scotland.

Comment

I'm not seeing a marriage either. What makes you think they subsequently married?

OC

Comment

Terry
          How sure are you of the time frame you give and also Andrews given name?
          I searched Scotlands people1855 to 1955 using the details you gave but without a result.
          On searching using only the details Sarah Gibson & A Skimming I got one result. This was dated
          1929 in Glasgow for a Sarah Gibson & Agnew Skimming. Could this be your couple?

Matt
          My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Several trees on Ancestry have Agnew Skimming and Sarah Gibson, one at least shows William & Hugh as sons of Sarah:

Edit to say: According to this tree, Agnew's first wife was Isabella Richardson, and she died in 1928 - which is presumably why Agnew & Sarah didn't marry until 1929.
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 24-10-15, 04:20.

Comment

Have you got William Gibson's birth certificate Terry? If it doesn't give the fathers name, what makes you think that Andrew/Agnew was his father?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think you are correct about Agnew, there was some confusion early on about Agnew or Andrew. I have William's birth cert - no father named. Can I get the cert about the 1929 wedding? Hopefully it will name Sarah's parents which would close the loop. Many thanks and regards

Terry

Comment

I have sent you a Private Message Terry - see the top of the page under 'Notifications' re marriage/parents etc .
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-10-15, 19:56.

Comment

The marriage record for Agnew & Sarah is as follows,

The marriage took place on 11 January 1929 at19 Howard Street,Glasgow by Declaration before 2 witnesses,
                    John Craig & Mary Paterson Ross.
                    Agnes was a widower aged 44 years. his occupation was a locomotive driver. His father was also a loco driver named Agnew
                    Skimming.His mother was Agnes McBryde. both still living.
                    Sarah was a spinster aged 44 years. her father was William Gibson,occupation farm grieve. Her mother was Mary Paterson,
                    both deceased.

Matt

Comment

Chrissie and Matt - many thanks, this definitely helps with my work on my wife's ancestors.

Regards

Terry

Comment

Terry

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                        The marriage record for Agnew & Sarah is as follows,

The marriage took place on 11 January 1929 at19 Howard Street,Glasgow by Declaration before 2 witnesses,
                        John Craig & Mary Paterson Ross.
                        Agnes was a widower aged 44 years. his occupation was a locomotive driver. His father was also a loco driver named Agnew
                        Skimming.

Matt
                        Re error in above
                        Agnes was a widower, should read Agnew was a widower.
                        If you would like a copy of the marriage record send me a PM with your emall address.
                        Matt.

Comment

I would say that it is unlikely that Agnew was Hugh & William's father, since he was still having children with his first wife up until 1913, and according to that Ancestry tree, Hugh & William were born 1910 and 1913. It's not impossible that he was leading a double life of course, but it's more likely that William & Hugh were children of an earlier relationship of Sarah's.

Comment

Chrissie and Matt - I believe I sent you both a thank you for your help but don't see it posted here, so I'll do it again. I really appreciate your help.

Many regard

Terry

Comment

You're very welcome Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                                I would say that it is unlikely that Agnew was Hugh & William's father, since he was still having children with his first wife up until 1913, and according to that Ancestry tree, Hugh & William were born 1910 and 1913. It's not impossible that he was leading a double life of course, but it's more likely that William & Hugh were children of an earlier relationship of Sarah's.
                                It appears that Richard is correct.
                                Had a few credits left on scotlands people so had a look for Hugh & William.

Hugh was born at 5.30pm 11 April 1909 at Stoneykirk,Wigtown. He was named Hugh Gibson Flynn and shown as Illegitimate.
                                His father was recorded as Charles Flynn a dairyman of Portpatrick,Wigtown. His mother was Sarah Gibson a dairymaid.The parents were not recorded as married.

The 1911 census shows Sarah aged 24 with her son Hugh living in South Milton,Old Luce,Wigtown.This is the home of her brother
                                William aged 26. Also there is her mother Mary a widow aged 64.

Sarah's second son William Gibson was born 2.30am 23 August 1913 at 379 Janefield Street,Glasgow.He was recorded as Illegitimate,
                                no father name recorded.

On the 5th July 1935 William married Janet Allan Duffy (a spinster 21 years).The marriage took place at Bridgeton West &Barrowfield
                                church.
                                William was recorded as William Gibson Craig formerly William Gibson, occupation stone mason.
                                His mother was recorded as Sarah Gibson, dairymaid.Now married to Agnew Skimming, Railway engine driver.

I have the records if you would like a copy.
                                Matt

Comment

Matt - would you send me those records please.. Again, many thanks.

Terry
                                  Last edited by JudithM; 28-10-15, 13:30. Reason: Removed email address

Comment

Terry, to protect privacy, we don't allow email addresses to be posted on the forum. You can send the address to in a Matt a private message. Click on his name to the left of his post.
                                    Last edited by JudithM; 28-10-15, 13:34.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Terry.
                                      To make life easier I have sent you a PM with my Email address.
                                      Contact me on that & I will send you a copy of all the docs I have.
                                      Rgds
                                      Matt

Comment

Working...
                                      X