Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

Didn't realize this, will rule out a lot of our Mum's and Dad's

'In addition, not everyone's details will be released. Those who featured in the 1939 register but who are younger than 100 today will have entries relating to them redacted. This applies unless it's proved that they have died, by researchers cross-referring with births, deaths and marriages data.'

Dad was born 1915 and Mum 1918 so she won't be on it.

BUT

Centenarians, of whom there were an estimated 14,450 last year, will have no such protection

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 22-10-15, 09:24.

Yes they would be there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34570120

It's only if they think that they are still alive today and that they are less than 100 that their details will be redacted (hidden).

Two thirds down the page: "Centenarians, of whom there were an estimated 14,450 last year, will have no such protection."
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

If you want to keep up to date with the progress, FMP have a dedicated page for it already:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

Thay're currently testing it at their London offices (not with the real data!!).
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline

Linda

Comment

A transcription of an example of the information available of a household may be found at
          http://tinyurl.com/yamy9hb

This is the information I was given in 2009 after winning my FOI appeal to the Information Commissioner.

Note relationships are not given but it is possible to use the “Condition as to marriage” entry to work out couples who are possibly married to each other. In a similar way children of a family can possible be worked out; though obviously further work will have to be done to prove the relationship.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Dates of birth omitted (day month and year column) instead, age extrapolated.

Just seen this on Guy’s link above.
            I am so disappointed because I thought we would be given the exact date of birth which might help me confirm that my grandmother is the person I think she is; if that makes sense. My grandparents never married (he was already married to someone else when they got together).
            This is the thread I posted about them back in 2009. I can’t believe it was that long ago & since posting I have obviously found them in 1911.

My problem is that they lied about their ages. GF only gained 1 year between 1901 & 1911 & GM only 3 years. He was 10 years younger than he should have been when he died in 1930 & she was 7 years younger than I would have expected her to have been when she died in 1948. That of course hinges on me having the right birth certificate for her.
            Even if she still lied in 1939 about her year of birth I was hoping she had given the correct day & month.

Moggie

Comment

I was so happy about the register at first but now I'm worried as Granddad Albert was born in 1921 and died in 1997 he has that extra middle name that may not prove that the death matches the birth. Out of all my Grandparents only 1 was born after the register in 1941 so I know I won't get him but frustratingly enough I cannot get his mother either as she's Scottish.
              Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I have not had confirmation from FMP about this but I assume they will be using the National Health numbers database to reconcile entries on the 1939 National Registration with people who have died in the intervening years.
                This would be straightforward for those who died in the UK but some who emigrated and died abroad could slip through as being still alive.
                Cheers
                Guy

PS I doubt if names will be used.
                Last edited by Guy; 22-10-15, 13:19. Reason: added a PS

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  I cannot get his mother either as she's Scottish.
                  Why not? Surely the register was UK wide? I'll be most upset if the data uploaded is for England & Wales only. I've been clinging on to my FMP sub waiting for the Register to come online. I want to know where all my mother's siblings were and what they were doing when war broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    Why not? Surely the register was UK wide? I'll be most upset if the data uploaded is for England & Wales only. I've been clinging on to my FMP sub waiting for the Register to come online. I want to know where all my mother's siblings were and what they were doing when war broke out.
                    I've seen in several places since the first announcement about it, that it was only going to be England and Wales but the BBC article above confirms this - right at the bottom, as does the FMP link - about halfway down in the comments.

The question of whether it will be part of an FMP sub has been raised often on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/findmypast?fref=ts ) and the answer has been that it won't be - at least not at first. I assume that it will be like the 1911 census - after all, they do need to recoup their costs somehow!!
                    Caroline

Comment

Wasn't the 1911 Census availale to FMP World Subscribers when it first came out? I seem to remember obtaining an FMP World Sub about the time the 1911 Census came out, so I wonder if they may do the same for the 1939 Register?

I am hoping to find some unknown addresses for Grandmother, Aunts and Uncles, and also where my parents were living in 1939.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        Wasn't the 1911 Census availale to FMP World Subscribers when it first came out? I seem to remember obtaining an FMP World Sub about the time the 1911 Census came out, so I wonder if they may do the same for the 1939 Register?

I am hoping to find some unknown addresses for Grandmother, Aunts and Uncles, and also where my parents were living in 1939.

Janet
                        Maybe I am mis-remembering but I thought it was credits on the 1911 website which they ran separately and then when they eventually added the option to the main site, the credits were added to our subs (if we had any left of course!!). They also kept the 1911 website going until fairly recently. I guess they will be using those servers for the 1939 site.

Google found me this: http://www.lostcousins.com/pages/hel...nd_&_Wales.htm
                        Caroline

Comment

That's absolutely shocking. My sub will not be renewed again till they have the whole of the data available. It's been a week for bad news for me on the FMP front. It was announced last week that Brightsolid have lost the ScotlandsPeople contract so now there is absolutely no hope of a transcription of the 1911 Scotland census. It was admittedly a long shot in the first place but now it is dead in the water.

Comment

That's absolutely shocking. My sub will not be renewed again till they have the whole of the data available. It's been a week for bad news for me on the FMP front. It was announced last week that Brightsolid have lost the ScotlandsPeople contract so now there is absolutely no hope of a transcription of the 1911 Scotland census. It was admittedly a long shot in the first place but now it is dead in the water.
                            Do you mean shocking as in being surprised? I am not sure why as Scotland's records were separate from E and W so would have meant a separate deal. Maybe they will be included on ScotlandsPeople along with all the rest of NRS controlled records?

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statist...ficial-extract

I hope that the census transcriptions won't disappear off the FMP site though - they appear to be (c) brightsolid online publishing ltd. Their other Scottish records seem to have come via familysearch anyway.
                            Caroline

Comment

Different country different law different rules, nothing to do with the companies everything to do with devolved power
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              PS Same reason why familysearch cannot host their 1881 census online when they did have it on CD
                              Last edited by Guy; 22-10-15, 18:48. Reason: PS

Comment

Hmm... our forebears went to war as Great Britain, not individual countries. I would have thought that considering the purpose of the register and there being only 1 parliament at the time, the rules would be the same for everyone.
                                For each person in Scotland that is proved dead, I have to pay £15. If no result, the charge is £5. Results are supplied within 15 working days.
                                I'll look into it a bit more and see if the results would include everyone in a household. In that case, it might be affordable if I'm lucky and most of the children lived at home after applying for my Grampa's result.

Comment

But that was then, this is now (as they say). It's all to do with who owns the data NOW, not who owned it when it was compiled.

OC

Comment

Hmm... our forebears went to war as Great Britain, not individual countries. I would have thought that considering the purpose of the register and there being only 1 parliament at the time, the rules would be the same for everyone.
                                    For each person in Scotland that is proved dead, I have to pay £15. If no result, the charge is £5. Results are supplied within 15 working days.
                                    I'll look into it a bit more and see if the results would include everyone in a household. In that case, it might be affordable if I'm lucky and most of the children lived at home after applying for my Grampa's result.
                                    The form requests nothing other than surname and forename of the person, their date of death and (if known) their date of birth. Should the person have died outside Scotland then the form needs to be accompanied by a death certificate.
                                    Looks like it must be £15 per person as there's no request for the person's address like in Guy's example.
                                    There's no FAQ covering households so I'll phone them tomorrow for guidance. Big co-incidence that the data is processed 15 miles away from my home but there's no public access so I can't go along and ask.
                                    Lennon - if you know your Scottish Granny's full date if birth and her date of death then if you send her death certificate along with your application form and £15 you should get what you seek.

Comment

Have found out that £15 fee is per person, there's no detail given of anyone else. Also the only address and occupation detail you get is the one when the register was compiled. If the person moved or changed occupation you will not know. My Mum moved 4 or 5 times and changed occupation 3 times - domestic servant (I think), Land Army girl and then housekeeper. Thank goodness I saw her actual card some years ago for the addresses. I need to confirm the 1st occupation though.

Comment

Working...
                                      X