James Robertson, help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Robertson, help please.

I am trying to help my s-i-l research her tree. One of the more tricky ones.
    Her father George James Robertson 1925-1985, lost both his parents while he was in the army. His father James Robertson died in 1943 aged 67, in St. Peters Hospital Whitechapel. His mother Amy Elizabeth Robertson nee Gower was killed in 1944 aged 60, in a bombing raid in Watford. Prior to this the family address was Upper Tooting.
    Its James Robertson's side that we are finding tricky.

James Robertson was born in 1875 in Edinburgh. By going back from the information that we have, he married Amy Gower in 1918 which would make him 43. (I would have thought he would have been married before.) There is a birth for a Helen M R Robertson mmn Gower in 1914. We cant find him, or anything that fits in the 1911.
    1901 we think that we have him as a boarder in Lambeth occupation stated as a Commercial Agent. 1891 again we think he is a boarder in Fulham, occupation stated as a Civil Servant. In 1881 we have him with his parents James McIntosh Robertson and Catherine Robertson nee Hassock in Glasgow. James and Catherine moved with the family to Canada after 1901.
    The queries are where is James in 1911 ? Was he married before ? Any other help would be amazing. I probably can't see the wood for the trees.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

The marriage cert for James & Amy should give his marital status - do you have the cert, or are you unable to find a record of this?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Its on order, we are just a bit impatient, trying to jump the gun. We thought that if we could find him in the 1911 then we could work out a wider tree.
      Last edited by Jules; 22-10-15, 09:13.
      Julie

Comment

I think you need to wait for the certificate Jules. There are many possible James Robertson born c1875 in Edinburgh and I think it's impossible to know which is him without further information.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

ls this your James Robertson with his parents in Glasgow 1881 census ?

If it is then he was not a Civil servant in Fulham 1891, but still with his parents & living in Edinburgh, his occupation a chemists clerk.
          As shown here.

can't find him with his family after that.
          Matt
          My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks Matt, it seems that I was wrong on the 1891 and the one that you found is the correct one. New eyes and all that.
            Julie

Comment

Have found this one

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

James and Ada in that later census you mention, married 8 yrs. He is an assistant wholesale chemists
              Last edited by Elaine; 22-10-15, 20:46.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have found 2 to have a look at 1901 using chemist as a keyword

RG13/4493/142/9 Sculcoates
                Chemist manager c 1874 Scotland

RG13/4448/47/10
                22, Whitby Terrace, York
                James Robertson Head Married Male 25 1876 Chemists Assistant Scotland
                Margaret Robertson Wife Married Female 26 1875 - Scotland
                James Robertson Son - Male 3 1898 - Scotland
                Catherine Robertson Daughter - Female 1 1900 - Yorkshire
                Alex Strachan Brother Single Male 27 1874 Railway Carriage Gas Charger
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I'm going to show these to me s-i-l and ask her what she thinks.
                  Julie

Comment

Working...
                  X