71st Regiment of Foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71st Regiment of Foot

Lost the thread of who was looking for a soldier c1806 in the 71st Regiment of Foot so will reply here.

The 71st Regiment of Foot became the Royal Highland Fusiliers - so it's possible your ancestor was Scottish. There's 4 soldiers in my tree from that Regiment but earliest didn't enlist until 1840. I do have a small book on the history of the Regiment somewhere.

Perhaps if you can look at the National Archives muster books or pay records you may find where he enlisted as a clue to where he was from.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I think it might be this one?

I used the Advanced search option
    and put "Regiment of Foot" as the key words info, together with a time limit.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

That's why I couldn't find it - it was in Research Requests.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

In case anyone else is interested in Scottish Regiments

Comment

Hi JBee,

I too, have an ancestor in the 71st Regiment of Foot. He married for the second time in Boston, Mass. 1827, before moving to Ontario Canada

I think he was was born about 1790 Scotland.

You mention that you have a small book on the history of the regiment somewhere.

I was wondering the next time you came across it, if you could let me know the title of the book.

It would help to pad out my Thomas McLaren's history.

Thank you !

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I only have a couple of printed off chapters of this book for the Crimea and Indian Mutiny.

PROUD HERITAGE - The Story of the Highland Light Infantry by Lt Col L B Oatts DSO - late HLI. - Volume One - 71st HLI 1777-1881 - Printed by Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd. London Edinburgh Paris Melbourne Toronto and New York. (from the front sheet).

One of mine in the 71st was John McLaren who enlisted at Crieff. However there were 2 John McLaren's in the Regiment at the same time lol!!!

Another was Hugh Farmer who served for 9.5 years in Canada with the 71st. but he didn't enlist until 1840.
            Last edited by JBee; 24-10-15, 10:19.

Comment

Hi JBee,

Thank you very much ! I shall see if I can track it down. Also thank you for the Scottish military link.

Yes, Mclarens are my version of Smiths. Thank goodness for middle names.

One day I hope to get to the National Archives and look at the records for the 71st, and see if I can find out where my Thomas was born.

Thank you again,

bcbrit
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I'm still searching for my John McLaren's birth - all I have is that he enlisted at Crieff - he married at the Lamberton Toll (irregular cross border marriages) - minimum details and no parents given and he died on 17 January 1859 whilst on furlough at Crieff according to Army records. The death wasn't registered by anyone, Army at Stirling where he was based, anyone at Crieff or his wife in Berwick on Tweed. Just wish it had been in Scotland where I might have found out from the death certificate who his parents were!!!!

Comment

Just found this through a link in favourites - has 71st and 74th books - no idea if still in print etc.

Comment

I had a look here: http://www.gravestonephotos.com/publ...0&browser=1337
                    but couldn't spot anything helpful. They say that their Crieff cemetery records are complete, so you might spot something useful there. (I'm assuming that you haven't already found this, of course!)

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Unfortunately it is unlikely he would have a gravestone and I don't know if he actually died in Crieff or somewhere else. Crieff registrars couldn't find a death for him. I am thinking his mother might have been Ann as his children were called Margaret Ann, Ann Jane and Jane Ann.

Comment

Comment

Hi JBee,

Just came back after being absent for a while.

Wow, love the photo of the badge. It's beautiful very lucky to have something like that.

I manage to get in touch with the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum in Glasgow. I had been waiting for a reply from them since September last year but unfortunately for them to help me a small fee of 20 pounds must be payable before they start searching and if they don't find it all goes to waste. I feel it's no small or wee fee as when converted into Australian dollar plus other fees sending the money.

So I will need to find my information other ways.

Comment

Working...
                          X