convict transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convict transportation

I have an ancestor who was sentenced at York Assizes to 14 years transportation in December 1853. However he didn't arrive in Australia (Fremantle) until July 1855.
    Can anyone suggest how I can find out where he was between these dates?
    Cath.

He was probably on the prison hulks before he left on the voyage. I think its Ancestry that has a prison hulk index and images
    Anne

Comment

I thought transportation had finished by 1855?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
        I believe the last convict ship to Australia was in 1868
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just found a few records for my William Tann, there are quite a few details on FMP now so I have him convicted, at Millbank, then Portland before leaving a year later, for Gibraltar in this case.

There is a ship's list for transported convicts on the national archives which you can download for free 1853-1863

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

I think this is the link, just add to basket and they send it to you. I do have the downloaded copy if it doesn't work so can have a look.
          Last edited by Elaine; 19-10-15, 20:26.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            Just found a few records for my William Tann, there are quite a few details on FMP now so I have him convicted, at Millbank, then Portland before leaving a year later, for Gibraltar in this case.

There is a ship's list for transported convicts on the national archives which you can download for free 1853-1863

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

I think this is the link, just add to basket and they send it to you. I do have the downloaded copy if it doesn't work so can have a look.
            Elaine, Cath,
            Apologies if you already know but are you aware of the Convict Records website? Always interesting to have a play around with..

Elaine - There are two William Tanns listed, convicted in 1835 and 1839, although I wasn't sure which of them might be yours. Some contributors have added quite a lot of info re the 1839 one.
            Community driven database of convicts brought to Australia between 1787 and 1867.

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 19-10-15, 20:43.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Christine

Thanks for those, haven't worked the earlier convictions out yet, but I do know Norfolk is not related, mine is born 1839 Essex and I've lost him 1862 when he is set to leave Gibraltar.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Judith - I had 1855 firmly fixed in my mind!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                  Western Australia applied for convicts just as the Eastern States were phasing it out. (1850-1868). Only male convicts were accepted and generally speaking, those convicted of lesser crimes. Although founded as a free settlement, the Swan River colony (est. 1829) was suffering economic hardship and it was thought that an injection of money and free labour would help. There were some earlier arrivals of Parkhurst boys, but these were not officially regarded as convicts.

More here:

Beverley

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I have full details of crime, court case, ship (Adelaide) etc. and a little about his life in Australia but I just wondered if there was any information available for the time between sentencing and the actual sailing.
                    Thanks.
                    Cath.

Comment

Maybe they didn't use the prison hulks at this later date? I have definitely seen online images of reports about convicts held on them (behaviour and suchlike). If they were not used I would assume he was kept in prison somewhere until it was time to go.
                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X