Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Do I just give in? I have researched my father's family back to 1759 which I am 95% sure is correct with the help of certificates etc. Now reached a large brick wall.

On ancestry trees there are quite a few familytrees with my family going back to 1643, and the number of trees seem to be growing with the same information. I have contacted two of the owners, one admitted she had copied and the other could not remember where he had obtained his information.

My mother always said the Coole family came from Ireland, when and where from???? but my father visited Ireland looking at family graves in 1938. Should of asked more but as a child at the time I was not interested so only half listened. Did I hear wrong and maybe the tree owners are correct.

I have gone back to George Coole born 1759, married Elizabeth Austin in 1779. Although he married in Bristol, the parish being St Philip & Jacob, he may not even been born in Bristol let alone this country.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

Siamese

It's quite simple really. If those trees have detailed sources, then you will know where to look to check the details for yourself. If they don't have detailed sources then forget it and do your own research.

ISTR you said on another thread that your Cooles came from the Isle of Man. Coole (or Cooile) is certainly a Manx name.

The standard way to research an event when you are stuck, is to cast your net in a five mile radius of the first known event. If that doesn't work, then a ten mile radius and so on, until you find something. Also remember that by no means every record is on line and this part of your research may have to be done in Records Offices.

Any details on the marriage to give any clues? Name of first son? Second daughter?

OC

Comment

Hello Siamese, I would suggest that you do your research, because then you know where the information has come from. There are always folk who just "collect" names - it is parish records & certificates that can confirm the connection to your family - better to stop at 1759 with you own findings than the possible mistakes in other trees. Margaret.
      Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Siamese I have looked at the marriage on Familysearch and there seems to be other Cool marriages earlier https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AM17288-2 have you followed the other marriages such as Sarah Cole/Coole marriage 1760, Thomas Coole 1765, and more to see if you can find any baptisms for them.

Edna

Comment

Here is a birth/death of George Coole at St Phllip and St Jacob, plus lots of other George Cooles from the same Parish

Edna
          Last edited by clematised; 19-10-15, 20:01.

Comment

Thanks Edna,

I keep going though the parish records on FS and there are plenty of them including John and George. Have saved the ones I know are mine the rest????? George Coole who was buried in 1828 was my Great Grandfather x 3 (have a newspaper cutting about how he died. Visited the Bristol RO in the past but got nowhere.
            Thanks skylark and OC, its just that I get tempted maybe? Another sent me a whole sheet of her FH which on the whole looked fairly accurate but with several George or John Coole's around that time did her family marry my George.
            Maybe one day.
            OC, my Cooles sas far as I know did not come from the Isle of Man, unless they went to Ireland from there first. Know there are alot of Cooles from that IOM.
            Thanks for looking

siamese
            Last edited by siamesewillow; 20-10-15, 06:36.

Comment

Any chance of any useful Wills? They can help to tie up loose ends, very effectively.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have searched the Wills, thanks Christine

Comment

Working...
                X