Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Ancestry taken the 'fun' out of genealogy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Ancestry taken the 'fun' out of genealogy?

I am going through my tree at the moment looking for missing census for everyone. This is something I have done from time to time, and start with a known census and then work backwards or forwards.

Now, when I go to a census entry on Ancestry, I automatically get a list of possible census entries for other years, as well as BMD and parish records. Now you may think this is helpful, and although there are a lot of 'false positives' many of the links are correct.

However, I miss the 'thrill of the chase'. Working out the best way to search to find that awkward census return, entering known information in different combinations, and finally the sense of achievement when you find great uncle Fred's entry mistranscribed as Freda.

Where will it end? Will it eventually end up that you enter your name and get your whole tree delivered to you fully completed?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

I have found some of those links really useful Pete. In your case though, if you prefer to search yourself, I would suggest that you ignore the links and don't click on them.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Taken the fun out? No, certainly not. They love their little jokes, do Ancestry - Samartive Beguine Bleaner being the occupation of my relative. An eight day old baby boy called James described as an 80 year old woman called Jane. Jepson relatives transcribed as Sepson, Lepson, Tepson, Japson, Tapson and (endlessly) so on, finishing with a final flourish as......Winterton.....

You take your fun where you can get it, Pete, and I will just breathe another exasperated sigh and submit YET ANOTHER correction!

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 18-10-15, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
        Where will it end? Will it eventually end up that you enter your name and get your whole tree delivered to you fully completed?
        When you look at sites like WikiTree, that try to be the one tree for the entire world (?!), then yes - just register yourself, tie into a tree, and your work is done, right?

Comment

Working...
        X