William Ward 1878 - 1923, Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Ward 1878 - 1923, Liverpool

William is my Maternal Grandfather. I have copies of several records for him, but there are still bits of his life - and death - which I cannot fathom!

I am hoping some of the great sleuths on this site can shed some light on one or two of these for me.

He was born William Ward on 22 Feb 1878; Baptised 10 Mar 1878 at St Sylvester's Liverpool. Parents: Thomas Ward, a Seaman, and Margaret Downey

1901 he is with his widowed mother, a Tobacco Stripper, in Leadenhall Street, and is himself a Driller in the shipyards.

22 July 1903 he married, using the name Francis Ward, a widow Ellen, formerly Dennison, born Corcoran. The Church was Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, Liverpool.
    Ellen had a daughter, Margaret Annie Dennison (died 1970)

In 1909, on the birth of my Mother, Helen, he is an Iron Driller Journeyman, as he is in the census of 1911.

Here's where the mystery begins: on 7th September 1915 he is in Scotland Road signing on to join the Irish Guards, giving the information that he has already been in the Army - 4th King's Liverpool Regiment (V 13) T.E.
    By the 9th September he is down in Caterham Surrey. I have a very old group photograph of soldiers, which my mother said included him, but she didn't know which one!

Then, in copy records from my late mother's effects, I found a copy of a marriage at the same church as before, of his marriage to Ellen, with his name now shown as William Francis - the copy is dated 1st October 1915, which leads me to believe has had to prove
    Last edited by Anglebar15; 17-10-15, 16:58. Reason: Sorry posted the wrong version

sorry but am a bit confused what did you want to know about him ?

Comment

No, I'm not sure either - but there is only one marriage and that was in 1903. I should think the copy dated 1st October 1915 was just that, a copy of the 1903 marriage.

If he was in the army when he married in 1903 and did so without permission, then he might be trying to fudge the issue in 1915 - no doubt he wished to claim married man's allowance.

Sorry if that's not what you mean!

OC

Comment

Can I ask please, on your mothers birth certificate does it give his name as William, Francis, or William Francis?

Also, does he give his name as just William on Everything else apart from the marriage certificates?

I see that in 1911 he gives your mothers name as Ellen.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-10-15, 23:13.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I expect Francis was his baptismal or confirmation name and he may have used that instead of William. If the 1915 copy of the marriage cert came from the church rather than the GRO, then the church would know him as William Francis.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X