Familysearch Christenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familysearch Christenings

Does anyone know how accurate the transcriptions of England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 on FamilySearch/Ancestry are? Normally I would look at the image, but these aren't available online.

I have a family from Walmer in Kent, but the 1901 census for that area is missing (physically missing, not just missing from the databases), so I have a 20 year period in which someone married, had 3(or maybe 4) children then was widowed. I am trying to fill in some blanks, but I can't find birth/christening/death records that match fully.

First of all in 1891 I have on RG12 Piece 739 Folio 84 Page 39:-

Mathew Meleady, Head, M, 45 Naval Pensioner and Fish Dealer, Middlesex London
    Eliza Meleady, Wife, M, 32, Kent Walmer
    Maud M Meleady, Daur, 13, Kent Walmer
    Henry J Meleady, Son, 11, Kent Walmer
    Francis M Meleady, Son, 9, Scholar, Scotland Edinburgh
    Ellen M Meleady, Daur, 7, Scholar, Kent Walmer
    May A Meleady, Daur, 5, Scholar, Kent Walmer
    Elizabeth Meleady, Daur, 3, Kent Walmer
    Kate Meleady, Daur, 1, Kent Walmer

Mathew dies q4 1910 then in 1911 RG14PN4574 RG78PN191 RD64 SD4 ED11 SN436:-

Eliza Meleady, Head, 52, Widow, Lower Walmer, Kent
    Frank Meleady, Son, 28, Single, Coachman, Lower Walmer, Kent
    Fred Meleady, Son, 18, Single, Carman, Lower Walmer, Kent
    Elizabeth Meleady, Daughter, 22 Single, Laundry Maid, Lower Walmer, Kent
    Maude Mace, Daughter, 33, Widow, Laundress, Lower Walmer, Kent
    Maude Mace, Grandchild, 10, Lower Walmer Kent
    Florrie Mace, Grandchild, 4, Lower Walmer Kent
    Harry Mace, Grandchild, 1, Lower Walmer Kent.

I have found a marriage for Maud and Walter Mace Q2 1889 Medway, Kent with matching parish record on FamilySearch for 7 May 1898 in Luton, Kent (yes, there is a Luton in Kent as well as Bedfordshire!) and a birth for their daughter Maud Q1 1901 in Eastry, Kent.

Everything else I have found is a bit confused. There are baptisms for several Mace children in Kent, but the closest matches are the wrong dates, the wrong area (Medway) and for parents Wallace and Maud Mace. BMD records don't really fit either, and the only likely death I can find is also for Wallace.

There is also the distance between Walmer and Medway (around 50 miles) and the possible swapping back and forth over the 20 years.

So is he Walter or Wallace? Have some records have been mistranscribed or did he change his name?

PS I have everything pre 1891, it is just the 20 year period from 1891 to 1911 where there are gaps.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Hi Pete
    Details of Maud's marriage on FreeReg.

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Moggie

Comment

YouYou have Maud aged 13 in 1891, then say you have her marriage to Wallace Mace in 1889. Should this date be different?

Any, just read again and see you have parish record for 1898. That makes more sense
      Last edited by JudithM; 12-10-15, 16:37.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh, Thanks Moggie! So he was in the Marines, that would explain the link to Medway (Chatham Naval Dockyards).
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Judith, it is a typo and should be 1898!
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

searching family search with Mace as surname and kent as birth place and mother as Maud brings up
            Maud Ellen Macey christened 1901 Lower Walmer kent Freebmd has her birth March 1901 Eastry
            Florence May Mace christened 1906 St Pauls Chatham freebmd has her birth 1906 Medway
            Henry James Mace christened 1909 Luton freebmd has his birth 1909 Medway
            and as you say father is given as Wallace or Wallis on familysearch.

I cant say for sure but guess you have the right father maybe he was Walter Wallace Mace. Or just had a strong accent when the births were registered.as the children were consistently registered and christened within a short time. Maybe he had a job that entailed travelling around eg boatman or coachman?
            Angelina

Comment

Take a look at Cityark for the Medway records. Here is the actual marriage register image for example.....http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/r...l/00000330.jpg
              Rick

Comment

Hi Pete
                Details for Harry James' baptism. As Angelina says above father given as Wallis.
                Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

If Maud was a widow in 1911 then the baptism in 1909 should narrow down when Walter/Wallace/Wallis died unless of course he was already deceased when the last baptism took place.
                Moggie

Comment

Baptism register Henry James....

[eb-GB]Adlib Internet Server is a complete application to make the collections of archives, museums and libraries accessible over the internet. Adlib Internet Server is an add-on to the professional collection management applications Adlib Archive, Adlib Museum and Adlib Library.
                  Rick

Comment

Thanks everyone, end especially for the City Ark link. The last time I looked into Kent Parish Records they were under lock and key at Canturbury Cathedral. This is very useful!

The RM link has helped; I've just found his service record and he was still alive (I assume!) on discharge 19 Aug 1910.
                    Last edited by PeteW1959; 12-10-15, 17:02.
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I see there was a Walter Mace aged 20 so a little older than age at marriage suggests, but with father James a coach builder, as per the marriage entry, in Bethnal Green in 1881.
                      Perhaps he was always known as Wally and by the time of the baptisms someone assumed this was short for Wallace.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                      X