James Dodman 1853

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Dodman 1853

I have found this James Dodman in an 1881 Eng. Census. James was born St. Mary, Newington, Surrey & is age 28, in this census.
    James according to this census was born abt 1853. I have found a wife for James & I have their marriage license, but it is barely
    readable. James was married to Martha Ann Fairclough also 28 yrs. of age, in same census. I believe James & Martha were married on/abt
    May 18 1871/72, in the County of Surrey.

On same 1881 census James father only parent listed, is also James & is 64 yrs. of age. So birth est. 1817. Familysearch has a James Dodman born 12
    Oct 1817, parents listed as William Dodman & Hannah ? I believe this William Dodman is the son of John Dodman & Alice Briant. Who are all in my family
    tree. William was born 1780 East Rudham & in 1851 at age 71, lived in Little Massingham &, in 1861 at age 81, still lived in Little Massingham.

I have possible siblings for James 1817, they are...

Thomas - christened - 23 Feb 1813 - Massingham, Barva, Norwich ( No Clue what this means )
    Thomas - " - 7 Apr 1814 - Little Massingham
    Hannah - " - 15 Aug 1816 - " "
    *James - " - 12 Oct 1817 - " "
    Hannah - " - 2 Jul 1820 - " " ( unsure )
    Thomas - " - 28 Dec 1822 - " " (unsure )

I have listed all these children because of the proximate date of James 1817 & that they were all born around same period. And in Little Massingham.

There are other William's & Hannah's listed on familysearch , William & Hannah Curtis can be ruled out, Hannah Curtis " is not in my family at all. "
    There is also another William & Hannah ?, listed on familysearch but, their children born are later, mid 1848 - 1853, too late.

If this line-of-lineage I have created, is correct, my questions for this post are...
    1. Can a maiden name be found for Hannah?
    2. Can a marriage be found for William & Hannah?
    3. Can any siblings for James 1853 be found?

Happy Hunting - Jeff

Hi Jeff, the father James snr in 1881 census states he was born in Lynn (Kings Lynn ) Norfolk c1817 and this is born out by earlier census returns. I think he was probably the son of William Dodman & Hannah nee Curtis, bp at Little Massingham October 1817. So, not your family.

William, son of John Dodman & Alice Bryant, was bp 17 July 1788, at Hempton, on the outskirts of the town of Fakenham. I have nothing further about this William and do wonder if he died in infancy???? - he was the youngest son of John & Alice, so no chance of them naming another son William if the first one had died.
    It would seem that John and Alice had all their babies baptised at either Fakenham or Hempton (source, parish registers) - none at East Rudham as far as I know.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-10-15, 10:38.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've used FreeReg to have a quick search for Dodman events at East Rudham. There appears to have been just one Dodman couple there, with children bp 1778 to 1792. They were William & Mary Dodman, children included a son William bp 1780 and John bp 1784. The mother's maiden name was recorded when John was bap - it was BONE.

Wiliam Dodman & Mary Bone marr 23 Nov 1774 at Little Walsingham - both were single.

I think the child William above (bp 1780) later married Hannah Curtis and lived at Little Massingham. In which case, he was the son of William Dodman & Mary Bone

The East Rudham search also brought up the Nov 1809 burial of William Dodman, husband (but didn't say of whom) aged 58yrs. that makes his estimated yr of birth c1751. At this point, I won't even attempt a guess at his origins.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Editing #2 Sorry, just checked the Fakenham reg and William s/o John & Alice was bp Fakenham and not Hempton. Bp fee perhaps not paid, as parents recorded as "pauper" The parents were rcorded as LIVING at Hempton when some of their children were baptised at Fakenham.

There was also a Fakenham bp 10 Nov 1781 for Violet Dodman d/o John & Alice and bp 2 Nov 1781 William Dodman s/o William & Mary. I don't know who this latter couple were - that 1781 bp seems to have been a one-off event. I'm wondering if it was the East Rudham couple?????

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
        X