No announcement yet.

Cause of death - help with handwriting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of death - help with handwriting?

Hello all,

I wondered if I could get views on the handwriting from this death certificate of 1859... I can read 'Disease of ... Certified ' But am a little stuck with the key word!

many thanks,
    catherine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443889802.049707.jpg

Is the person a male or a female?

Regards

Kiltpin
    Whannell, Eaton and Jackson, in Scotland, India and England

Dugdale, Ramm, Garrod, Taylor and Smith in Norfolk and Hull

Comment

Dusease of Brain
      Certified (meaning the person was certified dead by a doctor and the doctor's opinion is that the cause of death was disease of the brain)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Dusease of Brain
        Certified (meaning the person was certified dead by a doctor and the doctor's opinion is that the cause of death was disease of the brain)

OC
        To be honest OC, it looks closer to Penis than it does to Brain.

Regards

Kiltpin
        Whannell, Eaton and Jackson, in Scotland, India and England

Dugdale, Ramm, Garrod, Taylor and Smith in Norfolk and Hull

Comment

It's a 59 year old man Kiltpin.

I had wondered about brain too, the first letter looks right but the rest not so similar...the handwriting isn't great though so it's very possible!

Any idea what 'disease of the brain' would mean if that were the case?

Comment

LOL! It looks like Brain to me.

I've often seen "Diusease of (the) Brain" as cause of death, it's what we would call dementia or Alzheimers today.

I've never seen "Disease of Penis" and cannot immediately imagine what that might be. I can only think of cancer or syphilis, both of which would be described as such - syphilis would be described as GPI, which was the medical euphemism for Grand Paralysis of the Insane, which is always the terrible end result of (untreated) syphilis.

OC

Comment

I had a look earlier and Brain was the only thing I could think would make sense. Is the whole certificate difficult to read? I have seen one where the person writing it out clearly had no idea what the doctor had written and just did their best to interpret it.
              Anne

Comment

Another possibility is Heart, though the final 't' isn't very good. Is there a similar capital letter in the certificate to compare with?
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It would help if you uploaded a pic of the complete certificate so we can compare letters, if you have no objection.
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

The first letter (B) of the word which I think is Brain, is identical to the half concealed word bottom right of the certificate, so if that word also begins with a B.....

OC

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443910183.157584.jpg

Comment

Here is most of the certificate - the more I look at it the more I think it is probably brain... The residence mentioned is 'Burrington' and the first letter is very similar.

I have seen 'disease of brain' on another certificate I ordered I think - it seems such a vague term! but I suppose a lot of early death certificates would have been fairly vague compared to modern standards.

Comment

Yes, cause of death was often vague (and almost certainly wrong!) in those days. Remember that it was not necessary to have a death certified, nor was it necessary to register it until 1875.

"Disease of the brain" could have covered all sorts of conditions. It is quite likely he was never seen by a doctor during his lifetime (I take it he died at home?) so the certifying doctor would have just given a diagnosis based on what the last person to see him alive said. He could have had epilepsy for instance, or meningitis, or have been acting oddly for a while.

OC

Comment

Looks like disease of Brain to me also. The dot for the i is always on the next letter and the a looks like an e as in 'disease' above. Does that make sense?

Not sure what actual brain disease is likely to be. Would have said old age, senility or dementia is that had been the case. Could be lots of things - hardening of the arteries perhaps if this is an older person.

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 04-10-15, 00:25.

Comment

Great stuff, thank you everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X