Cant find Great Granddad on 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant find Great Granddad on 1881 census

Yep looking for Great Granddad in 1881 Thomas (Joseph) Harvey born 8/02/1861.
    I have him in 1871/1891/1901/1911 but not 1881 ??
    Married Elizabeth Von Spreidenberg 06/08/1883
    Any help appreciated.....John

where was he born and do you have an occupation for him

Comment

Maybe he was travelling?
      Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
      Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

does that say Tank maker on his marriage cert ?

Comment

Thanks All, He was Born in Mile end.
          I have various occupations for him and one indeed was a Tank Maker/Coal Porter/Greengrocer/Dock Labourer
          Thanks again John

Comment

When he was 20 he had probably left home so can't use another person to help search. It is a common name and there are many possibilities. Occupation does not seem to help. It will be hard to establish if and when you find the right man. Have you trawled through all of them looking for the right place of birth?
            If I had to guess I would go for the chap in the enormous lodging house at RG11/436/75/6 but he was then a bricklayer.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
              When he was 20 he had probably left home so can't use another person to help search. It is a common name and there are many possibilities. Occupation does not seem to help. It will be hard to establish if and when you find the right man. Have you trawled through all of them looking for the right place of birth?
              If I had to guess I would go for the chap in the enormous lodging house at RG11/436/75/6 but he was then a bricklayer.
              Thanks, Yes I had wondered about that entry ?

Comment

I was asking as there is a Thomas I Harvey says born abt 1864 in Middlesex an Oilmans assistant maybe Oil Tanks ?could be the I should be J ? and the age change could happen
                anyway in case you think its possible he is living in 613 Kings Road Fulham

Comment

there is a prisoner T H born abt 1860 London Middlesex says General Labourer
                  Her Majesty's Prison Cold Bath Fields Clerkenwell

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    there is a prisoner T H born abt 1860 London Middlesex says General Labourer
                    Her Majesty's Prison Cold Bath Fields Clerkenwell

actually there are 3 with those initials all born abt the right time and place unless its the same person ?

Comment

Thanks Val I have got that, A nice tidy sum in 1946 (£41,927.64).
                      The John Harvey mentioned is my Granddad who died 2 years before this, so perhaps he just didn't change things after his son died?

Comment

Looks like there are several possibilities for Thomas, I don't suppose I will ever know what one is correct... thanks fro the input everyone...

Comment

I was asking as there is a Thomas I Harvey says born abt 1864 in Middlesex an Oilmans assistant maybe Oil Tanks ?could be the I should be J ? and the age change could happen
                          anyway in case you think its possible he is living in 613 Kings Road Fulham
                          Possible, not sure why he would be living there though ? (even in 1946 he could have commuted across London from the East end?

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
                            Maybe he was travelling?
                            I can agree with that. In my wife's family are quite a few fishermen. They were born, they married, they produced children every three years and finally they died, but they never appear on a census because they were chasing the "silver darlings".

Regards

Kiltpin
                            Whannell, Eaton and Jackson, in Scotland, India and England

Dugdale, Ramm, Garrod, Taylor and Smith in Norfolk and Hull

Comment

Working...
                            X