1842 Ship from UK to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 Ship from UK to Canada

I know that brothers John and Lawrence Dyer left England(ish) in 1842 for Canada (landing in Quebec I think but not sure) but that's really all I know, though they should have been with their brother Josiah and a bunch of relatives (names unknown).

Is this enough to find a manifest or what ship they were on, or the departure and arrival points, etc?

Do you have dates of birth and where they were born or lived EDIT just re-read - that all you have. Will try using names

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 21-09-15, 00:09.

Comment

I know that they didn't stay in Quebec when they arrived in Canada. They moved onto what was called Upper Canada (now Ontario) and settled in that area. That's about it.

Comment

You've searched the 1851 Canadian census? 1861?

OCFA has a burial of a Lawrence Dyer:
        DYER, Lawrence (-1891) St Paul's Anglican Church Simcoe Innisfil SM-IN-3533

and several John Ds, but not in that cemetery.

billiongraves has developed an irritating requirement of logging into their system to see a photo, but the above DL grave is photoed there:
        billiongraves.com/pages/search/#given_names=lawrence&family_names=dyer&birth_year =&death_year=&year_range=5&lim=0&num=10&action=sea rch&exact=true&phonetic=false&record_type=0&countr y=Canada&state=Ontario&county=0

That DC should exist, probably on Ancestry - and would probably give parents' names.

Do you know any of their descendants? It may be more feasible to back track up the tree than try to work down

Comment

Lawrence Dyer had a son William Dyer (1854ish-1938) who married Rebecca Wilson (1861-1930) and they lived in Saskatchewan.

If that helps. I've tried to go up the tree but it ends with what I've provided, given my limited resources, which was why I was hoping I could make something out of fortuitously knowing the year the family emigrated.

Comment

I couldn't see anything obvious on Ancestry re immigration to Canada for John, Joshua or Lawrence but then realised the date (1842) did not fit with what was available anyway. However many records for them in Canada if we are talking about the family who came from Gloucestershire. John born 1796, Joshua 1801 and Lawrence 1806?

Vera

Comment

Marriage of William and Rebecca on FS:
              Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

That would go nicely with the gravestone for Lawrence Dyer
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-09-15, 15:33.

Comment

Likely same William Dyer in the 1861:
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

will need to find it on Ancestry to see the other household members

Likely the same household, for "Larance"
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-09-15, 15:37.

Comment

Laurence's DC on FS:

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    I couldn't see anything obvious on Ancestry re immigration to Canada for John, Joshua or Lawrence but then realised the date (1842) did not fit with what was available anyway. However many records for them in Canada if we are talking about the family who came from Gloucestershire. John born 1796, Joshua 1801 and Lawrence 1806?

Vera
                    I don't know their birth years. All I ever had was the year they set sail. You may have uncovered something new for me. Those years sound about right, a little past his prime for pioneering as far as John goes but they made them tough back then.

I also have never heard anything about Gloucestershire, so that is news to me as well if we are talking about the same people.

Comment

@PhotoFamily

Thank you as well, you have dug up some interesting things here and I always love seeing the original handwritten documents that you've linked for me.

Makes the people seem more real.

Comment

Here is a rough summary of what I found:

Firstly I tried to establish the family in England and found a Lawrence with wife Mary and child Hannah in Gloucester in 1841 UK Census Not seeing John or Josiah at that time but then they may already have moved on.

1802 Baptism for Josiah 22nd August, Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire

1861 Canada Census for Simcoe

Can see all on the same page

Josiah 60, Wesleyan Methodist b England
                        Elizabeth 44 born Ireland
                        John 65 born England
                        Hannah 57 born England
                        Lawrence 55 born England
                        Hannah 30 born Ireland#
                        Lawrence 16 born UC ? Upper Canada
                        Jane 14 born UC
                        Ellen 8 born UC
                        William 8 born UC

Farmers

1860 Canada

Record of land held

Joshua 50 acres
                        Lawrence 50 acres
                        John 97 acres

various Canadian census records with Lawrence possibly having remarried with additional children, Francis, Lydia, Joseph, Letitia Margaret and Charles

possible sighting of John with Ann and son John. Could be stepson as Ann is not on 1861

John born 1797 died 1888 aged 91 informant Charles Dyer
                        Death of (not sure) Joshua or Lawrence in 1891, Farmer, born England informant Frank Dyer

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 21-09-15, 20:38.

Comment

Baptisms for John Dyer 4th June 1797 Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire

Baptism for Lawrence 19th June 1906 Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire. Father John, mother Mary

Vera

Comment

Baptisms for John Dyer 4th June 1797 Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire

Baptism for Lawrence 19th June 1906 Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire. Father John, mother Mary

Vera

Wow, this stuff is spectacular. You're a machine.

Thank you.

Do they actually have the old handwritten baptism documents from 1797 and 1806 available for viewing or download somehow?

Comment

Death of (not sure) Joshua or Lawrence in 1891, Farmer, born England informant Frank Dyer

Vera
                              This might suggest that it was Lawrence:

Suggested edit: 1881 census Simcoe Ontario Surname: DYER Given Name: Lawrence Occupation: Farmer Gender: M Age: 74 Birth Year: 1807 Marital Status: M Place of Birth: England Contributor: Joan Donnelly Ellis

Comment

various Canadian census records with Lawrence possibly having remarried with additional children, Francis, Lydia, Joseph, Letitia Margaret and Charles
                                If you got that info from elsewhere, then all of these Dyers with similar names buried together seems to back up that theory.

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. Memorials in St. Paul's Cemetery, a Find a Grave.

Comment

Do they actually have the old handwritten baptism documents from 1797 and 1806 available for viewing or download somehow?[/QUOTE]

I can e mail them to you. PM me

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 21-09-15, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
                                    If you got that info from elsewhere, then all of these Dyers with similar names buried together seems to back up that theory.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...Sfn=&GSln=dyer
                                    Info came from Canada Census

Comment

Info came from Canada Census
                                      End of Lawrence's life looked pretty awful. It seemed like five of his kids died in a five year span and then he just followed them into the grave. I wonder what the heck happened.

Comment

I can see deaths of Letitia 1880, Charles 1886, Lydia 1887 and Margaret 1888. All died sadly at very young ages of consumption. John Dyer was the informant on most of them and Lawrence informed for Margaret.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X