The Genealogist - one month free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Genealogist - one month free

The Genealogist are offering a one month Diamond subscription Free - this should allow you to view all the UK records.

If you use the link, you will need to fill in your personal details - but apparently you do not need to give credit card details. (Mine are already in the system so cannot say for sure, but someone else has said that they were not required to give them).

I currently have a three month freebie GOLD subscription which I got through the WDYTYA magazine. To be honest, it wasn't a lot of use apart from telling me that I needed to upgrade to view any records that I found of interest!
    I have activated the one month Diamond freebie and it seems to have over-riden the freebie GOLD sub, which is fine by me.
    Elaine

yes, you do need to give bank details
    "You'll enjoy 1 Months free access to our Diamond Personal Premium Monthly subscription. After this, we'll use the below details to setup your Diamond Personal Premium - Annual subscription for you at £119.45 every 12 Months so you can enjoy hassle free continued access. You will not be charged until the end of your free access and you can cancel at any time during this period (Details will be in your activation email)."
    You just need to remember to cancel before your month is up!

Comment

Just been speaking to a friend who signed up with a new email address - added her personal details (name, address etc), activated the free sub - ignored the section about card details - and it worked.
      Elaine

Comment

They say there is a cancellation button on the subscription page - but there isn't. From their T&C's:

• In order for you to continue to receive the benefit of our records and unique tools, your trial will automatically convert into the level and duration which you have chosen (or our gold personal premium annual subscription by default). If you wish to cancel, this must be done within the 14 day free trial period in order to stop the conversion. Cancellations can be made in the "My Account - Subscription History" section, by clicking the "Cancel" button or by contacting us.
        • If you do not receive an email confirmation after 1 hour, please contact us to ensure you will not be charged. After conversion of the 14 day free trial to a premium subscription, no refund can be made unless proof of cancellation within this period can be provided.
        • To ensure uninterrupted service, your premium subscription will automatically renew on the year anniversary of it starting (the day after your free trial finishes). To stop renewal, simply cancel your subscription at any point before the renewal day bycontacting us.
        • Cancellation of subscriptions must be made in writing (by letter/email) at least two weeks before the next payment due date. Cancellations will not take effect before the end of any minimum sign-up period.

So I will have to go through the rigmarole of emailing them.

Comment

Has anyone tried to sign up without entering credit card details - you will need to be a new user, i.e. create an account where they don't previously have your credit card details stored. I know it works - just helped someone do it!
          Elaine

Comment

I just tried and it would not let me through without giving credit card details, I don't think I have ever signed up to this before and I know I would never have given credit card details if I had.

Edna

Comment

I have hardly ever used that site is it worth using ? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Has anyone tried to sign up without entering credit card details - you will need to be a new user, i.e. create an account where they don't previously have your credit card details stored. I know it works - just helped someone do it!
                Originally posted by clematised View Post
                I just tried and it would not let me through without giving credit card details, I don't think I have ever signed up to this before and I know I would never have given credit card details if I had.

Edna
                How strange!
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  I have hardly ever used that site is it worth using ? thanks
                  If there is a one month freebie then it's always worth taking a look - you never know what records might have been added since you last looked.
                  Elaine

Comment

I could not get in without credit card details the box asked for them but then I checked e mail and there it was, no card details given but I was accepted and I have done a search and found something.
                    Thanks Elaine its worked

Edna

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I did the same as Edna and it's worked for me too.
                      AUDREY

Comment

Glad it worked .. eventually!
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I'm in

Comment

That's good that you got in. If anyone does give their card details beware ... you must send them an email or letter to cancel. There is NO cancel button on the subscription page! Very annoying I found that.
                            Anne

Comment

I had so much trouble cancelling my subscription a few years back that I refuse to use them again, Free or not!

They don't like you searching for other people either. I know two people who were fined by them for this. No idea how that worked but they did.
                              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Really wanted to try this site .......... but not happy to give them my E-mail password. They don't need my password to E-mail me - why do they want it?
                                I put in the one I used to use for E-mail (no one else would ever use one like it) and they said it was already in use ...........!!! I use it on ancestry and FTM!

Sue
                                Last edited by Sue1; 19-09-15, 12:56.

Comment

They want you to make up your own password for their site. They use your email address as the user name.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This is my favourite site of all. I had no trouble cancelling...just emailed them and it was done. The only reason I cancelled was hubby wasn't working when the renewal came around.

Comment

They have just confirmed my cancellation at the end of the free trial period. Having used it over the weekend I think it would be fine for beginners but has not got a lot more for my personal requirements other than tithe records. Found it easy to search though and straightforward to understand.
                                      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-09-15, 14:15.

Comment

Working...
                                      X