Paf5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paf5

I have been using the FamilySearch PAF5 program to store my family tree for a number of years now. Today the list of "Individuals" disappeared for some unexplained reason. Can anybody who is familiar with the PAF5 program help me to get the "Individuals" list back? Please note that the information on my tree is still available on the "Pedigree" and "Family" buttons.
    Regards
    colincam

I don't know the answer but you might want to consider changing your program, Colin. I think FamilySearch discontinued PAF some time ago so there will be no support for it. Maybe a change would secure your tree for the future?
    Anne

Comment

I still own a copy of PAF 5, but I'm using Family Historian.
      So, do you still have the tabs, Family | Pedigree | Individual? If so, when you press Individual, no one is listed?

If the tab doesn't exist, then what about going uder the View tab (above the other tab line), and selecting Individual.

What happens?

And, Anne is right...I'd say if you're going to continue to use PAF, you need to do frequent GEDCOM back ups!

Comment

PAF5 help

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        I still own a copy of PAF 5, but I'm using Family Historian.
        So, do you still have the tabs, Family | Pedigree | Individual? If so, when you press Individual, no one is listed?

If the tab doesn't exist, then what about going uder the View tab (above the other tab line), and selecting Individual.

What happens?

And, Anne is right...I'd say if you're going to continue to use PAF, you need to do frequent GEDCOM back ups!
        Hi PhotoFamily

Thanks for your interest

The tabs | Family | Pedigree | Individual | still exist but nothing happens if you press Individual tab or tick Individual in the View tab.
        The Individual screen appears with no columns or information; only parallel horizontal lines.

Regards

colincam

Comment

What I would do:
          * back up what I have
          * export a gedcom
          * import the gedcom to a new tree.
          * pray.

When was your last back up? There's various free/trial gen-software apps that would allow you to independently test your gedcom file, and know whether it's corrupt, vs, PAF misbehaving.

Comment

you might also be interested in this thread. The last post mentions how to download PAF (as of then, anyway). Maybe that site will have support info?

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily
              I note what you say above and thank you for your interest in my problem.
              Last night I used the Check/Repair function on the PAF5 program and it showed that there was 1 error under the heading "Checking Blocks" whatever that means.
              However I do feel that it is the program that has been corrupted rather than my data, probably by my shutting down the computer before the PAF5 program has been properly closed.
              Fortunately my wife has an uncorrupted PAF5 program on her laptop which I could copy and transfer to my computer if I knew how to do it??
              Cheers
              colincam

Comment

Originally posted by colincam View Post
                Fortunately my wife has an uncorrupted PAF5 program on her laptop which I could copy and transfer to my computer if I knew how to do it??
                Cheers
                colincam
                Colin - that thread has a link to download a new copy of PAF, if you want to do it that way. Glad you could find the source of your problem!

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily
                  I thank you for your help.
                  I am hoping to be able to obtain a new copy of PAF5 either from the internet or from my wife's laptop.
                  However I would like to know from you:
                  1. if my data in PAF5 is stored separately from the PAF5 program itself
                  2. if you think that the 1 error I found by using the Check/Repair function is significant because I do not have another recent back-up.
                  3. if the problem I have, has been caused by any recent Microsoft/Adobe updates.
                  Your advice would be very much appreciated.
                  Regards
                  colincam

Comment

Oh, Colin -
                    If you're looking for an expert, you have not found one!

if the problem I have, has been caused by any recent Microsoft/Adobe updates. So, perhaps you upgraded to Windows 10, but you're running sunsetted software? I can't believe that's a good idea!

if my data in PAF5 is stored separately from the PAF5 program itself Yes, PAF reads files that have .paf extensions. You could search your computer for those. Also, in the PAF FILE tab, it will list the most recent PAF files that it has opened.

if you think that the 1 error I found by using the Check/Repair function is significant because I do not have another recent back-up. Now we're really beyond my knowledge limits, but as I mentioned before, I'd suggest backing up your current PAF file, then try exporting it to a GEDCOM. Then upload that GEDCOM either to a new genealogy software app, or find an old machine still running an old operating system, load it with PAF, and try to feed it your PAF file. Or your gedcom if that doesn't work.

I wish you the best of luck with this!

Comment

Hi Photofamily
                      I am delighted to report that my problem has now been fixed. It was really simple. Right click the first line below the tabs | Family | Pedigree | Individual | in the Individual screen and a drop down menu will appear listing the various possible column headings eg Birth, Death, Burial & Add or Modify Columns etc. Click the columns headings you want on the screen and hey presto your data will re-appear.
                      The lessons I have learnt as a result of this problem are that:-
                      1. the PAF5 Online Help is not as clear as it might be on this subject. It states that you should right-click the heading which at that stage I thought meant the word Individual
                      2. that the Individual screen can be wiped cleaned by some unknown means or outside force so be careful.
                      Finally I would like to thank you (PhotoFamily) for your help and patience on this matter.
                      Thank you
                      Kindest regards
                      colincam

Comment

Not sure I helped, except by holding your hand! but your welcome.

I hope you'll do frequent back ups in the future

Comment

Glad to hear you are up and running again, Colin. Do seriously consider some alternative way of keeping your tree. Next time it may not be so easy, and as we said, PAF is now discontinued.
                          Anne

Comment

Colin

For future reference you might like to know that www.legacyfamilytree.com/ (the FREE Standard edition) will import a PAF Data file directly - no need to convert to GEDCOM first.

Comment

Hi Vivian, Alice in Carlisle, PhotoFamily
                              I note what all of you say but I do like the simplicity and clarity of PAF5 and its sister program PAF Companion. However, every so often I transfer a copy of my tree information to my Ancestry tree which is great for providing me with hints etc. Also I take back-ups of my PAF5 tree after I have inputted some new information. This recent experience will definitely make me do that more often.
                              Thank you all
                              colincam

Comment

I have a 4th cousin, who has published books on genealogy, who still keeps his family history on PAF.

I do think it's a good plan to run PAF in an older version of Windows, or at least, know where to find an older version of Windows available in the event of an emergency.

I work on a Mac, with a Windows emulation running XP. But, as I stated before, I don't keep my tree in PAF anymore.

But I love some of the reports I can run in PAF and PAF Companion! And the merge utility in PAF is great.

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily
                                  I run PAF5 on Windows 7. I do not intend to convert to Windows 10 until I have tested whether PAF5 works on it.
                                  For your information I did write to the FamilySearch people sometime ago complaining that PAF5 would no longer be supported but to no avail!!!
                                  That said I do have my tree on Ancestry to fall back on.
                                  Regards
                                  colincam

Comment

How do I start a new thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Charle View Post
                                      How do I start a new thread?
                                      Click + Post New Thread within the section it should post.

You don't have full membership privileges until you've posted...10? messages. Not sure if affects your ability to start a thread??
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                        Click + Post New Thread within the section it should post.

You don't have full membership privileges until you've posted...10? messages. Not sure if affects your ability to start a thread??
                                        Oh. OK. I'm looking for help with PDF reports from PAF. I was able to do that a few years ago but have been away and can't remember how any longer. I do remember there are some hoops to go through. PAF only creates RTF

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X