Saving a Gedcom to computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a Gedcom to computer

I need to re-save my Trees (for the sake of safety and in the absence of a working FTM) to my computer - I have done this before with no problem but with little idea of what I was doing. Have just tried to do so and haven't a clue where they went - could be anywhere (trees remains safe in anc.co site) - even my husband can't find them. I can find the old ones I saved in May but zilch else - a lot has gone on the Trees since then so a re-save is vital.

Can these be saved to a disc or does it have to be specially formatted to take a Gedcom.
    I know the pictures don't save.

Grateful for any advice - no laughing please!

Sue

You'll need a program on your computer if you want to open the saved Gedcom anyway, Sue. I don't keep my tree on Ancestry so I'm not sure of the routine. Have you looked in your "Downloads" folder? That's where I usually find things I downloaded from the internet.
    Anne

Comment

Taken me a long time to find "downloads" (hiding under Win7 which is Windows 7 I imagine and that is what the computer runs as).
      The old saved Gedcoms are there for each tree i.e. from May this year but the new on is ......... ?well it is anyones guess where it is BUT must be on here somewhere but isn't under downloads.
      Going to try and do something else technical - i.e. change Avatar - probably end up with a Gedcom as an Avatar - at least I will know where one of them is then!

Sue

Comment

Simply get the computer to do a search for .ged files and it will find it for you.

A gedcom file is simply a text file that can be opened by any program that can read text files, however you will probably not understand it if you open it in one as it looks like

0 HEAD
        1 SOUR BROSKEEP
        2 VERS 5.2 WINDOWS
        1 DEST BROSKEEP
        1 DATE 04 MAY 2009
        1 CHAR ANSI
        1 FILE D:\BK5\GUY.GED
        0 @I1@ INDI
        1 NAME William Henry /ECCOT/
        1 SEX M
        1 BIRT
        2 DATE 4 AUG 1846
        2 PLAC Haynes, Bedfordshire
        1 DEAT
        2 DATE 2 OCT 1927
        2 PLAC Leytonstone, Essex
        1 NOTE died Centra Home, Leytonstone, Essex
        1 FAMS @F1@
        1 FAMC @F61@
        0 @I2@ INDI
        1 NAME Sarah /WOODCOCK/
        1 SEX F
        1 BIRT
        2 DATE CIR 1848
        2 PLAC Southill, Bedfordshire
        1 DEAT
        2 DATE CIR 1908
        1 FAMS @F1@
        0 @I3@ INDI
        1 NAME Florence Elizabeth /ECOTT/
        1 SEX F
        1 BIRT
        2 DATE 18 JAN 1890
        2 PLAC .Essex
        1 FAMS @F2@
        1 FAMC @F1@
        0 @I4@ INDI
        1 NAME Henry William /WOODCOCK/
        2 ALIA Henry William /ECOTT/
        1 SEX M

Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy, Will do it in morning as past midnight and tired - best do it in the light of day. Sue

Comment

Working...
          X