Church Acceptance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Acceptance

I doubt I've put this in the correct place so I do apologize...

Slightly random question but from the late 1790's to at least the 1830's how close would you have had to live near a church to be accepted within it? I'm asking because I've finally gotten round to searching for the churches within my Mums family and looking at the maps they are the only ones that I can find within that location where as more closer to say 1921 and the town we are in now I know that you had to specifically live within distance of that Church and share that faith.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

If you live within the parish area of a church the vicar would usually be willing to offer baptism, marriage and a funeral service. However you can attend any church you wish and if a regular attender you would almost certainly be able to marry and have your children baptised there.
    Anne
    Edit to add ..... sorry, missed the dates. The above would still apply but you would need to find the area the parish covered. These have changed in many places over the years and may be very different now to the period you mention. They usually have historical parish maps in the County Archive.
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-09-15, 23:06.

Comment

If you can't find baptisms you're seeking, then you might like to consider non-conformist denominations. If your folks lived in rural areas, chapels were often arranged into circuits, with a communal baptism register e.g baptisms for the chapel-goers in my village were recorded in the circuit book named after the local market town.
      Many villages had TWO chapels - a Wesleyan Methodist attended by the farmers, tradesmen and those regarding themselves as having some standing in the community, and a Primitive Methodist, used mainly by the employees of the above (the lesser mortals LOL!) Each chapel denomination had its own separate register.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-09-15, 10:52.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Oh I've got the records but I'm trying to work out how close my lot would have lived near the church because in 1921 my Granddad was born over the road from a Church and yet all along that street were other churches as well that served the town so it made me wonder if it depended on faith or living near it, speaking of the original post which was for St Andrew's Parish Church in Bishop Auckland I have been reading a book and the church was mentioned within it, it's now also making me wonder if the bodies that were accidentally exhumed until they found the right ones may have been any of my Phillips.

A hint on that one being mentioned in the MAC post of mine in the General Area. My Phillips lot were in Bishop Auckland between 100-150 years before MAC and so that now makes me want to know if they were in the exact same area or not. I can't look at Census records as the years of the Baptisms are 1748-1783. I'm not sure if you can see this link or not but to me the Church doesn't look that close to the centre of Bishop Auckland which did have a church there named St Peter's : http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index....6646&layers=1

In case you can't see the link there's a screenshot here, I know it was focusing on the Mill bit but you can see the church mentioned at the very bottom:
        mill.jpg
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Think you need the parish maps for the time, Sarah. The parish church was not necessarily in the middle of the oarish!
          Anne

Comment

The church was there long before the town - the church dates from the year 700AD, although its position has shifted slightly. Until the 1850s, Bishops Auckland was not much more than a village really. Houses would have been built where they were needed which wasn't necessarily next to the church, as Anne says.

Who knows why people attend the church they attend? I have several instances in my tree where they must have walked right past one church to get to one further away - perhaps that vicar did better sermons, lol.

OC

Comment

In my experience, so much of this comes down to the Bishop and how he controlled his diocese and then the churchwardens and how they controlled their building.

The Church of England is a real hodge-podge of rules and regulations, adapted for local conditions. Is the building urban, or rural? Was there an active Dean, or did everything go straight to the Bishop? Was it a 'mother church', or one of the 'ducklings'? Was it a real church, or a chapel of ease? Was it endowed by a wealthy patron, whose family had a special licence? Almost forgot - was it high church or low church? Put all the things in the mix and give a good stir - and ten miles down the road they do it totally differently!

Regards

Kiltpin
              Whannell, Eaton and Jackson, in Scotland, India and England

Dugdale, Ramm, Garrod, Taylor and Smith in Norfolk and Hull

Comment

I couldn't fathom why one of my tree families had children in one county and they were then baptised in another county.
                Visiting the area and seeing the short down-hill walk to the nearest church, which just happened to be across the county boundary made the situation much clearer.

I do think personalities...or clashes of them could also play a part. An elderly relative told how his parents didn't get on with their local vicar and so were buried in a neighbouring country parish and not the one where they'd lived all their lives.

2 of my direct line ancestors were baptised into the Church of England as babies, yet married in a Primative Methodist Chapel although my mother knew them and was taken to church services by them, -to church not chapel, although both buildings were located within walking distance of their cottage.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  I doubt I've put this in the correct place so I do apologize...

Slightly random question but from the late 1790's to at least the 1830's how close would you have had to live near a church to be accepted within it? I'm asking because I've finally gotten round to searching for the churches within my Mums family and looking at the maps they are the only ones that I can find within that location where as more closer to say 1921 and the town we are in now I know that you had to specifically live within distance of that Church and share that faith.
                  That all depends on what you mean by “to be accepted within it”

The clergy (of the C of E) have a duty to baptise every person who comes to them (or is brought to them) to be baptised unless they have already been baptised.

In the case of marriages every parishioner has the right to be married in the Parish Church (However they will have to accept the rights of the C of E for this to happen).
                  In addition everyone has the right to marry in the parish church where they usually worship and had joined the Church’s Electoral Roll.

In the case of burials every parishioner has the right to be buried in the churchyard of the parish Church provided it is still open for burials. ( since 1880 they no longer have to be buried according to the rights of the C of E, this includes those who have committed suicide).

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                    I couldn't fathom why one of my tree families had children in one county and they were then baptised in another county.
                    Visiting the area and seeing the short down-hill walk to the nearest church, which just happened to be across the county boundary made the situation much clearer.

I do think personalities...or clashes of them could also play a part. An elderly relative told how his parents didn't get on with their local vicar and so were buried in a neighbouring country parish and not the one where they'd lived all their lives.

2 of my direct line ancestors were baptised into the Church of England as babies, yet married in a Primative Methodist Chapel although my mother knew them and was taken to church services by them, -to church not chapel, although both buildings were located within walking distance of their cottage.

That is precisely why I was not married in my Parish Church .......

......... we got married in OH's church on the outskirts of Chester instead of in my church on the outskirts of Oldham!

I could have chosen another church in Oldham, the one where my brother and I were baptised and Mum and Dad were married ............ but I loved the old country church.

I had two reasons not to like the vicar, one was not liking his religious persona, and the other had to do with his continued visits to our house once he discovered I was studying A-level Botany ...... he really must have been the last of the old-style vicars who were much more interested in science (or hunting) than in the Church.

The vicar actually served there for about 37 years, and there was a song written about him in the Lancashire dialect by a local folk singer.

Much much later, I met Roy Lancaster who some of you must have heard of as a well-known gardener ............. it turned out that "my" vicar had previously been in the parish where Roy was raised, and had a great influence on Roy's great interest in botany and horticulture!

Some of you may have seen programmes about the Botanical Vicar on TV ..........

I was obviously a one-off in my attitude to him
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My forebears lived closer to the Thorncombe parish church than the one at Broadwinsor but attended the Broadwinsor one. I suspect that the reason for this may have

been because they got on better with the rector at B/w.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

After my mother died in 1951, my father did not attend that local church ................ he used to walk across the town to go to the church he had attended up until he married my mother in 1928. It took him about an hour each way, almost every Sunday.

I think he felt more comfortable in that church, even though most of his friends form earlier days had long left the area.

When Dad died, my brother arranged to have the service in the church where Mum and Dad had married and bro and I had been baptised ............... and that was about an hour's walk away from the house in another direction!
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                        X