First known child, b. 1869
    Name Ellen
    Gender Female
    Christening Place 28, DONEGAL, DON, IRE
    Birth Date 14 Jul 1869
    Birthplace Donegal, Don, Ire
    Father's Name John Love
    Mother's Name Anne Ritchie

Familysearch has several children indexed for this couple, some more specifically born in Menacally/Killymard, Donegal

Can anyone find the marriage?

There's a John Love and Anne Richey marriage in Killymard, Donegal in 1854. Don't know if that's too early for your couple

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

(Don't know why there's a frown in that link!)
    Last edited by Night Owl; 09-09-15, 16:14.
    Jackie

Comment

I think it makes sense, tho. It's in the right place. Marriage Civil Reg started earlier than Birth & Death, so Ellen is just the first child caught in Birth Civil Reg.

Thanks!

Comment

Griffiths Valuation for 1857 shows John & William Love jointly farming on plot 8 in Meenacally which was a 30 acre farm.

The tithe applotment records c 1830 show Rob Love in Meenacally North and Wm Love in Meenacally South.

1901 census:

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks, Elwyn.
          A descendant of the Andrew/John/William line is a genetic cousin. In my line, there's a Love that married a McKennitt, and moved to Ontario.

I suspect that the father of that line, or a grandfather, may have been the common Love ancestor.

If anyone is interested in Killymard, this is a very useful book:

But my McKennets/McKennitts only appear in the census in the 1841, and not in any of the baptisms that the book has. I wonder if the family attended a different church/parish. Pretty sure I checked RootsIreland under the old PPV/free index page system, and did not find a Love McKennitt marriage.

Comment

The early Killymard Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin, during the civil war. They have no marriages earlier than April 1845. So perhaps that may be the explanation as to why you can't find the Love-McKennitt marriage.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

The Killymard book is pretty amazing - the parish rector had access to the 1821/41/51 census information for the parish:
              ...Well, they do exist for Killymard Parish, thanks to The Rev William Wilson Mercer, who recorded these details in notebooks, recently found in the house of Charles Gould. They are the census for 1821/41/51 and are the only copies, the originals being destroyed by fire in the Public Record Office in Dublin in 1922.
              He also added information about the families in the parish, listed baptisms from 1844 on, and more.

The McKennitts are not in the 1821 census (but one McKennitt family is in the 1841/51), and none of the Andrew Love children are listed in the baptism records - making me think that the Love family may have attended a different parish church - and ditto for the McKennitts.

Comment

Working...
              X