Help with occupation, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with occupation, please

Can anyone decipher the occupation of applicant John Watson on his marriage bond, please? I can make out that his mate is a wool comber, but haven't a clue as to what John did.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

it's in latin, and even blown up, still too fuzzy to see what it says.

Comment

Thanks Kyle.

I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with curing pelts??? Probably my imagination, but further down the application in the last section, it looks like "ditto" for the name of the person, and then "Tanner." A tanner cured pelts, but tanners and tanning never featured in my schoolgirl Latin course!

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I keep trying to look but I'm just getting a blank page, sorry Jay!

OC

Comment

Thanks for trying OC. I've just experimented with the link and had to wait a minute or two, and then point up with the mouse and pull down to get the image.

Apparently, pellis is the Latin word for skin, so perhaps my man was a currier, curing rather than tanning (or perhaps he did both) - fits in with his mate being a wool comber!

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

it looks like Pellicaritt Jay, though I have no idea what it is!
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

tanner:

coriarius, coriarii N M 2 1 M [XXXDO]
              leather worker; tanner; currier (processes/dyes leather after the tanning);
              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie - I think it's pellic....... something, but WHAT?????
                I know that the word tanner is to do with "tanin," used in treating/dying the cured skins and that currier comes from "curing."
                So many skills and trades which we no longer know about :(

I feel he probably came home from work bring the smell of work with him, and no bathing or showers in those days.... I don't want to think about it!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Thanks Julie - I think it's pellic....... something, but WHAT?????
                  I know that the word tanner is to do with "tanin," used in treating/dying the cured skins and that currier comes from "curing."
                  So many skills and trades which we no longer know about :(

I feel he probably came home from work bring the smell of work with him, and no bathing or showers in those days.... I don't want to think about it!

Jay
                  me neither! I remember seeing Tony Robinson's horrible jobs in History about Tanning and how he kept feeling urgh
                  Julie

Comment

I agree it looks like Pellicaritt, which doesn't seem to translate accuratley but Latin words did often get combined in odd ways on records.

Pellis is a skin/hide/pelt and the proper translation for tanner is Coriarius or Coriarii , so it may be a made up word for a "skin tanner"
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony - I welcome your opinion.

I'll settle for something in the currier/tanner/fellmonger line of work. Well, SOMEBODY had to do it!

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Right off the back wall because I still cannot bring up the image BUT

my dictionary gives the word PELLICIA, meaning a fur garment, the English rendering of which is a PELISSE. So perhaps he was a pelisse maker and the scribe wrote down Pelliciarist in desperation!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, definitely food for thought - I'd never thought of pelisse in association with "the word." Sounds a much more genteel occupation!

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Eh Janet: After looking at your post. As a trade of Pellecton, is John a Pellicaritt.

I have no clue what they are talking about though.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, we think John probably worked with animal skins (pelts), but are unsure of the precise nature of his work. There were probably different words to describe different stages in the process of transforming them into wearing apparel, but words which have now shifted in meaning, or become obsolete over the centuries.
                              It could even have been something to do with sheepskins - Norfolk was an important centre of the woollen trade at one time, especially the production of worsted.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                              X