Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient Records any ideas on where I go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Records any ideas on where I go from here?

Ages ago I signed up to My Heritage.com and have found a branch of my family, a Thomas Organyne was born and died in Lambourne Bedford, he married a Christiana and they had four children, one of which was my ancestor, the marriage would have taken place in around 1480.

I have two questions, ages ago I found my way onto a website and have not managed to find it since, I thought it was run by the CLDS but does not correspond with what I remember, while I appreciate you cannot say with certainty the name of the site I was looking at I could do with you suggestions, ICI comes to mind but again, I cannot find the links. My second query is the origin of the surname Organyne, is it French or just French sounding. While I realise that the 1460s when Thomas and Christiana were born is a long time ago, call me nosy but I would like to know.

Lorraine

you probably mean Familysearch which used to host the old IGI.

Frankly, what you are trying to do is fantasy research! There are no church records before 1534 at the earliest and for pre-church records you need a famikly which was important enough to be recorded in other ways - wills, land transactions etc.

If I were you, I would concentrate on researching the post mediaeval part of your family tree and making sure that is one hundred percent accurate, supported by certificates and other written (primary source) records.

For the possible meaning of the surname - why not google?

OC

Comment

I'm puzzled about the location Lambourne Bedford. The only Lambourne I know of is in Berkshire, where there are loads of racing stables. Name spellings are extremely elastic, even up to the late 19th century.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Interesting, I did not know of that link. We have got quite a few coachmen in the family, that feature throughout the decades.

Comment

UJ

I think I have worked out where the confusion lies.

Lambourn is in Berkshire of course and is of racing fame, as you say. Nearby are two small villages, Great Shefford and Little Shefford. Over the border and into Bedfordshire is a small town called Shefford. In Shefford, Bedfordshire, are a number of small businesses and roads etc, called Lambourn, so I would think there was some loose unknown Lambourn connection between the places called Shefford and the researcher has failed to realise the difference between the places called Shefford.

Looking at parish register transcriptions for Lambourn in BERKSHIRE, in the early 1500s there are a few children baptised with the surname ORGAN but as no parents' names are given on the register this early, it is a full stop really.

Googling the surname ORGANYN brings up only one reference to the name and that is on this thread, lol, so I confidently predict that ORGANYN is a mistranscription and the surname is ORGAN - which is a very old English surname.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            UJ

I think I have worked out where the confusion lies.

Lambourn is in Berkshire of course and is of racing fame, as you say. Nearby are two small villages, Great Shefford and Little Shefford. Over the border and into Bedfordshire is a small town called Shefford. In Shefford, Bedfordshire, are a number of small businesses and roads etc, called Lambourn, so I would think there was some loose unknown Lambourn connection between the places called Shefford and the researcher has failed to realise the difference between the places called Shefford.

OC
            I think that must be the case. Shefford Beds. is nearly 100 miles from Lambourn, even with the M25 and M4.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X