Finding a death-impossible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a death-impossible

Hi I was wondering if anyone would be up for the challenge of trying to find a death as I'm not really having much luck.

I have the death of a Margaret Phillips nee Wray/Reay in 1814 and on the record it mentions that she is a widow but I haven't been able to come across the death of her husband Robert Phillips on Ancestry which I was praying would provide an estimated birth for him. Myself and a lot of other trees have the 1740's so far. Margaret herself was born in 1741 according to the death and baptism I found for her.

There is a record on Durham Records Online pointing towards Darlington in 1796 but there's no estimated birth so I'm not sure if it is him or not.

Thank you
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Sorry can't help but you have my sympathies in trying to resolve your problem.

I have terrible trouble killing people off on my trees especially if they die before 1837 in England and 1855 in Scotland.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I'm now wondering if he started off as a Phillipson, I think I might start a new tree with the Robert Phillipson that I've found or even the no forname Phillipson to see what we get, if they've married then cross it out etc. the Robert Phillipson record indicates Stanhope which just so happens to be in Bishop Auckland where I'm looking for.

Comment

Trouble is, burials before 1813 are very variable and quite often don't have an age. You are then reliant on whatever else the vicar decided to add. If you are lucky it might be a job description but some of them just say Joe Bloggs buried with no indication at all if it was a child or adult.
        Anne

Comment

I ended up buying the Durham Record and I think it's safe to say it isn't my person, surely it would have had his wife listed and not a possible Father?

Burials, Darlington DistrictRecord Number: 587862.2
          Church: St. Cuthbert
          Denomination: Anglican
          09 Feb 1796 Robert Phillips, of Darlington, son of George Phillips (weaver)

Comment

Sarah, sadly when you are going that far back in history, women were rarely recognised in their own right. In your transcription case I would expect that the Robert in question was a minor.
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Sorry all I can find is the marriage in 1768 on family search.
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                I ended up buying the Durham Record and I think it's safe to say it isn't my person, surely it would have had his wife listed and not a possible Father?
                Yes, I agree, if a father is mentioned it is probably the death of a child. Its very uncommon for a man to have his wife listed, although quite common for the record to say eg Ann wife of Joe Bloggs.
                Anne
                Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 31-08-15, 17:31.

Comment

Working...
                X