Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Jordan

Hi All
    Can someone help me please, my Gt Uncle Frank Jordan aged 25 (a Seaman) of 16 Spencer Road Mitcham Surrey was charged with Murder on the 07.06.1912 he admmited killing a Charlotte Jeeves in Balham Grove in Balham, London the only info i can find is that he was remanded on that day, but i cant find the case or where he was tried or if he was imprisoned or wether he was hanged.:(

Hi John,
    He was tried at the Old Bailey for murder but convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 8 years penal servitude.
    Details here:
    A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

There are also various newspaper reports on FindMyPast if you have a sub...

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by john.nicholls View Post
      Hi All
      Can someone help me please, my Gt Uncle Frank Jordan aged 25 (a Seaman) of 16 Spencer Road Mitcham Surrey was charged with Murder on the 07.06.1912 he admmited killing a Charlotte Jeeves in Balham Grove in Balham, London the only info i can find is that he was remanded on that day, but i cant find the case or where he was tried or if he was imprisoned or wether he was hanged.:(
      FMP has a small piece about it. Lichfield Mercury dated 14th June 1912

A verdict of Wilful Murder against Frank Jordan was returned at the Inquest of Charlotte Jeeves married woman. She was living apart from her husband
      "On the previous Thursday she was battered to death with a flat iron at her home."

Comment

Another newspaper report says he was from "respectable parentage" while she was a "woman of low character". Apparently the had frequent drunken quarrels.
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 29-08-15, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          Another newspaper report says he was from "respectable parentage" while she was a "woman of low character". Apparently the had frequent drunken quarrels.
          Yes, that was what his counsel stated in his defence. Horrible! Never mind his previous conviction:
          In April, 1909, prisoner received three months' hard labour for wounding a prostitute with whom he was living.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

John,
            You can also find him in various criminal registers on FMP,relating to this crime.
            There is also a later conviction in early 1921. Now a florist, he pleaded guilty to going equipped for housebreaking and was sentenced to 9 months hard labour in Wandsworth.

Christine
            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Hi John,
              He was tried at the Old Bailey for murder but convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 8 years penal servitude.
              Details here:
              A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

There are also various newspaper reports on FindMyPast if you have a sub...

Christine
              Hi Christine
              Thanks for that i must admit im very surprised on how lightly he got let of being 1911, and also according to the Standard newspaper back then he said 'i struck her with the flat iron and killed her that is the end of it'. i thought he would have at least got life. This is strange also as the name Jordan is my Grandmother which is my Fathers Mothers maiden name and the Detective who knicked him was D I Nicholls which is the same name as my nans Marriage name, hence my name John Nicholls.:D

Comment

Hi there
                Wow ! he was a criminal without doubt thankyou so much for that.

Comment

Thank you Janet.

Comment

Thank you Christine.

Comment

Thank you Karamazov.

Comment

Originally posted by john.nicholls View Post
                        Thank you Christine.
                        Hi John,
                        l've just sent you a PM.

Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

He should have swung for killing her. Charlotte C Jeeves (nee Moore) was my Great, great grandmother. What hurts me more is the comment used to describe her... "A woman of low character" But he (Jordan) had a history of beating women and not long after his release from prison he's nicked again in 1921 for housebreaking so in my eyes who's the person with "low character"? I don't know where Frank Jordan ended up or what happened to him but it's all history that turned our paths and shaped our lives.

Mark Ganley

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mark, and my sympathies for the sad event that brought you here. Lawyers often use harsh words about others when trying to get their clients off, and I can quiet understand how upsetting the past can be - in the 1930s a distant relative's aunt was died after being tied up during a break in, her apron was stuffed in her mouth and a bedspread tied over her head, the killer was only convicted of manslaughter. As you say these events shape lives.

There are plenty of people that can help you with this or other aspects of your research here, just ask.

Comment

Thank you Jill for your kind words, apologies for the lengthy gap.

I wonder if you could give me some help & pointers;
                              One of my great uncles (Thomas Ganley) was run over and killed by a "Motor Bus" in the Strand, London on 4 June 1915. He was only 14 years old. A subsequent Inquest was held at Westminster Coroners Court on the 8 June where a verdict of accidental death was recorded by the Coroner - Mr S.J Oddie. I contacted the coroners court in March 2016 in the hope to get more information on the inquest and the people who attended but I was informed only a sample of papers were kept 20 years and only then if it was of legal interest, the rest after that period were destroyed.

I have very limited knowledge of research and wondered if this event would have been covered in a newspaper or any other medium as he was so young.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated,
                              Thanks,
                              Mark Ganley

Comment

I've had a look at the newspapers for 1915 on Find My Past, but haven't found anything on him unfortunately.

Comment

I also couldn't find anything in the online newspapers for 1915. Several references to Mr S J Oddie, coroner, but none of the inquests were for the case you cited.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks anyway.

I've now searched through a national archive newspaper database and although there were similar incidents involving Motor Bus deaths, I found nothing about Thomas. I can only assume it was missed and not reported. :-(

Comment

Working...
                                    X