Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Merchant Navy Records on Ancestry

UK, Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy, 1824-1910

Had a search and found the record of my g/g/grandfather, age 16, apprenticed to Hugh Barkly for 4years 11/2/1828.

In 1834 he was a Captain and I have a record taken from one of his diaries. In 1845/46 he was Captain of an opium clipper Water Witch on the run between India and China.

I have been searching for a number of years to find out about his sea career gaining snippets along the way. Now I have a place to start the search is on again. A quick search on Google for Hugh Barkly possibly connects him to the West Indies trade.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated. I do have his family history it is only his sea career I am trying to find out about.

Ian

you dont give his name ?

Comment

Hugh Barkly is mentioned twice Val, read it again

Edna

Comment

Hi all,

Val is quite correct I did not mention my g/g/grandfathers name on my post. His name is Charles Forgan born 1812 in Carnbee, fife, Scotland. The Hugh Barkly is the chap he was apprenticed to in 1828.

Thanks for your interest,

Ian

Comment

Sorry Ian and Val it was I who should have read it again ha ha, should have went to sp*ck savers

Hope someone can find him for you

Edna

Comment

made me giggle Edna shall have a nosey Ian

Comment

seems his name was Charles Petullah Forgan ? do you have your tree on ancestry

Comment

If you search for Forgan or Water Witch in the Singapore Libraries you'll find several newspaper images for both. It looks as though The Water Witch was captained by Reynell in August 1845.

There is an entry for the British Barque Louisa captained by Forgan (doesn't give a first name) arriving from Calcutta on 29th July 1845. Also the British Barque Emily Jane, Forgan to Calcutta November 1845. Then in March 1846 Water Witch, Forgan is mentioned. There are several other articles in between

Jackie

Comment

Also worth looking at several of these newspapers. If you click on the edition and then put Forgan in the box to search within the volume you'll find some more arrivals and departures

Jackie

Comment

Yes Val, that's his name and I have my tree on Ancestry.

Thanks for your help Jackie and I will look at those two sites you have given me. Charles Captained the Water Witch in 1846 on the India - China run after Reynell.

Thanks again,

Ian

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Had a look on those two websites you gave me and yes, plenty of arrivals and departures mentioning him.

Thanks again,

Ian

Comment

You're welcome
                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                        X