Never had this happen before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never had this happen before

My Husband's Great Grandmother was illegitimate and her Mother had never been married.

Two years later she did marry, a William Thacker and had several children.

Someone who didn't bother to get Great Grandmother's birth certificate has attached her to William's tree as his daughter and has informed me of her Grandfather! and Great Grandfather! and if I need any further help she would be more than wiling to share her tree.

No Thanks lol

Linda

I had something similar happen with my 3 x gt grandfather who married twice. He had 3 children with his first wife who died of TB about a month after the birth of the 3rd child. I have their marriage certificate and her death certificate. He then married again very shortly after and had several children with the new wife, including our 2 x ancestor.

Too many of the family trees have no idea of the first wife.

Fortunately (??), it is the eldest half-siblings of the family ancestor who are mis-assigned ........ but still!!
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have a "gateway" ancestor born in 1743. He married twice, both times to a woman called Ellen. It is astonishing how many people claim descent from his first wife when they are actually (if at all) descended from the second. If they had looked at the original records, they would immediately see that the fourth child of the first marriage was baptised on the day of his mother's funeral - it says so in the margin!

Linda - I'd be so tempted to reply and say "thanks for putting me right, I must have the wrong birth cert for her because there is no father named on it and she was born two years before that marriage". But there's not much point - lots of people do not like being told they are wrong.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        I have a "gateway" ancestor born in 1743. He married twice, both times to a woman called Ellen. It is astonishing how many people claim descent from his first wife when they are actually (if at all) descended from the second.
        OC
        I have a similar scenario - a John marrying Jane W in 1718 (4 known children) and then marrying Jane T in 1729 (6 known children.) Lots of mangled trees with John & one Jane having anything up to 10 children. If they had cared to consult PR, the two marriages and the death of Jane W would have been revealed - also the death of John & of his widow Jane 2. PR would also have revealed that there was only one family of that surname living in the village - no bp for John, but the burial of his parents H & A. Instead, a different pair of parents are given, based on an available familysearch bp, guestimating John's year of a birth, in a place miles away, where the children of the selected pair of parents lived on for a couple of generations.
        I have the will of John's father, H, a resident of the village where John married, reared his two families and then died. It refers to his wife A and son John, hoping that John will be able to continue the tenancy of the farm, courtesy of Lord Fairfax the landowner.
        I have left comments on some of the erroneous trees, but all have been ignored. After all, what do I know? ;D

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 22-08-15, 20:30.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay

Yup, what do you know? You know no more than I do, when telling someone they had something fundamentally wrong (and the evidence for the wrongness was actually ON LINE!) they replied "But 20 other people have it so IT MUST BE RIGHT AND YOU MUST BE WRONG, I'M AFRAID".

What baffles me about that statement is - if they didn't check the information themselves, why did they think that the person they got the information from checked it?

OC

Comment

Exactly, OC!

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
            X