EIGHTEEN family of Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EIGHTEEN family of Reading

Hi folks, I hope this is the correct forum for this.

I am searching for information regarding descendants or living relatives of Frederick Syer EIGHTEEN (1865 - 1919) of Reading, Berkshire. The Eighteen family originated in Hadleigh, Suffolk, but some of them gradually relocated to Reading around 1860. The Eighteens were well-established in the Newtown area of Reading and particularly around Leopold Road, Orts Road and Arthur Road, where at one time they owned numerous houses and businesses.

Frederick married Charlotte Ellen Louisa SMITH (1870 - 1923) and they had thirteen children:

01) Frederick Syer, Jr (1886 - 1938)
    02) Vincent Ormonde (1888 - 1924)
    03) John Herbert (1890 - 1893)
    04) Thomas Edwin (1891 - 1893)
    05) Stanley James (1893 - 1956)
    06) John Bernard (1896 - 1917)
    07) Henry Thomas (1897 - 1916)
    08) Vera Ellen Louise (1899 - 1966)
    09) Sidney Ernest (1901 - 1965)
    10) William Arthur (1903 - 1988)
    11) Maud Agnes (1907 - 1982)
    12) Nora Kathleen (1909 - 1909)
    13) Ruby Ellen (1911 - 1943)

Some of the earlier dates may be a year out due to slight discrepancies between records.

If you are a direct relative of any of these people and can share information, memories or photographs then I would love to hear from you. However, even if any of these names simply ring a bell, perhaps only as childhood memories of old neighbours for people who grew up in Reading in the 50s and 60s, please let me know. Any and all information - however vague - is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

this link takes you to ancestry message boards where a few people have been looking for the Eighteen family.
    Also if you google "eighteen family reading" you will see there is a solicitor with that surname practising in Reading - maybe worth contacting her.
    Angelina

Comment

As any help given to James may involve living people, just a reminder that any names of people who are/or may be living should only be sent by Private Message to him.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up.

The Eighteen family board on Ancestry was in fact one of my first ports of call, and I've been in contact with Julie Williamson (the lady who runs the board) and Les Eighteen, a distant relative who lives in Reading. Both of their names pop up quite frequently when researching the Eighteen name.

Many thanks.

Comment

So, just to get back to Chrissie here and provide a little more backstory...

Recently I made contact with one of Vincent's granddaughters, the daughter of his son Leslie Vincent EIGHTEEN (1910 - 1984). I had also been trying to contact this lady's cousin Judith HONEY, but she informed me that Judith died a few years ago. Judith's mother was Dorothy Vera HONEY née EIGHTEEN (1909 - 1992). So, I am in touch with Leslie's daughter and have e-mailed her some information, and I was able to tell her (for example) where, when and of what her grandfather died, which she didn't know.

As far as I know, the following children died without issue: John Herbert, Thomas Edwin, Stanley James, John Bernard, Henry Thomas, William Arthur, and Nora Kathleen. Of the relatives I have spoken to, no one can remember Stanley or William ever having married.

I am in contact with the granddaughter of Vera Ellen Louise WELLMAN née EIGHTEEN (1899 - 1966) who has e-mailed me some memories of her father and grandmother, as well as a couple of photos.

My grandfather was Sidney Ernest EIGHTEEN (1901 - 1965) and so I know the most about him and have always been in contact with his children. However, we still have gaps to fill in, such as exactly when he joined and left the Army and where (and why) he was travelling between 1937 and 1941, when he was in the Far East.

I am also in contact with the son of Maud Agnes LING née EIGHTEEN (1907 - 1982) who says he will contact me shortly with some information.

Finally, I am in contact with the son of Ruby Ellen SIMPKINS née EIGHTEEN (1911 - 1943) who says he remembers Vera, Maud, Bill and Stan living in Reading when he was a boy, and vaguely remembers Sid coming down to visit them.

In particular, I am interested in tracing the family of the younger Frederick Syer EIGHTEEN (1886/7 - 1938) as I have not yet been able to establish contact with anyone from his branch of the family, despite my best efforts.

If anyone can help with regards to any of these individuals and their families, please let me know. If you know of a living relative of any of these people, feel free to send me a PM.

Comment

Working...
          X