Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing grandfather from Pennsylvania

Hi all, I am new!

I am DESPERATELY looking for information on my new found grandfather. From my mother`s birth certificate, I know his name was name removed AGED 23 (AS OF JANUARY 29, 1941) BORN IN PHILADELPHIA COUNTY. Also from what I have hear, he basically ditched my grandmother after my mother`s birth and was never heard from again. I would not be surprised if he got married and had other kids. I have been doing family history for two years and searching for James for almost a year with NO RESULTS. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. (By the way, my grandmothers name was Leona Fennessy, who later married Allen Knight.)

Thank you!
    -Schube424

Sorry, but the names have been removed/edited as they are very possibly still living.

From our Terms and Conditions:
    DO NOT post any identifying details of living people either in forum posts or on our names database. Such posts will be amended by the moderators without warning and further action may be taken as per our abuse policy. When moderating we use a cut-off date of anyone who was born after 1915 or who married after 1935, without confirmation of death.
    Last edited by Caroline; 16-08-15, 18:08. Reason: Edit/removal of names

My grandmother is dead, her name was Leona Fennessy, she later married Allen Knight, who is dead, and name removed was my grandfathers name and I have found multiple death matches in different databases that I believe could be/are him so yes he is dead

I will take your word about your grandmother and her husband so have reinstated their names but from what you say in your first post you don't have proof positive since you don't know what happened to him, so I have removed his name again.
    Last edited by Caroline; 16-08-15, 20:02. Reason: Name removed again

Comment

Please tell us where you've looked for him? Given your mother was born in 1941, they were probably together in the 1940 census? Do you know if your grandmother actually divorced him (or vice versa), or did she believe he was dead, and she simply remarried?

If you've researched for two years, you've probably already covered the usual resources!

Comment

Just to give some dates to help

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name Leona A Fennessy Knight
        Maiden Name Fennessy
        Event Type Burial
        Event Date 2001
        Event Place Fernwood, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States of America
        Photograph Included Yes
        Birth Date 09 Jul 1922
        Death Date 24 Sep 2001
        Affiliate Record Identifier 118110552
        Cemetery Fernwood Cemetery

obit for reference as lots of names too

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

marriage

Name Knight
        Spouse's Name Leona A Fennessy
        Event Year 1945
        License Number
        Last edited by Elaine; 16-08-15, 20:29.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

J and her were not together-it was sort of a one night thing and he shows up to sign the certificate............ I wish I could be more helpful
          Last edited by Caroline; 17-08-15, 07:26. Reason: Name edited ....

Comment

I looked for any C families even in the censuses near her but with no avail. Maybe more years of searching will yield me something
            Last edited by Caroline; 17-08-15, 07:26. Reason: Name edited

Comment

Have you found her in the 1940? I found her on FS in the 1930, but nothing for her in FS or Ancestry for the 1940.

Comment

Her father, Thomas, in the 1940, in the Seaman's Church Institute, widowed, no family with him.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-08-15, 03:39. Reason: the link!

Comment

If you know where she was in the 1940, please give the link.

Another thought: Leona had two sibs - have you talked to their descendants, maybe there's a family story?

Another thought: AncestryDNA's test is on sale until midnight, EDT, 8/17/15. You may also want to look at dnaadoption.com if you go that route.

Comment

Not finding any of the three girls in the 1940. Any one else?

all deceased - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=126889888

Comment

I cannot find her or any of her siblings in the 1940 census, either. I think I may try out AncestryDNA to try and find some relatives......

Comment

Just for reference, for anyone searching - Leona with parents & siblings in 1930

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Helpers please note that there is an extensive current thread about this (with a lot of information found) on Ancestry.
                          (Google Leona Fennessy)

OC

Comment

Could this be elder sister Mary & husband in 1940?

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I found Mary I think 1940 but no clues last night as to the rest of the family,

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Do you have Leona's father's DC? I've not been successful in searches for Philadelphia obits, but if he has one, it might be interesting. What church did they attend? If you can determine that, the church might have records about the family - if they survive.

Getting into much more detailed research - Leona and younger sister might have been wards of the court, and assigned guardians or sent to an orphanage. If you can retrieve the records, it might be useful. I don't know how it worked, but their mother died during the Depression. Who knows what might have happened to the children if no one was able to help their father. Did either of Leona's parents have sibs, or parents that survived them? That might be a place to look for the two missing daughters - sometimes enumerators assumed the surname of all children in the house was the same as the head of the household. Looking at aunts and uncles in the 1940 might enable you to find her.

I've briefly read a thread on the A.com message board - I gather no one was able to find her in 1940. I think it is an important clue before you conclude that there was no one named C. in the area.
                                Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

And, again - finding descendants of the other two sibs might provide clues.

Good luck.

Comment

I am in touch with relatives and no one knows anything....I believe they must have been wards of the state/foster children for a short while. Their father died in 1951 (extreme alcoholic, drank himself into a stupor one night and was found dead in an alley) and their mother died in 1933.....they were probably on the streets.

Comment

He's in some sort of institution in the 1940. I don't know how you find out more. Hiring a competent researcher would be expensive.

FamilySearch has some sort of index of guardianship, but I don't really understand if it would have the information you're looking for:

You may request that it be loaned to your nearest Family History Center for a nominal fee.

How's your budget? If you're going to do DNA testing, you might get lucky right up front, and find a C-named cousin immediately. If not, then having those other-sib-descendants tested will help you define whether a match is coming from your maternal or your paternal side.

Comment

I will most likely do DNA testing to find a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx match.

Comment

One more thought
                                        there are "search angels" that help adoptees. you should be able connect thru dnaadoption (there's also a dnaadoption group at yahoo). anyway, they may be able to lend assistance to your quest.

Comment

Working...
                                        X