No announcement yet.

'Claybury'. Chalk Hill, Bushey, Herts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Claybury'. Chalk Hill, Bushey, Herts.

'Claybury' was the name of a big house in Chalk Hill, Bushey, Herts. on the 1911 census. It was demolished in the 1960's I believe. These days there is an area there named Claybury, right before Sparrow's Herne. Was this the land belonging to the house? Does anyone know what this area was in the late 30's till the big house was demolished please? Also, are there any records of this house and the inhabitants around that time?
    (sorry if this sounds a bit confusing) I had an ancestor who worked there in the late 30's/early 40's that I would like to trace.

Looking at old O/S maps, the house Claybury stood at the junction of Sparrows Herne and School Lane, not on Chalk Hill. There is now a road called Claybury, which has housing laid out on the site of the old house grounds.

For occupants, you should probably be looking at the electoral registers (@ Herts Archives).
    Last edited by AntonyM; 15-08-15, 15:34.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I replied to this earlier but it's not here! Wonder what I did with it!! :o

This should be Clay hill and not Chalk Hill. Sorry. I have an old photo of the house and it is marked Clay Hill.
      The electoral register is no use to me as she was under 21.
      Thankyou for replying AntonyM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayslass View Post
        I replied to this earlier but it's not here! Wonder what I did with it!! :o

This should be Clay hill and not Chalk Hill. Sorry. I have an old photo of the house and it is marked Clay Hill.
        The electoral register is no use to me as she was under 21.
        Thankyou for replying AntonyM.
        Is this connected to a thread on the sensitive board?
        Margaret

Comment

Yes Margaret. Thought there maybe an older person or domestic person still around who might be able to give a bit input.
          Bushey has quite a bit history, as do some of the older generations there.

Comment

Bushey has an award-winning museum with a strong local history interest: http://www.busheymuseum.org/

I really recommend that you contact them. This is the specific page, I imagine: http://www.busheymuseum.org/localstudies/

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Some googling picked up this link (List of Locally Important Buildings in Hertsmere 2008): https://www.hertsmere.gov.uk/Documen...Appendix-5.pdf
              Page 99 of 154 includes:
              8 Sparrows Herne, Bushey
              Brief description:
              House. Brick rendered two storey building with a gabled concrete tile roof and two end chimney stacks, located along the street within an area called Sparrows Herne between Bushey and Bushey Heath.
              Reason for nomination:
              Architectural significance
              It has a strong character typical of the early 19th century and retains some of its original features.
              Local historic interest
              The building is thought to date to the early 19th century (by 1840). The house is thought to have been the residence of the gardener at Claybury, a large house that formerly stood at the bottom of the hill at Sparrows Herne. No.8 stood at the southeast corner of its grounds beyond the group of former farm buildings, all since demolished. From c1890 to the early 20th century. Claybury was the residence of Ricardo Palmer, JP (Justice of the Peace).
              There's more info on p102, which refers to a specific wall, but gives more info about the house and its ownership:
              Claybury, a large house with farm buildings that formerly stood at the bottom of the hill at Sparrows Herne. The remainder of the wall dates to the 20th century. From c1890 to the early 20th century Claybury was the residence of Ricardo Palmer, JP
              And this link suggests that there is more info to be found:

"Index to the Victoria history of the county of Hertford"
              https://archive.org/stream/victoriah...e/178/mode/2up page 179 has the actual entry (which is very brief).

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-08-15, 22:56.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Great stuff Christine. Thankyou. Pity the old house is gone though.
                I will contact the museum. Thanks for the advice!

Curiousity... did you have a Lily among your fairly recent ancestors?

Comment

Great stuff Christine. Thankyou. Pity the old house is gone though.
                  I will contact the museum. Thanks for the advice!
                  Pleased to help: One of those occasions when local knowledge comes in handy!

Curiousity... did you have a Lily among your fairly recent ancestors?
                  I don't think I have a Lily amongst my recent ancestors... what makes you ask? (or am I being thick?)

C

Comment

Sent p.m.

Comment

Working...
                    X