Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - remove a Ancestry Family Tree as a citation source

Hi

I've just realised that I have managed to link to a wrong Ancestry family tree as a source citation. I have several other which are correct but one wrong one.

is there any way of removing this one tree without removing all the others as well?

Why would you use an Ancestry family tree as a source?? Are you sure the information is correct, you may just be compounding someone else's errors......also just because the "facts" may appear in twenty tree's does not make them correct, unless you find the SOURCE.
    Last edited by larkspur; 17-08-15, 14:16.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post
      Hi

is there any way of removing this one tree without removing all the others as well?
      Click on the link (from the list of Source Info, bottom r/h side of Profile screen)
      On the next page that comes up, find the one called "Ancestry Family Trees"
      Click on the words "Ancestry Family Trees" that are in italics
      Over towards the r/h side of the next page you should see "Delete Citation" next to the dustbin sign.
      Click on that and the link has gone ...

Hope this works!

STG

Edited to say: Not sure what happens if you've linked to more than one tree though.... :(
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 17-08-15, 16:10.
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by larkspur View Post
        Why would you use an Ancestry family tree as a source?? Are you sure the information is correct, you may just be compounding someone else's errors......also just because the "facts" may appear in twenty tree's does not make them correct, unless you find the SOURCE.
        I find it very useful, I have my own tree and two local history ones and some people appear on more than one tree so I can just copy my research from one to another.

Comment

Ok, that thought never occurred to me Jill! I was thinking dermot was just linking any old tree up there, with no facts checked out. I stand corrected

Comment

I understand your concerns larkspur but I am very careful about how I link to other trees - normally. I'll build my own set of facts about a person first and when I have exhausted that I then look at the other trees suggested by the Hints. If I find that another tree has the same set of facts as myself I normally accept the suggested link. If there are some minor variations in the facts I would perhaps accept the link. Anything that looks noticeably different I check out. It might be I have made an error and can therefore correct my entry. If I disagree with the entry in the other tree, I might still except the link to the other try (after all the tree creator is researching the same person as I am) but I do not allow their data to over write my data. If the suggusted link is clearly to a different person or to a tree that is just plainly wrong, then it is ignored.

I my case I had hints to about 10 other trees. I looked through them and could see that we were all looking at the same person and had obtained the same facts. Except for one tree but I inadvertantly tick it anyway. It is this link to this one tree that I am trying to remove.

I may have to remove them all and then see if I can add back in the ones I want.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post
              I understand your concerns larkspur but I am very careful about how I link to other trees - normally. I'll build my own set of facts about a person first and when I have exhausted that I then look at the other trees suggested by the Hints. If I find that another tree has the same set of facts as myself I normally accept the suggested link. If there are some minor variations in the facts I would perhaps accept the link. Anything that looks noticeably different I check out. It might be I have made an error and can therefore correct my entry. If I disagree with the entry in the other tree, I might still except the link to the other try (after all the tree creator is researching the same person as I am) but I do not allow their data to over write my data. If the suggusted link is clearly to a different person or to a tree that is just plainly wrong, then it is ignored.

I my case I had hints to about 10 other trees. I looked through them and could see that we were all looking at the same person and had obtained the same facts. Except for one tree but I inadvertantly tick it anyway. It is this link to this one tree that I am trying to remove.

I may have to remove them all and then see if I can add back in the ones I want.
              If you've still got the relevant ancestry page in your browser history I would go back to that and resave - omitting the tree you no longer want, that will save you having to find them all again or making a noted and adding them manually.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
              X