Warehouseman, London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warehouseman, London

My g'g'g'grandfather reported in both the 1841 & 1851 censuses that he was a warehouseman. I was reading about Porters today, which mentioned warehouseman, and realized that I had not delved deeply enough into that occupation.

It appears that there was no Warehouseman Company (darn). So I doubt there are records available, but -

does anyone have any suggestions about researching this occupation?

Thanks!
    Sarah

I also have a warehouseman on my tree and have tried to find out more without success.

However, I don't think it necessarily means a porter as we would expect today (although I suppose sometimes it might). My warehouseman was quite comfortably off, and liked to describe himself as a gentleman (probably an exaggeration, but it shows how he saw himself). I suspect he was in charge of a warehouse rather than working on the floor.

Comment

Thanks, Lindsay.

The book about Porters that I was reading indicated that warehousemen and Porters were not the same, but they frequently interacted.

My warehouseman married the daughter of a Fishmonger - and she had relatives who were Porters (and some Fishmongers also seemed to have Porter in their list of occupations). Reading the book gave me insight about the interactions of the groups, and how my ancestors may have met each other.

My warehouseman was listed as such in the 1841 and 1851. After that, his occupation is vague, including "gentleman". I think he was probably unable to work. Shame they didn't have a guild.

Comment

My dictionary gives one definition of Warehouseman as someone who owns a repository. That would lead nicely on to him being a gentleman!

OC

Comment

In a thread long ago, I posted this ancestor's list of occupations. A wise person pointed out that the occupations that appear on various forms, but especially the occupation of father of the bride or groom, might be somewhat morphed from reality. He recommended looking at my ancestor's neighbors - do they have servants? What are their occupations? Can you tell if there are multiple families in a home or in a single building? That's when I started to realize that this family line had money trouble.

Comment

Working...
          X