I hate Ancestry's 'new look' but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Ancestry's 'new look' but....

I've just found the UK place images they've added - Francis Frith I think. Some 'wasted' hours browsing in the offing! However -just in case any Ancestry bigwig reads this - I still think their new look is unnecessary twaddle - whoever it's for.

Not tried the new look on Ancestry, but having read this post, don't think I will bother lol

Jan

Comment

I have just found myself 'bounced' into the new format, and I don't like it at all. It's unnecessarily 'fussy' and complicated in its layout. Anyone out there know how to get back to the previous format?

Angela

Comment

Hello Angela
        I had the same problem - followed the advice I was given on here - go to your username and access the drop-down menu, where there should be an option to return to 'old Ancestry'. You should then get a message 'Sorry to see you go' and a brief list of why you're leaving the new experience. I just said I prefer to select and write my own version of events.
        Hope that works
        Judith

Comment

I hate it too really hope they dont remove the old option

Comment

Judith, thank you for that information - I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking this new format, and yes, Val, I too hope the old option remains available!

Angela

Comment

I'm sorry to say that my ancestors didn't hail from anywhere that was, apparently, worthy of being photographed by Francis Frith :(
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Why on earth would Francis Frith be on Ancestry? I sent Francis Frith an enquiry about 5 years ago, and since that time they send me information on what they have every couple of weeks.

Janet

Comment

help my old search facility has gone , if this is going to be the way it is I wont be rejoining

Comment

It's annoying when Ancestry have "new" records that are available elsewhere online, like Francis Frith
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Val

If you think they are not going to change to the " Improved View " I am afraid you will be disappointed , Remember the Old Search , that vanished the same as this present view will vanish . They do not listen to the fare paying customers .

It has been rolled out in the USA , UK next , I wonder if it has reached Australia yet ?

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post
                        Val

It has been rolled out in the USA , UK next , I wonder if it has reached Australia yet ?

Ken
                        Yes it has. Canada was the last site to go as it took longer due to the dual languages. It is still optional across all sites although new subscribers don't have the menu option to switch and have to phone support instead. The go-live for the US (where the old view will no longer be available) has been delayed from the end of July while they work on some of the faults. No new date has yet been mentioned publicly, but it is only a matter of time.
                        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          help my old search facility has gone , if this is going to be the way it is I wont be rejoining
                          The only change to search in the new site is to the font and colour. The changes are to the tree view. What problem are you having with search Val ?
                          Rick

Comment

am fed up if its going to be permanent, I love it as it is, had enough problems when FMP changed, have managed to find the old search for now thanks.

Comment

I don't know if I clicked on something inadvertantly but suddenly my Ancestry has changed to the new look mid session. And my immediate thought was why am I being presented with something that a 5 year old would find 'screen friendly'. The look is unappealing and to me unfriendly (and I can remeber computers before Windows came along!!!) I do not need a narrative added into the timeline of an individual about what the other family memebers where doing (birth, death marriage etc). I just want the facts about the person I am deal with.

I really hope ancestry a getting an earful about this piece of ..............!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post
                                I don't know if I clicked on something inadvertantly but suddenly my Ancestry has changed to the new look mid session. And my immediate thought was why am I being presented with something that a 5 year old would find 'screen friendly'. The look is unappealing and to me unfriendly (and I can remeber computers before Windows came along!!!) I do not need a narrative added into the timeline of an individual about what the other family memebers where doing (birth, death marriage etc). I just want the facts about the person I am deal with.

I really hope ancestry a getting an earful about this piece of ..............!!!!!
                                You can turn off the extra stuff (it works for every tree then) by clicking the cog and hiding Family Events and Historical Insights.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for that Caroline. Also just found I could swith back to the classic view. Might try swapping back and forth to get a good feel as to how they compare. But still think the new look has a childishness to it

Comment

thanks for that tip Caroline I hadn't realised you could do that, think like dermot I might try both to see how I get on.

Comment

Working...
                                    X