PDA

View Full Version : The " New Improved Ancestry " Ha Ha .

kenw55
12-08-15, 13:50
Has anybody else had a look at Ancestrys “ New Improved Ancestry “ It looks like they have been taken over by the Monster Raving Loony Party .
I had a quick look and can see problems , they are adding a lot of WRONG info .
The 3 examples below ( My G Grandmother and her Brother ) are just the tip of the iceberg , the first lines were added by Ancestry and the second is what is in my tree .

Birth
Kate Phillips was born on March 21, 1872, in Newport, Wales to Pamela Elizabeth Williams, age 36, and James Phillips, age 43.

21 MAR 1872 • Cross Lanes Locks Corner Newport Isle of Wight Hampshire

Marriage
Kate Phillips married Sidney Parsons on May 28, 1892, in Newport, Wales, when she was 20 years old.
Sidney Parsons
1870–1933
28 MAY 1892 • Wesleyan Chapel Pyle Street Newport Isle of Wight

Walter Phillips, Brother of Kate Phillips
Death
Walter Phillips died on August 6, 1915, in Ridge, New York, when he was 50 years old.
6 Aug 1915 • Lone Pine Ridge Gallipoli

Ken

Olde Crone Holden
12-08-15, 13:56
Ken

I think it has always been the case that Ancestry defaults to USA place names if you don't enter the country.

OC

WendyPusey
12-08-15, 13:57
Yes I found a load of my Isle of Wight ancestors suddenly becoming Welsh!!

kenw55
12-08-15, 14:06
It is only with their " Improved " that this is happening , I have a lot of people on the Isle of Wight and up to now an entry " Newport Isle of Wight" has been ok .

So has anybody else looked at the "New Improved Ancestry" ? which was my original question .

Ken

PhotoFamily
12-08-15, 14:22
Besides the usual frustration of - where did they put <xyz>, I find the narrative confusing. If you want a story - write it. But ancestry has an accumulation of facts/events, not a story. The birth events of children and sibs makes the list of events on the timeline very long. And, since I had already done it for a couple of ancestors, it will be confusing (I did it for the parents only, listing occupation and address. Ancestry does not have occupation).

So, they've informed me that I will be losing "old" ancestry, but I'm staying where I am till then!

Wurding
12-08-15, 14:53
Or canada! the city of London defaults as London, Ontario unoless you write ENGLAND!

Heather Positive Thinker
12-08-15, 15:01
PLEASE - can anyone tell me how we get the simple of old overview when we want to add or edit a person? I cant seem to get it - just the mad new tree with the little stories that are wrong :(

Also, can anyone explain how the DNA people maps work? I keep getting these very or extremely high matches. Cant see any matching names (lots of them only have a few generation of direct people anyway) and then I think, ah the map to show if any of my locations match with theirs. But when I look at the world map my little balloons seem to be all over the place and so do theirs and in the wrong places anyway.

Caroline
12-08-15, 15:06
There is a lot of discussion about the locations issue on their FB Page. It is being sorted.

https://www.facebook.com/AncestryUK?fref=ts
:)

Yes, I've "used" it, I generally don't look at the trees unless like today I was looking to see what other people have got. I did spot that my great grandmother seemed to have died in Essex County, New Jersey (she died in Walthamstow) - I guess a fault of the site rather than the tree owner.

Caroline
12-08-15, 15:09
PLEASE - can anyone tell me how we get the simple of old overview when we want to add or edit a person? I cant seem to get it - just the mad new tree with the little stories that are wrong :(

You double click on the person on the tree, then choose Profile and then you should see an Edit box for the item you want to alter - that's what I did anyway. :0

Jill on the A272
12-08-15, 15:10
Heather, I think if you click on your username there will be a menu where you can get back to the calm version. I dabbled the other day but found there were too many distractions, I don't really need to know there was a heatwave in 1911.

Caroline
12-08-15, 15:16
I explored a bit more and here is a link to the old version: http://home.ancestry.co.uk/NewAncestry/Leave

As they are going to eventually get rid of the Old Ancestry, I guess the best bet is to stick with the new.

UPDATE: I see Jill beat me to it with the link.

Heather Positive Thinker
12-08-15, 15:23
Oh many thanks, I will have a go at double clicking. I was going bananas last night not able to do something really simple on there.

Lensgirl
12-08-15, 15:32
I also don't like that the hints on the top right are no longer drop downs, and it takes about 10 clicks to get it to do anything!

kenw55
12-08-15, 17:14
From what I have read the changes are to make the site more friendly to Mobile Phones.
Somebody posted and said , so this is to make it easier when you are doing your searching whilst waiting in the queue at the supermarket , so the rest of us have to suffer .

Ken

Rick
12-08-15, 20:30
I also don't like that the hints on the top right are no longer drop downs, and it takes about 10 clicks to get it to do anything!

That's a bug - it isn't doing what it should. I reported it and they are getting the developers to look at it.

Val wish Id never started
12-08-15, 20:36
when you switched from the new to the old site and that box popped up asking what you thought ? did you ? I almost did:(

Rick
12-08-15, 20:50
when you switched from the new to the old site and that box popped up asking what you thought ? did you ? I almost did:(

I've gone to and fro several times and each time I leave feedback. On the whole I really like how the facts page works now and it's easy enough to completely ignore Life Story and switch off the silly clutter they have added (Historical Facts & Family Events). If they got rid of the huge grey mortuary slab at the top of the screen, reverted to rectangular profile photos and added the option to hide Life Story then I'd be happy.

Sue1
21-08-15, 18:58
I was in the middle of working on my Ancestry.co.UK! Tree when suddenly it all flickered and it came back in a completely different format. The life story bit is a joke - anyone born in MIDDLESEX now comes from Conneticut, USA. I am using a British site I thought - I foolishly thought UK stood for United Kingdom. Thank goodness my membership is about to expire - I don't even know how to use this "new improved" rubbish site any more.
Did we know this was going to happen because I missed out on the information somewhere because when I am on Ancestry I am working on the Tree.
As for the life story - I want to put on MY tree WHAT I WANT - I do not want ancestry contributing.

I feel like Victor Meldrew - "I DON'T BELIEVE IT"!

21-08-15, 22:16
I must say I am getting depressed with it tonight , records I could sort through in no time now takes ages.

Sue1
22-08-15, 09:01

I DID :sinister:

wr.
22-08-15, 09:06
Mine hasn't changed at all. Still on the old style for some reason - thank goodness, judging by what you are all saying.

Jill on the A272
22-08-15, 09:19
I'm going back and forward between the two, they both have their good and bad points. At the moment I'm looking at the map on the "Lifestory" page and tracking the bigamist who married my great aunt - he fled his first marriage for Australia, enlisted in WW1 and I'm entering all his locations from his military record up to the point where he deserted, so there are event markers all over Victoria Australia, Suez, Cairo, and in the UK Northumberland, Dorset, Paddington and Rustington.

Darksecretz
22-08-15, 09:19
Mine hasn't changed at all. Still on the old style for some reason - thank goodness, judging by what you are all saying.

I got an option across the top of the screen to 'try' the new version, I did have a go and then sent some feedback, it's ok and I can see why they are doing it BUT if it ain't broke don't fix it!..

I suspect that it'll be like most things, you will have two choices, like it or lump it.. either way you WILL have to get to grips with it as they WILL phase the old search out, of that you can be sure.

Jill on the A272
22-08-15, 09:23
Hmmm, baptism at Paddington, St Stephen shows up as being in Manchester, not London. Saved the Ancestry image and that's the location it saved on my tree as so I need to change that.

Darksecretz
22-08-15, 09:31
Hmmm, baptism at Paddington, St Stephen shows up as being in Manchester, not London. Saved the Ancestry image and that's the location it saved on my tree as so I need to change that.

are those on Ancestry now Jill? Pr's for St. Stephens? Padd [still looking for my William's baptism]

Jill on the A272
22-08-15, 09:58
They are here

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1558

Sue1
22-08-15, 10:19
Mine changed suddenly yesterday whilst I was adding to the Tree - that info was lost!
I cancelled my membership this morning - due to be renewed on 3.8.2015.
If your Tree does suddenly change to the new version you can change it back to the old version (at this time). Someone has put a link further back on here that you just click on.
When cancelling my membership I asked how long we can expect the old system to be available - they don't know at the moment - suspect it may be for quite a while until the wrinkles are ironed out.
Sue

Darksecretz
22-08-15, 11:53
They are here

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1558

ah rightio.. I still can't find Paddington in that set though.. :(

Elaine ..Spain
22-08-15, 12:09
ah rightio.. I still can't find Paddington in that set though.. :(
On the right hand side select Westminster as the borough, and then Paddington as the parish.
Very limited cover by the looks of it.

Elaine ..Spain
22-08-15, 12:09
.. sorry - select Westminster as borough, and then St Stephens Paddington as parish!

Sue1
22-08-15, 16:44
New Ancestry - becoming a bad word to me - see below the first bit in brackets was added by ancestry! - it is their "story":

(When William Douglas George Foster was born in 1917 in Southgate, Middlesex, his father, WILLIAM, was 37 and his mother, LIZZIE, was 33. He had three sisters. He died on December 23, 1917, in Andorra, within a year of his birth)

How on earth can they justify Southgate, Middlesex (which I have quite clearly for his death) becoming Andorra - they really do have a problem - and so do anc.co.uk members.

I have not given anyone access to my Tree to alter anything or add anything - makes a bit of a mockery of that. Sue

ozgirl
22-08-15, 16:56
What I don't like is on the .uk site for the new records listings the dates are in American format -i.e. 8/20/2015. I can just about cope with that for dates after 12th of each month, but when it is something like 3/4/2015 I immediately think 3rd April and not 4th Mar. I am still on old style, but this lot seems to have changed to new style and there is no way to change it back.

Darksecretz
22-08-15, 18:13
.. sorry - select Westminster as borough, and then St Stephens Paddington as parish!

ta Elaine, :)

vera2013
22-08-15, 18:56
I'm debating whether to go for the FMP offer if this is going to be so bad. Not using it currently for my tree and am still on the old version. Only use it for searches at the moment. Is that much different from previously. Sorry not picking up on that here. I can ignore the stories and added bits but not sure about the UK counties ending up as USA and that awful switch round for dob.

Vera

Rick
22-08-15, 19:55
I'm debating whether to go for the FMP offer if this is going to be so bad. Not using it currently for my tree and am still on the old version. Only use it for searches at the moment. Is that much different from previously. Sorry not picking up on that here. I can ignore the stories and added bits but not sure about the UK counties ending up as USA and that awful switch round for dob.

Vera

The Search functionality is completely unchanged between Old and New. Search has a new font colour and typeface, but that's it. All the change is in the tree-building part of the site.

Rick
22-08-15, 19:57
What I don't like is on the .uk site for the new records listings the dates are in American format -i.e. 8/20/2015. I can just about cope with that for dates after 12th of each month, but when it is something like 3/4/2015 I immediately think 3rd April and not 4th Mar. I am still on old style, but this lot seems to have changed to new style and there is no way to change it back.

I'm not seeing that on New or Old. Have you got an example ?

Rick
22-08-15, 20:00
New Ancestry - becoming a bad word to me - see below the first bit in brackets was added by ancestry! - it is their "story":

(When William Douglas George Foster was born in 1917 in Southgate, Middlesex, his father, WILLIAM, was 37 and his mother, LIZZIE, was 33. He had three sisters. He died on December 23, 1917, in Andorra, within a year of his birth)

How on earth can they justify Southgate, Middlesex (which I have quite clearly for his death) becoming Andorra - they really do have a problem - and so do anc.co.uk members.

I have not given anyone access to my Tree to alter anything or add anything - makes a bit of a mockery of that. Sue

What does it say in the Facts view for the place of death ? If it is Southgate, Middlesex then adding the country should fix Lifestory.

vera2013
22-08-15, 20:17
Thanks Rick. I will stick with my old friend then.

Vera

ozgirl
22-08-15, 22:06
I'm not seeing that on New or Old. Have you got an example ?

It's the recently added and updated listings available on home page. When you put the listings up all the dates are in American format, and the colour scheme is the new format.

22-08-15, 22:18
last night I had 97 hints for my tree today I only have 5??

Rick
22-08-15, 22:23
It's the recently added and updated listings available on home page. When you put the listings up all the dates are in American format, and the colour scheme is the new format.

So it is. Thankfully it is confined to that part of the site only so far as I can see. The rest of the Card Catalog is not in US format, even if they can't spell catalogue correctly :)

Edit - I'll post something on their FB page.

Rick
22-08-15, 22:42
last night I had 97 hints for my tree today I only have 5??

I have 6844 - would you like some of mine ? :rotfl:

They had server problems last night which might explain it.

22-08-15, 22:55
no thanks Rick ,hope you are checking them all out :rotfl: its no good I dont like it:bad:

Rick
22-08-15, 23:12
I never "process hints" as such, so the actual number of them doesn't bother me. I "walk" up and down my branches and work one person's profile at a time. If they have valid hints I accept them to save time searching.

There are quite a few things about the new site I really like (e.g. the Facts linked to their sources on one screen) and just a few I don't (circular photos are very silly). I have too much effort invested in my tree on there in terms of linked records to consider moving. I could get FTM and download it all but I got used to the new site very quickly really (the day after upgrading to Windows 10 - I'm a sucker for punishment !!).

22-08-15, 23:22
I find most of the hints are completely useless anyway. I do have FTM but prefer to download records to my tree on Ancestry.

Rick
22-08-15, 23:33
I'm obviously having more luck - maybe 50% are useful on average. When you get someone through the censuses it can be 100% (ignoring the tree hints of course).

PhotoFamily
23-08-15, 14:33
I find most of the hints are completely useless anyway.

My latest goal in life is to get as many ancestry hints as possible. the little bubble is now four digits - has anyone made it into the tens of thousands of accumulated hints?

Sue1
23-08-15, 14:56
Is the messaging service working on the new ancestry? It says I have 1 message but it won't open. Anyone successfully got a message? Old system still works for messages fortunately.

Caroline
23-08-15, 15:06
Is the messaging service working on the new ancestry? It says I have 1 message but it won't open. Anyone successfully got a message? Old system still works for messages fortunately.

Browser/tablet problem perhaps? I could only ever open messages over there in IE - Chrome and Forefox refused and just gave me empty pages but no problems at all with Firefox now.

23-08-15, 17:09
thats interesting Caroline as I have found chrome wont open pages on there at all ?

Caroline
23-08-15, 17:16
thats interesting Caroline as I have found chrome wont open pages on there at all ?

I gave up using chrome on there ages ago - but when Windows 10 came out, they had an announcment up that it wouldn't work at all with Chrome. Not sure if they have fixed that.

Bo the Bodger
27-08-15, 22:59
I have moved over to the new - and I'm sure I will get used to it but one thing which is really bugging me about the life story bit is - it continues after the person has died and you've buried them! Which frankly is ridiculous - if mrs Jones dies in 1878 and she has been married 33 yrs and her husband dies in 1890 - they have not been married 45years - she has been dead for 12yrs! Life stories - and I think the clue is in the word LIFE - should cease with death/burial. Rant over :)

28-08-15, 00:32
so true Bo it drives me mad ,wish they would leave things alone.

john.nicholls
04-09-15, 18:23
I hate it i wished we could go back to old format which ive been used to for the last 5 years,you get used to doing things in a certain way then all of a sudden with no notice to the paying customer they go and change the whole design, thinking about restarting tree back onto myheritage (probaly not a good idea ) but i am so annoyed at these damm people.

TrevorFranklin
04-09-15, 18:57
Click on the dropdown triangle to the right of your ID name
Select 'Old Ancestry' from the list and you are reset to the old layout etc

Ancestry video showing how the new system works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C01xD4jfVE

Latest updates/changes based on user feedback
https://youtu.be/tIF2j_lZUnA?t=8m10s

PhotoFamily
04-09-15, 19:04
and I think the clue is in the word LIFE - should cease with death/burial.

Family Historian distinguishes attributes & events that occur during a lifetime (e.g., birth, marriage, military service) and those which may occur after death (e.g., posthumous awards).

I've added "events" that recognize a person after their lifetime because I was building a trail of evidence to common ancestry. They were (almost?) all marriage events where that person was named as a parent (with occupation) of the bride or groom.

But yes, the "life story" Ancestry creates isn't! It's a summary of the facts you've posted in the tree. A story would tell you about the person, their interests, their work and family life, etc.

Pookie
07-09-15, 23:38
Having read through all six pages of this thread I'm just glad that a) my computer doesn't seemed to have changed anything without me doing anything b) I know what to do should it happen!
So thanks for all the comments - it would appear 'avoid at all costs!!'
had they ever actually mentioned anywhere, any time that there was a new look being sprung on us?

I didnt like the FMP new set up when it arrived but now I find it very user friendly. I've also found their webinars extremely good, lots of little hints and full of information. Has anyone else listened to them? I know this thread is about Ancestry's queries but thought I'd ask anyway?!
Pookie

Rick
08-09-15, 00:26
Having read through all six pages of this thread I'm just glad that a) my computer doesn't seemed to have changed anything without me doing anything b) I know what to do should it happen!
So thanks for all the comments - it would appear 'avoid at all costs!!'
had they ever actually mentioned anywhere, any time that there was a new look being sprung on us?

I didnt like the FMP new set up when it arrived but now I find it very user friendly. I've also found their webinars extremely good, lots of little hints and full of information. Has anyone else listened to them? I know this thread is about Ancestry's queries but thought I'd ask anyway?!
Pookie

To me it is on balance a huge improvement, so I wouldn't agree with the "avoid at all costs" comment. One or two things are not working yet, but they will fix that. One or two things are visually unappealing to me, but I can live with that. There are noticeable improvements in speed and functionality. Some excellent new features (particularly in sourcing of facts) and the somewhat dodgy, unnecessary, but ignorable Lifestory. And yes they have been telling us it is coming for months.

Karamazov
08-09-15, 09:20
To me it is on balance a huge improvement, so I wouldn't agree with the "avoid at all costs" comment. One or two things are not working yet, but they will fix that. One or two things are visually unappealing to me, but I can live with that. There are noticeable improvements in speed and functionality. Some excellent new features (particularly in sourcing of facts) and the somewhat dodgy, unnecessary, but ignorable Lifestory. And yes they have been telling us it is coming for months.

I agree with Rick re the excellent and very clear linkage between facts and citations, and vice versa. Lifestory doesn't really add anything but is ignorable - I just stick to the Facts tab. I also like the births and deaths of later siblings being included in the facts.
There are some annoyances. The search the web option no longer seems to be available. I found this useful for quick web searches for people with unusual names, or who played a prominent part in public life, or who were military/ gentry/aristocracy. Ancestry automatically did the search using different combos/orders of first and surnames and included and/or options. Now there only seems to be the search within ancestry option.
Another irritation - although this came out of nowhere and happened before the new look - is that comments are now restricted to 1250 characters (down from 5000). I used to cut and paste online obituaries or newspaper articles into comments but now find there often isn't enough space.
When using the iPad, there is an irritating and useless sidebar about search strength and whether I am guessing. I'd much rather have the record categories showing there instead. Thankfully this sidebar doesn't appear when I use the PC.

However, overall, the irritations are relatively minor compared with the improvements...
Christine

PhotoFamily
16-10-15, 19:34
One old feature that I haven't been able to make work in the new:
** I haven't been able to correct mistranscriptions **

Is it just me? I've really found it useful in the past to find others who are researching the same records. I found a 4C1R that way, and connected with a woman doing research on 18th century lottery winners (seriously!) who was able to answer a question about the family.

Karamazov
16-10-15, 22:16
One old feature that I haven't been able to make work in the new:
** I haven't been able to correct mistranscriptions **

Is it just me? I've really found it useful in the past to find others who are researching the same records. I found a 4C1R that way, and connected with a woman doing research on 18th century lottery winners (seriously!) who was able to answer a question about the family.

When you find a record with an associated image, you have two options: view image or view record. Even though it looks like you are already viewing the record/transcription, click on View Record. You will then see an option on the left where you can add alternate information.

Christine

PhotoFamily
16-10-15, 23:22
When you find a record with an associated image, you have two options: view image or view record. Even though it looks like you are already viewing the record/transcription, click on View Record. You will then see an option on the left where you can add alternate information. Christine

OK, got it. But you can't change it on the index line as you used to be able to do, which was more convenient - you could look at the image while you entered the correction. Also strange: you can change some fields - the record I looked at allowed you to change house number and family number from the index. Weird.

Caroline
17-10-15, 09:45
The changes have spurred me on to tidy up some of my recording of locations which was rather sloppy really - I knew they were in England, but of course their algorithm doesn't always realise that and I had location pins all over the world - my fault and not theirs!!!! I also found that sometimes I had put the name of a vessel in the place instead of the address. I have been right through and every place is correctly entered now as town/village/hamlet, county/state, country - with commas if I don't know the town and/or county. Of course having my master tree offline made it a lot easier and a good reason for not having your tree only online.

Anne in Carlisle
17-10-15, 10:18
Caroline, I know you use FH. Just for my own interest, did you "go right through every place" in the list of places on FH, rather than every single person? I, like you have some rather random names and often several names for what is meant to be the same place.
Does Ancestry accept Chapman county codes eg YKS or BKM? Or do you have to have every county name in full? What happens with a tiny hamlet? What happens with a Registration District?

I have not yet put any trees on Ancestry but am hoping to do so soon when I have them in the best condition!
Anne

Caroline
17-10-15, 10:32
Caroline, I know you use FH. Just for my own interest, did you "go right through every place" in the list of places on FH, rather than every single person? I, like you have some rather random names and often several names for what is meant to be the same place.
Does Ancestry accept Chapman county codes eg YKS or BKM? Or do you have to have every county name in full? What happens with a tiny hamlet? What happens with a Registration District?

I have not yet put any trees on Ancestry but am hoping to do so soon when I have them in the best condition!
Anne

I didn't use the list of places as I couldn't see how to change anything through that, so I used an unknown person and went in through their Place of Birth, more, Edit etc.. It seemed safer than doing it by queries or anything else. FH is not here on the laptop so I can add more if you need it. I did have ,England in the clipboard which saved some time. I also checked spellings as I went through. I merged the wonky spellings and inconsistent entries at the same time. It took ages and I had RSI from all the double clicking but I was well pleased when I had finished.

UPDATE:
Select an individual record.
Born in - Double click on the three dots > More > Edit > Double click on the three dots on Place: and you get the box for Edit Place Name.
If you only know Country then put ,,USA. Only county then ,Sussex, England or else Arundel, Sussex, England. Then they all line up nicely and you can see which ones you still have to do as well as helping spot inconsistencies/typos etc. Then Click OK then Close.
If you want to see where they are used, you can click on Where used before you Close - I found this handy when I had the name of ship for example and then I could sort it through the record itself.
Repeat .....

For Registration districts I put for example, Fenland (R), Cambridgeshire, England - Ancestry didn't find that one, I wouldn't expect it to, but it finds them if they are the name of a place. e.g. Amesbury (R). I've only ever used county names so I don't know what it (Ancestry) does with Chapman codes.

Elaine ..Spain
17-10-15, 11:59
Thanks for the FH instructions Caroline - am thinking I might have to "tidy" mine up as well. The only thing that is putting me off is the extra long place name that will appear should I want to print out charts. I normally include the place alongside dates of birth/marriage/death - if it's going to show England after each one I can see the box sizes getting bigger and bigger! :(

Anne in Carlisle
17-10-15, 12:33
Elaine, I suspect there will be a way in FH of leaving that out on charts and diagrams. The experts on The User Group will know and could probably write you a plugin! (Never used on of those myself yet!)

Thanks Caroline. I can see some work ahead!!!
Anne

Caroline
17-10-15, 12:54
Thanks for the FH instructions Caroline - am thinking I might have to "tidy" mine up as well. The only thing that is putting me off is the extra long place name that will appear should I want to print out charts. I normally include the place alongside dates of birth/marriage/death - if it's going to show England after each one I can see the box sizes getting bigger and bigger! :(

You can do quite a lot with text schemes under Options in FH for customising your trees/charts - you should be able to miss out country.

Elaine ..Spain
17-10-15, 12:58
You can do quite a lot with text schemes under Options in FH for customising your trees/charts - you should be able to miss out country.
Thanks Caroline ... I really need some spare time to see what FH can do! :)

Caroline
17-10-15, 13:10

Had a quick look - you can select Short which is just town name, Medium adds the County and the Tidy and Full adds the country. :)

Elaine ..Spain
17-10-15, 13:36
Had a quick look - you can select Short which is just town name, Medium adds the County and the Tidy and Full adds the country. :)
That's great. Thanks.

PhotoFamily
17-10-15, 15:34

Elaine, have you switched to FH? I thought you were an FTM user!

PhotoFamily
17-10-15, 15:46
I didn't use the list of places as I couldn't see how to change anything through that, so I used an unknown person and went in through their Place of Birth, more, Edit etc.. It seemed safer than doing it by queries or anything else.

I'm still using FH 5.0.7, so I'm not sure if this will work with latest version, but, when I did some place clean up quite a while ago, I did it using Tools => Work with Data =>Places, That gives you a list of all places (and FH distinguishes between addresses and places).

You may then click on an individual place, then "Records" if you want to verify that all records using that instance are indeed referring to the same place. Then you can either double click to edit that particular place, or "Replace with" to select another place to merge it into.

Caroline
17-10-15, 17:04
I'm still using FH 5.0.7, so I'm not sure if this will work with latest version, but, when I did some place clean up quite a while ago, I did it using Tools => Work with Data =>Places, That gives you a list of all places (and FH distinguishes between addresses and places).

You may then click on an individual place, then "Records" if you want to verify that all records using that instance are indeed referring to the same place. Then you can either double click to edit that particular place, or "Replace with" to select another place to merge it into.

It does still work in V6 - I wonder why I couldn't make it work before!!! :rotfl: (I know why - I tried to go through the Places tab ....... shame it doesn't reduce the clicking from my way round though. :( )

Elaine ..Spain
17-10-15, 19:53
Elaine, have you switched to FH? I thought you were an FTM user!
I'm trying to be a FH user - very much a learner at the moment but hopefully will get there .. eventually.

PhotoFamily
18-10-15, 04:55
I'm trying to be a FH user - very much a learner at the moment but hopefully will get there .. eventually.

I tore my hair out to begin with, but I'm very happy with FH now. And using Ancestral Sources to make the data entry easier. I feel much more in control with the way my sources are stored, as well as tying then to the record scans that I have.