The " New Improved Ancestry " Ha Ha .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The " New Improved Ancestry " Ha Ha .

Has anybody else had a look at Ancestrys “ New Improved Ancestry “ It looks like they have been taken over by the Monster Raving Loony Party .
    I had a quick look and can see problems , they are adding a lot of WRONG info .
    The 3 examples below ( My G Grandmother and her Brother ) are just the tip of the iceberg , the first lines were added by Ancestry and the second is what is in my tree .

Birth
    Kate Phillips was born on March 21, 1872, in Newport, Wales to Pamela Elizabeth Williams, age 36, and James Phillips, age 43.

21 MAR 1872 • Cross Lanes Locks Corner Newport Isle of Wight Hampshire

Marriage
    Kate Phillips married Sidney Parsons on May 28, 1892, in Newport, Wales, when she was 20 years old.
    Sidney Parsons
    1870–1933
    28 MAY 1892 • Wesleyan Chapel Pyle Street Newport Isle of Wight

Walter Phillips, Brother of Kate Phillips
    Death
    Walter Phillips died on August 6, 1915, in Ridge, New York, when he was 50 years old.
    6 Aug 1915 • Lone Pine Ridge Gallipoli

Ken

Ken

I think it has always been the case that Ancestry defaults to USA place names if you don't enter the country.

OC

Comment

Yes I found a load of my Isle of Wight ancestors suddenly becoming Welsh!!
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It is only with their " Improved " that this is happening , I have a lot of people on the Isle of Wight and up to now an entry " Newport Isle of Wight" has been ok .

So has anybody else looked at the "New Improved Ancestry" ? which was my original question .

Ken

Comment

Besides the usual frustration of - where did they put <xyz>, I find the narrative confusing. If you want a story - write it. But ancestry has an accumulation of facts/events, not a story. The birth events of children and sibs makes the list of events on the timeline very long. And, since I had already done it for a couple of ancestors, it will be confusing (I did it for the parents only, listing occupation and address. Ancestry does not have occupation).

So, they've informed me that I will be losing "old" ancestry, but I'm staying where I am till then!

Comment

Or canada! the city of London defaults as London, Ontario unoless you write ENGLAND!
            Researching Ceylon Tea Planters and Lambeth lawyers. Work in Translation.

Comment

PLEASE - can anyone tell me how we get the simple of old overview when we want to add or edit a person? I cant seem to get it - just the mad new tree with the little stories that are wrong :(

Also, can anyone explain how the DNA people maps work? I keep getting these very or extremely high matches. Cant see any matching names (lots of them only have a few generation of direct people anyway) and then I think, ah the map to show if any of my locations match with theirs. But when I look at the world map my little balloons seem to be all over the place and so do theirs and in the wrong places anyway.

Comment

There is a lot of discussion about the locations issue on their FB Page. It is being sorted.

Ancestry, Лондон. Отметки "Нравится": 2 416 115 · Обсуждают: 837. Ancestry is the UK’s favourite family history website. If you need Customer Support, please contact 0800 404 97 23.

Yes, I've "used" it, I generally don't look at the trees unless like today I was looking to see what other people have got. I did spot that my great grandmother seemed to have died in Essex County, New Jersey (she died in Walthamstow) - I guess a fault of the site rather than the tree owner.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  PLEASE - can anyone tell me how we get the simple of old overview when we want to add or edit a person? I cant seem to get it - just the mad new tree with the little stories that are wrong :(
                  You double click on the person on the tree, then choose Profile and then you should see an Edit box for the item you want to alter - that's what I did anyway. :0
                  Caroline
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Heather, I think if you click on your username there will be a menu where you can get back to the calm version. I dabbled the other day but found there were too many distractions, I don't really need to know there was a heatwave in 1911.

Comment

I explored a bit more and here is a link to the old version: http://home.ancestry.co.uk/NewAncestry/Leave

As they are going to eventually get rid of the Old Ancestry, I guess the best bet is to stick with the new.

UPDATE: I see Jill beat me to it with the link.
                      Caroline

Comment

Oh many thanks, I will have a go at double clicking. I was going bananas last night not able to do something really simple on there.

Comment

I also don't like that the hints on the top right are no longer drop downs, and it takes about 10 clicks to get it to do anything!
                          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

From what I have read the changes are to make the site more friendly to Mobile Phones.
                            Somebody posted and said , so this is to make it easier when you are doing your searching whilst waiting in the queue at the supermarket , so the rest of us have to suffer .

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                              I also don't like that the hints on the top right are no longer drop downs, and it takes about 10 clicks to get it to do anything!
                              That's a bug - it isn't doing what it should. I reported it and they are getting the developers to look at it.
                              Last edited by Rick; 12-08-15, 20:31.
                              Rick

Comment

when you switched from the new to the old site and that box popped up asking what you thought ? did you ? I almost did:(

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  when you switched from the new to the old site and that box popped up asking what you thought ? did you ? I almost did:(
                                  I've gone to and fro several times and each time I leave feedback. On the whole I really like how the facts page works now and it's easy enough to completely ignore Life Story and switch off the silly clutter they have added (Historical Facts & Family Events). If they got rid of the huge grey mortuary slab at the top of the screen, reverted to rectangular profile photos and added the option to hide Life Story then I'd be happy.
                                  Rick

Comment

I was in the middle of working on my Ancestry.co.UK! Tree when suddenly it all flickered and it came back in a completely different format. The life story bit is a joke - anyone born in MIDDLESEX now comes from Conneticut, USA. I am using a British site I thought - I foolishly thought UK stood for United Kingdom. Thank goodness my membership is about to expire - I don't even know how to use this "new improved" rubbish site any more.
                                    Did we know this was going to happen because I missed out on the information somewhere because when I am on Ancestry I am working on the Tree.
                                    As for the life story - I want to put on MY tree WHAT I WANT - I do not want ancestry contributing.

I feel like Victor Meldrew - "I DON'T BELIEVE IT"!

Comment

I must say I am getting depressed with it tonight , records I could sort through in no time now takes ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        I DID

Comment

Working...
                                        X