Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering writing from Irish Records

Would be very grateful for any help with the attached from Irish Records:

Francis Cassidy - possible birth 17 or 18 December 1847 - Kilskeery Parish.jpg

Would be delighted if it said Francis s/o Thai Cassidy (I think that Thai may be an abbreviation used for Thomasai as there is not much room. I suspect that ?na or similar after Francis may be "son of" - possibly mother is Margaret but don't know for sure. Getting desperate here!
    I am sorry I cannot make the picture bigger - it came from 1847 Kilskeery Records - ?12 December 1847

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 08-08-15, 16:42. Reason: typos

Sue I just downloaded the attachment and it wont enlarge and is impossible to see it never mind decipher it

Sorry

Edna

Comment

FrancisCapture.jpg

Is this the one. Not seeing Cassidy.

looks like son of John Maguire and Margaret ????

This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 08-08-15, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
        Would be very grateful for any help with the attached from Irish Records:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17761[/ATTACH]

Would be delighted if it said Francis s/o Thai Cassidy (I think that Thai may be an abbreviation used for Thomasai as there is not much room. I suspect that ?na or similar after Francis may be "son of" - possibly mother is Margaret but don't know for sure. Getting desperate here!
        I am sorry I cannot make the picture bigger - it came from 1847 Kilskeery Records - ?12 December 1847

Sue
        Sorry to say it doesn't!
        This is the first set of NLI Catholic baptism records I've seen where (disappointingly) the parents' names are not recorded, just the sponsors. (I've pored through hundreds over the last couple of weeks!)
        I'm pretty certain it reads as: Francis McKai (must be a phonetic spelling of McKay) sponsors John Maguire and Margaret Do (meaning ditto - although I'm not sure whether this means ditto Maguire or ditto McKai.)
        It's definitely McK for the child's surname - I've become very used to that particular way of forming K amongst Catholic clergy...plus there are lots of other Mc formations on these pages.
        Christine

This is a direct link to the relevant page for anyone else who wants to take a look:
        This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

right hand side - 12th December
        Last edited by Karamazov; 08-08-15, 19:44.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Edna, Vera and Christine, Sorry it wasn't big enough to read - I also find these records a bit of a nightmare to read ...............However, on re-reading your enhanced views of it, it does look suspiciously UNLIKE Cassidy but the writing is appalling and your enhanced picture has shown me something I wasn't aware of - John M - the ?sponsor on the left IS I think John McQuaid - McQuaid is a relevant name to this family (Francis actually married a McQuaid eventually) BUT there are many, many, McQauids (spelt variously also).
          I think I am going to suggest that one of the Irish side of the family research the Cassidys and McQuaids and many others ...............bit beyond me I think. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
            This is a direct link to the relevant page for anyone else who wants to take a look:

right hand side - 12th December
            Oops - hopeless on left and right... The record Sue was interested in is on the left hand page, December 12th.

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
              John M - the ?sponsor on the left IS I think John McQuaid - McQuaid is a relevant name to this family (Francis actually married a McQuaid eventually) BUT there are many, many, McQauids (spelt variously also).
              Sue,
              If you are referring to the John who is the sponsor for Francis on 12th December, I really dont't thnk he is a McQuaid.

There are several other McQuaids on these two facing pages, and they are quite different from this one, which I think is Maguire. All the Mc names have a slight space after the Mc followed by a capital letter.

See also McQuaids on the right hand page on 18th Feb, 15 March and 20 May to see the difference between them and the sponsor on 12 December. A John McQuaid is however, a sponsor to Owen McQuaid on 20 May, on the right hand page. (I've got my lefts and rights the right way round this time!)

If you think this handwriting is bad, you should see the registers for Carn which are horrendous. They are also interspersed with pages from the priest's journal, recording the weather and the planting of potatoes etc. I just wish I could read them as they would make an interesting backdrop to the famine and post famine years in that area...
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 09-08-15, 00:10.
              Researching:

Comment

I have a couple of photocopies of original pages (before the above were published) - they would have made life quite difficult (if it hadn't been explained to me what the cause of the problem was) in that every single entry had a Cassidy in it ..................turned out the Priest was a Cassidy! (unrelated I assume)

I have been looking at the township of Makenny for info - suspect I might need to be looking at Drumbinnion which comes under Trillick.

Wonder if Specsavers can help with these translations? Sue
                Last edited by Sue1; 15-09-15, 15:41.

Comment

Sue1, by using the expansion feature on the I- pad the picture comes up as clear as a bell, but being somewhat circumspect I won't mention the legibility of the entry.

However I agree with post 4 and read the entry as

Francis McKai Mc..... And the underneath line as

John Maguire et Margaret do.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks All. I agree that the blown up picture (which is pretty clear) and does say exactly as David says above. Many thanks for opinions on that.

I have taken the easy way out - have given the link for the Irish records to the Irish side of the family who actually live there and are much more au fait with the places, let alone the names of their G. Grandfather's family. I am, however, intrigued by what Francis Cassidy may or may not have been up to!!! There is an entry (difficult to read) which shows a new child - quite a gap after previous children - the name of the mother of the child appears to be McQuaid (his wife was Honora aka Nottie McQuaid) but although the child is a McQuaid, the mother appears to be Marie McQuaid. Francis wife is still alive ..................and she is possibly in her mid-50s...............suspect possible error on someone's part ...........just not sure whose "error" it was!

Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 20-09-15, 14:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X