need help reading Irish record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help reading Irish record

Please would you have a look at the following and tell me what you think Mary's surname is. I do not know how to put the image on here, or even if it is possible! I have been looking at the records made available by the National Library of Ireland-registers.nli.ie
    Parish:- Kilbroney.
    Baptism-4th April 1836. Matthew son to Michael Feran and Mary ?????
    Marriage- 8th September 1831 Matthew Feran was married to Mary ??????
    Thank you to anyone who looks.
    Fran

Originally posted by fran View Post
    Please would you have a look at the following and tell me what you think Mary's surname is. I do not know how to put the image on here, or even if it is possible! I have been looking at the records made available by the National Library of Ireland - registers.nli.ie
    Parish:- Kilbroney.
    Baptism-4th April 1836. Matthew son to Michael Feran and Mary ?????
    Marriage- 8th September 1831 Matthew Feran was married to Mary ??????
    Thank you to anyone who looks.
    Fran
    Looking at the Baptism record, I notice that the sponsors (Godparents) include James FEENAN and Susan {same name as mother}... ?HUTTY - where the letter preceding "H" is indeterminate, but looks quite like "I".
    Interestingly, the bride's surname doesn't have the cross-strokes, so that the surname looks more like IHULLY.

It's not impossible that what I am interpreting as two separate letters is actually a single one: K. That would (in my opinion) make the most likely surname KULLY.

Christine

The site is Catholic Parish registers at the NLI.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-15, 17:19.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

8 Sep 1831Capture.PNG 18 SepCapture.PNG

I think its a K because there is a fairly obvious H on the page but either Keelly/Kelly or Kully

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17755[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17756[/ATTACH]

I think its a K because there is a fairly obvious H on the page but either Keelly/Kelly or Kully

Vera
        For the same reasons as Vera, I think it's an initial K but think the surname is Keelty.
        I did a bit of googling and Keelty and assorted variants such as Kielty seems to have been a reasonably common name in the parish. See for example Ros Davies's County Down website surnames http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....S/K/KibKim.htm
        If you Google Keelty Kilbroney you should get a Griffith Valuation result showing several Keeltys.

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you everyone.
          I have just found another example!
          Baptism, 24 July 1833. Ann of Michael Feran and Mary (ulty?)
          Fran

Comment

KeeltyCapture.PNG

I would say that is a ty at the end as Karamazov has suggested. Looks like Keilty to me

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 07-08-15, 22:05.

Comment

Thank you all. I will look for more examples, but at the moment it looks like Keilty.
              F

Comment

Working...
              X