Rose O'Shaughnessy - death 19 January 1886

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose O'Shaughnessy - death 19 January 1886

The above lady died in Dunwich Benevolent Asylum on 19 January 1886. Her maiden name was Kenny. I don't know her dob - husband was a Patrick O'Shaunessy - don't know his dob or death. If husband was deceased her nok would have been John O'Shaunessy b 1828 in Newry, Co. Down.
    She had emigrated with her husband and their son and his wife to Brisbane, Queensland from Newry, Co. Down, N. Ireland - date of arrival unknown.
    I have found a website that should allow me to search the records of Dunwich Benevolent Asylum online BUT this simple process seems to be quite beyond me

Please can anyone help? My brain can't get to grips with website.
    Website is: http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au...cedSearch.aspx

(PS I was allocated a number for the facility at some stage during my attempts at searching which was 861 in case it is useful - didn't work for me!)

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 03-08-15, 12:51. Reason: can't remember

That is a catalogue for the Queensland State Archives who do seem to hold relevant information, but it doesn't mean they are available to view on-line. You would need to visit the archives, or get someone to do it for you to examine the documents. The archives may offer a research service (usually charged for) or have a list of local researchers who can do the work for you.

861 is the reference number for the agency (the Dunwich Benevolent Asylum) that deposited the items.

This document is a guide to what you might find ... http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Resea...G26Dunwich.pdf
    Last edited by AntonyM; 03-08-15, 13:41.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony. No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere with the website!! Full marks for trying so hard though
      It is really not that important that I know about her - I just thought the info was available so I would have it!
      Fancy emigrating and ending up in a "home" poor thing. I had thought it was a Workhouse - am still not sure it isn't but she did die there. Sue

Comment

Hi Sue.

If you google the Dunwich Benevolent Society and look at the Queensland University site it was not a pleasant place to be, it was for the old and infirm to be kept out of sight.

Trove, images of Australian newspapers, has an entry of her death from The Queenslander 6 Feb 1886 which states she was a widow aged 83.

Tora

Comment

Sue, just for the heck of it I went to the Qld Archives shipping list. The only possible O'Shaughnessy people I could find arrived in Queensland 8 Oct 1873 on board the Indus - Maria age 22 married, Patrick child age 1 and Rosa 56 single.

Tora

Comment

Tora, Thank you so much for looking further at these poor souls. Have looked a website - how sad - is her name likely to be on there do you think.
            I know very little in many ways about them other than one person Rose Ann Murtagh b Bridge Street, Newry, Co. Down. Irish records are not easy to come by unfortunately.
            The people who emigrated i.e. Patrick and Rose Ann O'Shaunessy (nee Kenny) seem to be the ones you have found - the child was John O'Shaunessy born 1828 in Newry, Co. Down and died 12.4.1890 in Brisbane. He, John, married a Rose Ann Murtagh (1885 - 1902)I think - also from Bridge Street, Newry, Co. Down - that address is definite and until last year there was a Murtagh's Bar in Newry, Co. Down.

Rose Ann Murtagh and John O'Shaunessy married (no date) - there was a female child: Anna Maria O'Shaughnessy who died in 1942 in Brisbane............there are, however, variations on other Trees. Anna Maria O'Shaughnessy seems to have married a Peter McGuinness (no dates) in Australia Don't know when Peter McGuinness died but it appears Anna Maria McGuinness (nee O'Shaughnessy) remarried to a Jeremiah Callaghan in 1898. No knowledge of any offspring.

Very appreciative of your information. Sadly, I can't tell you any more - it is actually my husband's side of the family with the Murtaghs and he knows nothing about emigrees etc from this side of the family. Sue
            Last edited by Sue1; 04-08-15, 18:44.

Comment

Sue, did a little more looking at Australian Records. First on Trove from the Maryborough Chronicle Feb 1916 - There is a wedding announcement for Arthur James Godeby to Winnie McGuinness, third daughter of the late Peter McGuinness and step daughter of Mr J Callaghan (gave the bride away) late of Maryborough. One of the bridesmaids was Ellie Callaghan youngest sister of the bride.

Then I looked at the NSW shipping lists and found the arrival of John O'Shaughessy and his family. Arrived in Australia 9 Feb 1857 on board the "Parsee" - John O'Shaughnessy age 28 (b abt 1829) parents Pat & Rose living at Newry, labourer from Down, RC, can read and write, sister in Sydney - Rose, wife, age 27 parents Pat & Mary Murty(?) at Newry, cousin in Ipswich Qld - Catherine age 8 and Ann age 5 all born Newry.

Hope this helps a little.

Tora

Comment

Tora, That is absolutely fantastic - last night I did a bit of searching and found some of this family on several Trees (but not as much as you have given me here) and was able to piece them together BUT no provenance for it - you have just given me that. I really appreciate your help - the Irish side of the family is elusive to say the least. I hadn't realised any of this side of the family had emigrated. I suspect (Rose, wife, age 27 parents Pat & Mary Murty(?) ) - Roses mother was Mary Murtagh - that is a name that has continued through Bridge Street, Newry until last year - even my m-in-l was a Murtagh and born in Bridge Street.
                Again many thanks - that has been an enormous help to me. Sue

Comment

Sue, have looked at the index to shipping list on NSW records and there was a Patrick O'Shaughnessy infant who died on board, he was listed with the family but of course not on the arrival list. He is on ancestry original list of deaths on board, 24 children under 4 died on that voyage.

You can access NSW BDM and Qld BDM on line just google. Listed on NSW deaths is ANN O'Shaughnessy 1899 daughter of John and Rose A she died in Brisbane. It's on NSW as Qld was administrated by them at that time. Qld BDM have a marriage 1883 for Peter McGuinness and Annie, they had Margaret b 1884, Elizabeth Mary 1886, William John 1887 and Kathleen 1894. Peter d 1897 parent William McGuinness and Margaret McParland. Annie m Jeremiah listed as O'Callaghan in 1898. They had Honora May in 1899. On Rose O'Shaughnessy's death her parents are Michael Kenny and Mary McGavin.

I can find John's wife's death or births of any more children for them which seems very odd. Also can't find a death for Ann Callaghan nee O'Shaughnessy.

Tora

Comment

Hi Tora, That is very sad - I didn't know there was an infant Patrick. I found on ?Tova/?Trova last night a write up about the journey and arrival of the Parsee at ?Moreton Bay - sounds horrendous and presumably it was a sailing ship rather than steam - 87 days it took to get there. Will try and attach:
                    Arrival of the PARSEE - Official Negligence.
                    [Rose Ann Kenny and Patrick O'Shaughnessy and family had an 87 day sea voyage to Australia - 26 passengers, mostly children, died during the trip of Measles..]

From Australian Newspaper Article:
                    The emigrant ship Parsee arrived on 9th instant. 87 days from Southampton. Her living freight comprises 366 immigrants, among whom there are many who were formerly in the Crimean Army Work Corps. The voyage of this vessel has been somewhat unfortunate, measles having broken out on the passage and twenty six deaths having occurred. The last death took place about a fortnight before her arrival and in the other cases the victims were mostly children.
                    The health officer did not think the disease sufficiently virulent to place the ship in quarantine and the immigrants were brought up to town on Monday last. While noticing the arrival of this vessel, we cannot refrain from commenting about the culpable negligence of the officer whose duty it was to board the ship on her arrival.
                    The Parsee anchored in the Bay on Monday and there she lay until Wednesday without being boarded by the authorities. On that day Captain Thomas took a boat and came up to Brisbane and reported himself to the health officer and then had to row back to his ship the same night and did not reach her until four am on Thursday on account of the heavy rain and the darkness. The fact of the vessel having disease on board renders the matter all the worse and the case certainly demands the strictest investigation. The public safety demands either that more efficient officers should be appointed or that the Customs department should be at once removed to its proper station at the mouth of the river. Since the foregoing was written, Mr. Sheriden has called at our office and contradicted the correctness of the report. He states that he proceeded to the Bay on Monday and that when he came back in the evening no vessel was in sight. On Tuesday the captain of the Parsee reported his arrival to the Pearl, requesting the man in charge to acquaint the authorities of the ship's arrival. The man came up to Brisbane but neglected to report the Parsee and when Mr. Sheridan went down to the Bay on Wednesday morning he saw that vessel laying at the bar and immediately returned to report her to the health officer with whom he arranged to start for the ship on the following morning. In the meantime the captain came in and reported himself. This certainly explains the matter as far as Mr. Sheridan is concerned but the fact still remains that the vessel was lying forty-eight hours at her anchorage without being boarded. - Moreton Bay.

I didn't know about Patrick jnr. Also a little worried that there are 2 completely separate Patrick O'Shaughnessy's married to a Rose. Fortunately I have Rose Ann (no dob) with the surname Kenny but have no idea when Patrick, her husband was born or when he died. I wonder if Rose was a widow when she went with her family to Australia.
                    It appears from the names you give me that they remained very much within an Irish community after emigrating - I suppose that is understandable so far from home.
                    I read up about Dunwich Benevolent Asylum online - sounds horrendously grim. I also have a picture of the graveyard where she would have been buried. There is a website (can't remember what it is) that I looked at and they have a lot of the known names of those buried there including an Irish names section - their presence on the website would depend on whether the grave tags had been found - many haven't.

I am incredibly grateful to you for all this info - I would never have found it as I only have a UK membership.
                    Will have a look by googling as you suggest for NSW BDM and Qld BDM (shows how little I know, you wouldn't believe it took me a while to work out what Qld stood for!)

The above family are not the first emigrees to Australia from Bridge Street, Newry - have previously (with the help of an old newspaper cutting my mother-in-law kept) researched the Connors who went to live in Australia and found the head of the family was now "The Hon Francis Connor, living in Benger, Perth, Western Australia (think he was a member of the ?lower house) - it all ended badly, however, when his wife accidently caused him to shoot himself (he was cleaning his gun and had left a round in it - wife opened the door to tell him the RC priest had arrived and hit him with the door! Gun went off. Fortuitous arrival of the appropriate person I suspect. Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 06-08-15, 12:20.

Comment

Tora: Total disaster has struck - I found that there was no Murtagh right at the beginning of this search - the name was Murdoch! If this is correct, then, sadly, this family is not mine.
                      I will look into it further but, if you remember, there was someone whose name was not clear and I said it will be Murtagh if it is Bridge Street, Newry .......................serves me right but I am sorry you have done so much research on my behalf although I really don't want to take them off my Tree until I am 100% sure - have got quite fond of them. Sue

Comment

Sue,

Don't worry if their not your family. I really enjoy researching, would stop someone in the street and ask if I could do their family history if I had the nerve. They were an interesting family to look at. Let me know what you finally find and if I can help again.

Tora

Comment

Thanks Tora, I shall leave them where they are for the time being and look further at the beginning i.e. the time before they went to Australia. I hadn't realised O'Shaughnessy was such a common name!
                          Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X