Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudspith

Hi, my name is Kirsty.

I am searching for my great grandfather he was born in Northumberland in April (I think) 1889. His mum was Isabella Hetherington 1851-1889 and his dad was Edward Hudspith 1850-1929. My great grandfather was 1 of 8.

I have been searching for him for ages but I can not find any records. I am not sure if he was born Joseph Hudspith or Ernest Hudspith. On some records his surname has been mis-spelt for Huspeth. His marriage to Elizabeth Wright was in 1914 he was Ernest but in the Northumberland Fusiliers 1918 he was Private J Huspith (but his surname could have been mistaken for Hudspeth). My great grandfather was also in the Theatre Royal Norwich Amateur Operatic Society 'The Mikado' April 1932 he played Nanki Poo. I also can not find any death records for him but we know that he was not alive in 1944 as it is stated deceased on my grandparents marriage certificate.

If anyone has any information on him I am willing to share/swap.

Thanks.
    Georgia Mae Simeone

I am writing this on behalf of my mum.
    Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Was your grandmother under age when she married? If so, she may have fibbed and said her father was deceased - saved all the bother of trying to get his permission.

If that is a possibility then you might want to consider this death:

Ernest J Hudspith (71)
      June 1960 Acle 4b 366.

Right age, right name and initials.

OC

Comment

Hi Kirsty,
        Have you got the 1914 marriage certificate for Ernest and Elizabeth, to confirm groom's father's name AND occupation?

I found a Joseph Hudspith aged 2 in 1891 census, but his parents were John & Jane.
        There is also a 1891 census return for an Edward Hudspith born 1850, widower, with several children living with him, but the youngest is Isaac, aged 6 yrs.

What documentation have you found to confirm the generation links in your opening post? The Edward b1850 was living in Haltwhistle (near the western border of Northumberland, the John & Jane with 2 yr old Joseph were in the Tynemouth reg district (east coast) - do you have any place names in Northumberland for your family?

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-07-15, 14:02.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

1901 census for Haltwhistle has a Joseph Hudspith aged 11yrs with parents Robert & Elizabeth.
          The Edward Hudspith family of my previous post live nearby and there is an Ernest J aged 11 - wonder where this boy was in 1891? I'd better have another look!

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-07-15, 14:12.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1891 Haltwhistle - living next door to widowed Edward Hudspith was another Hudspith family; Robert, wife Elizabeth and 4 children, including 1yr old SON Joseph.
            I had wondered if Robert and Edward could have been brothers and if the youngest of Edward's children was with a relative in 1891?? But in 1901 Edward had son Ernest & Robert son Joseph, both boys aged 11!
            I think I shall have to limp off the thread with a headache!
            Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-07-15, 14:31.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The grooms father was called Edward Hudspith and he was a plate layer and he lived in West Jesmond. We think his mother Isabella died during child birth as she died in April 1889 which is when Joseph/Ernest was born. We also think he was living with an aunt and uncle perhaps which could have been John and Jane. Do you know John and janes surname?
              Last edited by georgiasimeone; 26-07-15, 14:26.
              Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasimeone View Post
                Hi, my name is Kirsty.

I am searching for my great grandfather he was born in Northumberland in April (I think) 1889. His mum was Isabella Hetherington 1851-1889 and his dad was Edward Hudspith 1850-1929. My great grandfather was 1 of 8.

I have been searching for him for ages but I can not find any records. I am not sure if he was born Joseph Hudspith or Ernest Hudspith. On some records his surname has been mis-spelt for Huspeth. His marriage to Elizabeth Wright was in 1914 he was Ernest but in the Northumberland Fusiliers 1918 he was Private J Huspith (but his surname could have been mistaken for Hudspeth). My great grandfather was also in the Theatre Royal Norwich Amateur Operatic Society 'The Mikado' April 1932 he played Nanki Poo. I also can not find any death records for him but we know that he was not alive in 1944 as it is stated deceased on my grandparents marriage certificate.

If anyone has any information on him I am willing to share/swap.

Thanks.
                How do you know Ernest/Joseph was born in 1889. Have you found him on a census at all with his parents? If so where and can you please give the reference or link?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasimeone View Post
                  The grooms father was called Edward Hudspith and he was a plate layer and he lived in West Jesmond. We think his mother Isabella died during child birth as she died in April 1889 which is when Joseph/Ernest was born. We also think he was living with an aunt and uncle perhaps which could have been John and Jane. Do you know John and janes surname?
                  We both posted at the same time - see my post before yours.
                  Both families (Edward & Robert) have an 11 yr old son with them in 1901 - one named Ernest, one named Joseph.
                  Who lived in West Jesmond? Is this Ernest at the time of his marriage, or Edward? Do you have the marriage cert?
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

We found him in the 1901 census in South View Haltwhistle he was on this census as Ernest J D and he was a son aged 11. This is him because his dad was Edward who was a widow and all of the children match.
                    Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

I replied to your post. We think Robert was Edwards brother so they may have been sharing the child care as Edward was a widow. So Joseph/Ernest could be the same person. Ernest got married in 1914 and yes I do have a marriage certificate for him. He was 24 when he got married.
                      Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Here are the census links, Margaret (see families of both Edward & Robert)

1901 census

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

What is Ernest's occupation on the marriage cert?
                          Is it Ernest who lived at West Jesmond?

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

His occupation was a clerk and his address at the time of marriage was in west Jesmond. I found him on a 1911 census living with his employer he was 21.
                            Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Ernest is visiting in 1911.
                              The head of household Arthur Davison is recorded as an employer, but he is a draper and works from home. Ernest works for a provision merchant so I'm not sure that Arthur was his employer.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

See my post #3.

there is no birth anywhere for an Ernest Joseph Hudsp*, so I personally would want to investigate that death as it is the correct age.

If Ernest was born in Haltwistle then he was registered as Joseph, no middle name. There were TWO Joseph Hudspiths registered a few pages apart Jiune 1889 Haltwistle 10b 325 and 10b 329 - this doesn't look like a duplicated entry. It make sense to call one Joseph and the other Ernest in everyday life as they will turn out to be cousins no doubt. A 50 year old Ernest dies that year - maybe Ernest was added at baptism to honour him.

Isabella Hudspith died June Q 1889 Haltwistle 10b 201, aged 36.

OC

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you. I think the best thing would be for me will be to order birth certificates for both Josephs. It's very confusing. So do you think both Josephs were related?

Thanks again.
                                  Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Here is the birth & bp record for Joseph, son of Robert & Elizabeth.
                                    In 1911, he lived with his widowed mother & was a shoemaker.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Robert & Elizabeth were Primitive Meth, Edward & Isabella Wesleyan Meth. However, familysearch.org has no bp for Joseph/Ernest s/o Edward & Isabella. The event may have been overlooked in the light of Isabella's death. However, where was he in 1891 census?

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't know where he was in 1891 as he would have only been 2! There is a Joseph Hudspith who lived with Jane and James Dolchin and Joseph was there nephew. So I'm thinking that maybe they looked after him as Edward was a widow and would've had to go to work. I do not know who Jane or James are.
                                        Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Working...
                                        X