Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oder of events in Ancestry

Hi

Is there a simple way of controlling the order that events on the same date appear in Ancestry. I normally allow Ancestry to create a Residence event from a census record and then manually add an occupation event based on the information in the census. The occupation record is dated the same as the residence event but in the timeline normally shows before the residence event. presumably based on alphabetical order. i would prefer it to show after the residence event. Is there any way to control this?

I have found that if I deleted the residence event and then add it again I can get the ordering correct but this is a bit log winded and awkard.

Cheers

Dermot

Whilst saving the census to my tree I add the address and occupation in the description box for the Census then it comes up as one item on the overview page.
    You can add other comments if you wish especially if they're residing with family of another name etc.

I also put comments in the description box for marriages - adding where they were living, occupation and witnesses. If unsure whether death I've added is correct - I make note - not confirmed.

Other thing is sometimes I death occurs in the same year as they were in a census but the death is recorded before the census on the overview page. This is because there's no month in the box - so to stop that happening you put the month in for the census and then the death with date on follows.

By doing this you're streamling the overview of the person and can see at a glance the info you have on them
    Last edited by JBee; 25-07-15, 17:49.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post
      Hi

Is there a simple way of controlling the order that events on the same date appear in Ancestry. I normally allow Ancestry to create a Residence event from a census record and then manually add an occupation event based on the information in the census. The occupation record is dated the same as the residence event but in the timeline normally shows before the residence event. presumably based on alphabetical order. i would prefer it to show after the residence event. Is there any way to control this?

I have found that if I deleted the residence event and then add it again I can get the ordering correct but this is a bit log winded and awkard.

Cheers

Dermot
      Why not simply put a date one day later than the census - if you are not already doing you can put the precise day of the census on the Residence record.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
      X