Help with a little LATIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a little LATIN

Any of you guys help me out with a little Latin?

What I know for a fact is: Patrick Brady married a Mary Chruthers on the 25th July 1864

But I'm wondering what the rest says, could it be witnesses?

And I'm also wondering if this is all one entry or, two separate weddings on the same day...

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.... mb

Not a Latin scholar, but I have been pouring over these records myself recently. I would say it was 'eodem die' in the margin, meaning 'on the same day'. 'In matr conj'.....possibly 'joined in matrimony'. 'Test' is probably 'testators' or witnesses. In other words, two weddings were performed on the same day.

I am happy to defer to real scholars :D

Beverley

Comment

It is two entries for separate weddings on the same day.

The extra bit is "testi" ....i.e. witnesses George Reynolds and Bridget Conlon.

Shame it doesn't say any more, RC marriages often give details of both parents and birthplaces as well.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick replies Macbev & AntonyM. it makes much more sense now and I did think it was too weddings but wasn't sure. You've named the witnesses too which brilliant, I was struggling with that text, really appreciate that .. is why I love putting these church entries on here, other people see things you simply don't, or can't as you go blind staring at it for too long

Could I trouble you's with one more? This time its a Baptism of a Ann Cavanagh, 25th September 1861. I know her mother was Catherine Cruthers and her father was John Cavanagh but again the additional text in the entry is a bit of a puzzle? I left the baptisms entries above and below as this sometimes helps decipher.. again many thanks in advance to anyone who can help, mb

Comment

25th In Gortacurca (place in Co Clare ?) B(aptised) Ann daughter of john Cavannagh and Catherine Cruthers spons ( i.e. sponsors/god parents) Edward and Elonora Cruthers
          Last edited by AntonyM; 24-07-15, 15:35.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
            25th In Gortacurca (place in Co Clare ?) B(aptised) Ann daughter of john Cavannagh and Catherine Cruthers spons ( i.e. sponsors/god parents) Edward and Elonora Cruthers
            I wondered whether "Gortacurca" might actually be "Gortacurea" - possibly meaning the parish of Gorta? ... that's on the basis that the priest is entrusted with "the cure of souls" in his/her parish... historically, 'his', of course. "Curia" would be a court of some kind - but it doesn't look as if that letter is dotted.

NOPE - you're right. I just googled "Gortacurca", and got a single 'hit". It's a townland in County Clare:
            [PDF]townland names of the county of clare. - Limerick.ie

www.limerickcity.ie/.../053%20vol%202.6%20Townlands%20Clare%20... [doubt that link will be complete]

Only four townlands arecalled after plants :--Gortacurca, translated. Oatfield ; Moanageenagh, from moss; Ardataggle, from rye; and R00, from rubha (rue).

C
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-07-15, 15:51.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It looks like something is dotted though Chrisitine, anything is possible when trying to decipher these old church records. Thanks for your replies, AntonyM,Christine, its already helped as I do my research behind the scenes..

I downloaded documents with connection to this baptism and did have Cloone, County Leitrim, Ireland as the location, but it never said anything about the witnesses so thats a bonus.

Thanks again for your help........my search goes on

mb

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                In my experience, Eleanor is much more likely to be a Latinisation of Ellen in Irish records.
                Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Could well be Ellen, or even Helen..........

Comment

Thank you all, I'll add those to my variants

Comment

Working...
                    X