Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needs tips on man who married more than once.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needs tips on man who married more than once.

Hi

Firstly I'm new and hoping Ive done this right. I'm happy I've found this site as I'm hoping someone can help me as Im not sure how I can find the information I'm looking for and feel like I've tried many searches. Im not even sure I can get a marriage certificate as I end up ordering wrong ones.

My grandad married my grandmother had 1 child who is my father they split not long after dsd was born as far as I'm aware he remarried and had other children. Not actually sure how true this may be it's just what I've been told I'm not sure how I am to go about looking for this other lady or their children as we do not have any names for them. Dad is not with us anymore so can not ask him we have found out who my grandfather's mum and dad is so I hoped this would help but I'm still no where closer.

I hoping someone could point me into the right direction.

Thanks kim.

hi and welcome ,providing the person you are enquiring about is dead you can put his or her name on here with any details you do know, am sure somebody will help you

Comment

Hi val

Thank you for replying. The only info I have is this.

Father- William maudsley born 1952 manchester area.

Grand mother- jean barton born 1931 ( I think ) manchester area.

Grandfather- ...............born 1922 manchester area

J and jean married 1951 in manchester area the marriage didn't last long and from what I've been told he remarried had other children when this was or who she is I have no idea.

I have j mother and father now thanks to a fellow relative. They are

Joseph maudsley and kathleen raymond think they married 1921 ( can not remember without having look)

Really do appreciate the help with any of this. Literally trying to find this is driving me round the bend.

Thanks kim.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-15, 10:51.

Comment

Wen did J die? The informant on the DC may be a family member.

In the 50s, it was normally five years before a divorce was granted, so I doubt he would have remarried before 1956. There is a marriage in 1956 to AN. You could send for this specifying his father's name.

Of course, he may not have been divorced - it was up to his wife to divorce him and she may not have bothered, it was very expensive. (And socially shaming). He may just have lived with someone.

OC
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-15, 10:52.

Comment

As you have posted the names Kim I assume you know when J and Jean died? Can you tell us where and when they died please.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-15, 10:52.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi

I seem to have confused myself somewhere and have no idea why I thought I was on the right track but somewhere I'm not.

Jean barton died 1990 presuming salford area as she was scattered at agecroft cemetery. She must have divorced as she married another man brian ward and went on to have 3 more children.

J on the other hand the lady who we found has not done any recent part to family tree as she could only give the info as joe did marry jean within the manchester area.

Only thing is I can not find a j who was born 1922 with a date of death. Yet there is a j m who was born 1926 died 1983.

I feel like I have no where to go with this as my dad didn't have much to do with his real dad so we know little and now dsd is not here I can not ask questions. Jean has passed and I seem to get different story's from fellow relations that just don't match.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-15, 10:53.

Comment

Well, unless you know otherwise, J could still be alive, there ar plenty of people still alive in their 90s (or so recently deceased you won't find the death on line).

Age at death is only as good as the informant's knowledge and can very often be wrong. If his new wife was a good bit younger than him, he could have shaved a few years off. People don't often lie about the day and month they were born though, so if the one in 1983 has a similar birth date, never mind the year, it could well be him.

I think you will have to order some certs. If you specify his father's name, at least you will rule out most of the wrong ones!

OC

Comment

Hi

So my best bet is to get the marriage certificate for j and jean it should state his birth date that way I know for sure I can ask the other lady if she has this if not I will order 1. It's so frustrating as I seem to be getting somewhere then something else crops up and throws me off totally. But I'm sure this is the whole point to family tree making .

Thanks kim.

Comment

His birth date won't be on the marriage cert. His age at marriage will, plus his father's name and occupation. His actual date of birth will be on his birth cert and on his death cert if he died after 1969.

Comment

Sorry Kim, but as we don’t know the date of death for your grandfather I have had to remove his name until we do. Then it can be reinstated.

Yes, the marriage certificate of your grandparent would be the best way forward. It won’t give you their actual birth dates but it will give their ages (as they told them). Of course sometimes people knocked off the odd year for various reasons, often because of the age difference. It will also give you the name and occupation of his father, which may help.

From the death of Jean it appears that she was born on 12th September 1931. Mothers maiden name Dawson.

If you come back and tell us when you have the details, remembering not to give his name until we have established that he has died, I’m sure we can help. It can be done by Private Message with anyone who offers to help.

Comment

Hi

Yes I totally understand and do appreciate the help given already.

Yes I came across jean barton born in that year to which is apprentice when she was born so it's a match, yet a relation did state that even tho jean was barton her mother and father name was Mr and Mrs nelson I put this down as maybe her mother remarried anything could of happened but I didn't want to start on that yet as I'm stuck with joseph at the minute.

Thank you soon as I find out I will let you know.

Thanks kim.

Comment

You may find this site useful: http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

It may prove useful to order from there (at about £10 - so slightly more expensive than GRO, but one step nearer the original and local offices can be quite helpful).

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know that you are giving Jean’s family a rest for now, but there is one possibility re Jean's Barton/Nelson puzzle that you might like to keep until you are ready. I stress that you would need certificates to find out though of course.

There is a marriage of a Nellie Dawson to a possible William Barton in Manchester North June 1930 and the birth of Jean in Sept 1931. A possible death of a William Barton in Manchester June 1939 aged 34. Then a marriage of a Nellie Barton to a Nelson in Manchester in Sept 1939.

Comment

Thanks christine

Will be ordering on Monday. My brother and sisters still live within manchester but I don't so they can be helpful to gather any other info I may need.

Thanks chrissie will keep that info as you said without certificates it's not solid I agree. Does sound about right though.

Have been talking to family and my dad has said that he was told his dad died in the 80s without him being here I don't know who gave him this info so I'm not getting ahead of myself as I did find a man with that name who was born 1926 died 1983 but like what is already found there was someone born in 1922 and like someone has mentioned he could of said he was younger when he met another lady.

Shall let you all know what the outcome is.

Thanks kim.

Comment

Hi again

Ok had the certificate through the post and by this j was 25 years old at marriage and jeat was 20 years old at marriage, now this makes j born 1926 which I have found and he died in 1983. His father's name is the same as j. Any other help please. Plus I'm not very good at reading the writing on there for profession

Many thanks kim.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmie89 View Post
                                Hi again

Ok had the certificate through the post and by this j was 25 years old at marriage and jeat was 20 years old at marriage, now this makes j born 1926 which I have found and he died in 1983. His father's name is the same as j. Any other help please. Plus I'm not very good at reading the writing on there for profession

Many thanks kim.
                                If you can scan the certificate part where the occupation is we can try and help read it for you. Don't do the whole cert as that is against copyright . You can attach it to a post on here or put it on photobucket and give us the link.
                                Margaret
                                Last edited by margaretmarch; 29-07-15, 15:55.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  If you can scan the certificate part where the occupation is we can try and help read it for you. Don't do the whole cert as that is against copyright . You can attach it to a post on here or put it on photobucket and give us the link.
                                  Margaret
                                  The layout of a BMD certificate is subject to Crown Copyright - not the information on it. You are quite free to show an image of the whole certificate if you want to (not that we need the whole thing).

Official guidance is here
                                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Ok not sure on how to add the photo, so I did the photobucket here is the url.

How to start a photo booth business? If you are looking for the answer, then this article has all the solutions. Start your own photo booth today & make money from it!

Hope that's right.

Thanks kim.
                                    Last edited by Kimmie89; 29-07-15, 16:45.

Comment

Civilian Clerk (Territorial Army)
                                      Shipping Clerk
                                      Glen

Comment

I read that as civilian clerk (Territorial army) & shipping clerk.

Jay

SNAP!
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-07-15, 17:03.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X